What Is This?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Anyone able to confirm what this might be?

1444351150_img_4564.jpg

Long story short: Dad found this on front concrete one morning many years back he'd decided I should run my detector over it for a laugh while the power was out recently.
It's quite heavy, magnetic, and left the mark on the ceramic cup.

Dad's curious to know if it is a meteorite or not and we've both got no idea what else it could be. His not wanting to cut it open as he likes knowing his got something fascinating to look at on his desk instead.

Hi Avenged, the find your dad made, looks very much like a stony meteorite (Chondrite) to me, complete with chrondules showing and a surface finish that looks about right........ and is that a piece of broken off outer crust on the back of the image. And finding it on the front yard concrete is also a possible indicator it could be one.

The only way to know if it is a meteorite is to get it checked out by the museum if you are in Victoria. I am certain that you can keep meteorites you find in Victoria, you just cant export them overseas.

There is a band of tektites sprayed over your neck of the woods also. Look in the sand dunes.

Please keep us updated and give us the verdict when a meteorite expert identifies your rock.

Cheers RDD

It looks like it contains quartz and maybe even crystalline grains in it. They are also quite visible with one being squarish so I'd say straight up not a meteorite. File/sand an edge off it, if there are no metallic flakes then definitely not a meteorite. AT probably has it right with the brown streak coming from fe content.
Jon

RedDirtDigger said:
Hi Avenged, the find your dad made, looks very much like a stony meteorite (Chondrite) to me, complete with chrondules showing and a surface finish that looks about right........ and is that a piece of broken off outer crust on the back of the image. And finding it on the front yard concrete is also a possible indicator it could be one.

The only way to know if it is a meteorite is to get it checked out by the museum if you are in Victoria. I am certain that you can keep meteorites you find in Victoria, you just cant export them overseas.

There is a band of tektites sprayed over your neck of the woods also. Look in the sand dunes.

Please keep us updated and give us the verdict when a meteorite expert identifies your rock.

Cheers RDD
Great to hear some meteorite terms and knowledge. I still doubt its one from one photo.

As great as your information is, in the past I've been told not to send things to the victorian museum if you want it back. They tend to keep things for a long time.. and then lucky bastard like me get to go downstairs and take them home :D

I've wanted to send things in...but I'd want to go and return with it personally to know Iit doesn't get 'lost'.

RedDirtDigger said:

Cheers RDD

Cheers RDD I'll have Dad look into a bit more. Never knew what was out our neck of the woods but does sound like fun to go out and have a look around a bit more.
I'll recommend him to go have to checked out by an expert and see what they say.

It could have been a slight bit of broken off outer crust, but the whole thing looks pretty much like the top side in this photo. It was quite hard to get a decent shot of this because of the shadows it kept throwing off. (We took this back in winter :8 ) So might be time I took another shot or two and see if we can get a better answer. But I'll still nag him to take it to an expert as I'm dying to know what it is myself!

Latest posts