respecting Aboriginal practices and culture when prospecting

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi people

i dont know much about bushcraft ( wish i did ) , and i dont know much about aboriginal culture and spiritual practices but does anyone know what protocols to follow when venturing on to significant sacred sites and lands ?

now first up the question could be applied to every inch of australia obviously .

secondly , i am referring more to bush locations in general , because we probably wouldnt enter any special sacred places for prospecting.

One thing i was told by an elder , was that before walking through an aboriginal gathering place or sacred place , that you take up a small pebble and throw it in to a pond or river and announce your intentions to the spirits there.
I assume that you would choose to offer greetings and your respect to the spirits before walking through.

it doesnt hurt to be respectful and polite , and who knows , giving out some happiness lifts everyone and it might improve your luck

any other customs or rituals to share ?

Most aborigines take kindly to you if you come bearing gifts, usually some of there bush tucker, a duck, some fish, bungarra, roo etc.

DD

mate just dont make a mess i belive it to be our land aswell and i treat it all the same with respected and most of the time leave it cleaner then when i arived as for there practices i leave that for them as i am an Aussie not an aboriginal person. ;)

Latest posts