Tasmania Quarantine Laws

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, I will be heading to Tassie in a few days for a holiday. I plan on sneaking in some prospecting at both Lune River (fossilised ferns and agates) and then the Weld River (sapphires). I was planning on taking some equipment like my sieves and a small shovel. The equipment has been used, but doesn't have any soil on it - am I likely to have any issues with Tassie quarantine when we get off at Hobart Airport?

Cheers

Pete

As long as there's no wood involved you should be alright. If worst case scenario, you might have to buy some tools there mabey.

You should ask about bringing back rocks on flights at the airport too, I don't know if they will carry them but I know the spirit of tassie can when you take your car

I don't know about that. I went to Tassie on Spirit of Tasmania and there was no quarantine. We had to surround LPG gas cylinders and fire arms to the crew. They would give it back when we arrived. No one asked us for anything else.

Wood should be ok, as in tool handles, etc.
Tasmania has quarantine on plants of certain families (seeds, potted) and soil, etc., but not wooden items, that's only Australia at the Commonwealth level, AFAIK.
Tools and so on should be totally fine.
Quarantine detector dogs only look for fresh fruit and veggies, and drugs.

Miguel.

Beagleboy said:
I don't know about that. I went to Tassie on Spirit of Tasmania and there was no quarantine. We had to surround LPG gas cylinders and fire arms to the crew. They would give it back when we arrived. No one asked us for anything else.
Yeah that's what I was saying, will be fine over the boat, a lady at the gem club just brought 2 tonnes of minerals back over on the boat :)

AtomRat said:
Beagleboy said:
Yeah that's what I was saying, will be fine over the boat, a lady at the gem club just brought 2 tonnes of minerals back over on the boat :)
Far out! Two tons?

Latest posts