gpx 5000 vs 2400 / 7000

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi I currently have a GPX 5000 jointly with a mate.

I am tempted to look at buying a 2400 ( or shutting the eyes and getting a 7000 )
Can anyone that owns multiple detectors give me some feedback on how and where they use both machines?
For example are you better to go over the same patch with 2 detectors?

Good hunting

scottlucky said:
Hi I currently have a GPX 5000 jointly with a mate.

I am tempted to look at buying a 2400 ( or shutting the eyes and getting a 7000 )
Can anyone that owns multiple detectors give me some feedback on how and where they use both machines?
For example are you better to go over the same patch with 2 detectors?

Good hunting

I think that many members here would say go with the SDC 2300 because a lot of them seem to do very well with them, I have not used one So my views are only based on the nuggets that they post here.

Ok well I am a bit biased as I own a 7000 but this is my take on things.

If you are content on going over mullock heaps and pulling quite a few smaller pieces and maybe getting the odd larger target a bit deeper then go the SDC

If you want to go for deeper larger targets and still get the small gold down to about .03gm (it is a bit more work with the larger machine) then go the 7000.

You will end up getting a lot more gold pieces with the SDC but you chance of getting a big deep nugget are reduced.

If you already have a GPX5000 with your mate then a SDC2300 will be a great complimentary machine.
Clean up any patches the GPX finds with the SDC. Any runs or patches of small bits you find with SDC can be double checked with the GPX for any deeper/bigger bits out of the SDC's reach.
All the better if both of you get out together - have both running & double check any finds areas with the alternate machine while the other keeps searching.
The SDC is great at picking up the prickly small gold (or any small gold really) & some specimen gold that the GPX can/does miss. That is where the GPZ comes into its own too. It will get those same bits like the SDC but a lot deeper.
For all intents & purposes though a SDC/GPX combo won't miss too much.
Other alternative sell the GPX & get a GPZ with your mate. Take turns digging & swinging :D

To add to Steelpats comments. If price is no object then what i'm about to say may be a little irrelevant, but i reckon you need to weigh up how much detecting you're actually going to be doing before you possibly outlay $10,000 or thereabouts on a detector. I would think that a 5000 would have covered a lot of deeper ground (not as deep as the 7000 but deeper than the 2300) to a certain extent so a 2300 may compliment that machine and is about $5000+ cheaper than a 7000. Alternatively you could consider selling the 5000 and the two of you go halves in the 7000 and then work as a team and probably dig lots of deep holes (hopefully for gold) or lots of shallow ones for the small gold with the one detector.
I'd personally keep the 5000 and buy the sdc to compliment it, but i'm biased towards the 2300 so you should take that into account as well. Good luck with your decision. :)

scottlucky said:
Good hunting

Concur with both Scrounger and Mbasko .....
I do own both a GPX (4800/Elite coil) and an SDC and on most outings both will get a run.
You seem to be aware of the pros/cons of the 3 machines so in specific response to your query, how and when do I use either or both .... .....

1 .. Search old known diggings with the SDC, if small stuff is found get out the GPX and do it again.
2 ...Search hillside reefs with no evident diggings with the GPX, if anything is found go back with the SDC.
3 ... The GPX/Elite results in deep targets being dug ..... when I'm stuffed put the GPX aware and swing the SDC.

Good luck with your decision,
Cheers T.

thanks for your feedback fellas
its a bit like the grass in always greener on the other side of the fence
I am swaying towards the 5000 / 7000 combination given there are 2 of us.
Just need to get the son as well as the designated digger!!!

I will keep you on the loop.

cheers Scotty

Hey Scotty,

I agree with all of the above as I also run the 5000 & SDC. Gives you options and options and all these options have been cover above. Sometimes it can be hard to put down the SDC as it always finds gold. No matter how small the gold is there is no better feeling than the first time you see that nugget,(all be it small) in the bottom of scope.

Looks like you may be going the 5000 & 7000 option which will cover most of the gold that's out there. Good luck with it and make sure you let us know how you go.

Use each unit to its strengths:

SDC - shallow, high mineralised, charcoal infested, old diggings, surfacing, rough or specimen gold, backpacking into hard to access areas, when it's raining and you just have to get out for a swing!

GPZ - more open flogged ground, iron encrusted gold, milder ground (take advantage of normal), ground with surface cover, known areas where you can happily sweep very slow

GPX - anywhere you can take advantage of having different search coil options, high EMI areas (a lot more tuning options, quiet audio, cancel etc), salty soils, patch hunting (lighter and happier with a faster sweep due to mono coils) and whenever you'd prefer to swing a lighter coil

Latest posts