Help with ID

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivarat

Brad Grant
Reaction score
I was out a couple of weeks ago and found a small outcrop in the bedrock best described as a greenstone with a white layer over the exposed part. Anyway I cracked off a piece and took it home. Tatong Victoria area
1442391039_photo0207.jpg

Finally got around to giving a slice a bit of a polish today. The colour of the actual stone is a bit darker than the photo probably due to the light on the microscope. This photo is at 10x magnification.
1442392175_still0007.jpg

Looking at the crystal structure in one of the little pit marks on the polished surface 60x magnification I believe there's a speck of gold.
1442392445_still0009.jpg

1442392445_still0012.jpg

Its got me buggered what sort of rock you have got there.. is it translucent or no light passes through?

Hard to tell if that's gold as well, almost looks like a conchoidal fracture and how they relect the light. If it stays visible at all angles its gold. If it fades away or dissapears its not.

What are you using to grind and polish large slab / slices? Flat lap?

I had the problem with the light reflecting off the crystals but that little spec appears a nice golden colour no matter which angle. Time will tell if it tarnishes or not. I know that there has been exploratory licences in the area before but have no found payable quantities.
At the moment all I'm using is a tile saw which I picked up at last weeks Shepparton swap meet, a 4 sided diamond sharpening stone (an Aldi special) grit size 200 to 600 then on to 1200 wet and dry, followed by a quick buff on the polishing wheel mounted in the drill, it has probably got some metal polishing compound left on it from polishing some brass.
Heres a little Breechwoth agate I also did yesterday
1442476824_photo0221.jpg

I think, I solved it. I've had some in the tumbler and parts of it seem to have mica like inclusions, giving it a sparkling effect. Hard to get a sparkling effect in a photo but most of the little bright spots are in the stone. Aventurine ???
1479367116_20120105_192151.jpg

I have some Aventurine here that has that same effect.... not sure where mine came from tho :rolleyes: and no golden flakes ..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Is there a fracture near your Gold flake where a piece of Brass could have gotten caught in your polishing process?

LoneWolf....

I'll have to see if I can find that piece. It's over a year since I first posted it so it should have tarnished if it is brass. Now where did I put it.

Latest posts