Metal detector choice - X-terra 705 or Garrett Infinium

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ziggy

Peter
Reaction score
Ok guys first question, as I'm a complete newby to detecting I need some opinions from people that have used an Minelab Xterra 705 or Garrett Infinium or both. I've read about these two a fair bit and the pricing is affordable for me.

There's no point for someone with my level of experience spending huge money on the top of the range detectors at this point in time. If the bug bites hard ill lash out and keep the other detector as a backup/spare.

Cheers Peter.

The infinium is a great machine for the beach and goldfields. nqexplorers on youtube is the best expert in Australia to talk with about how the machine works down here.

Hi Ziggy,

On paper there's a number of key differences between the two detectors. I'll list a few of the important ones to consider below.

Minelab X-TERRA 705
Technology: VFLEX (Enhanced VLF)
Visual Display: YES
Water Proof: NO, optional rain cover available
Learning Curve - Minimal

Garrett Infinium LS
Technology: PI (Pulse Induction)
Visual Display: NO
Water Proof: Fully Submersible
Learning Curve - High

Another important factor is where and what you'll be chasing. If it's mainly gold your after or for underwater use, I would buy the Infinium, otherwise I'd go with the 705 because of its versatility, visual display and it's lighter. Of course that's only personal opinion so best not to base your buying decision solely on that :D

Cheers,
Nugget

the infinium is nice and light if you wear the box on your belt. but a visual display and ground balance window is great on the AT Gold and its waterproof as well.

If you give your location someone with mentioned detectors might let you have a go with theirs..........first hand experience have greater value and is much preferred.

ivanll

The 705 with two coils was just under a $1000 so price is better. To use straight away I've got a lot of beaches and parks which will be usefull to learn. I was hiring the 705 from Parramatta to use at my mates near Windeyer. The hiring fee was very reasonable I thought, its $45 per day, if you hire it for a 3 day weekend they only charge for 2 days.

I haven't seen anywhere that would hire an Infinium. If any of you have any ideas let me know, the way I look at it if I can physically try both ill soon work out what suits me. Being new to this a lot of the technical jargon will leave me with more questions. Has anyone used both?

Cheers Peter

Ivan you just posted what I was thinking, I live in the Wollongong area.

Tassie I think the visual display for me would be good because I'd get visual feedback on what I'm hearing.
Also what's the main reason that some people use earphones, is it only to block outside noises or are you able to hear the slight signals better, meaning your less likely to miss something.

I'm in Cairns and have used both for years, I'm also the only one that have ever taken an Infinium LS into a Metal Detection Championship amongst 80 ML users (Coolgardie Oct. 2007) come North and have a try for yourself. :cool:

Our local detector/prospecting suppy shop often have demo units for loan and run a montly Beach/Park outing where interested persons can come for a demo/try......and it's free.

I've made a number of forum posts with links to my pictures from some of the outings..........it's kind of good fun.

ivanll

Without going into good, better, best, i was recently on the verge of buying an Infinium, i own a Garrett AT Pro and a Minelab CTX, the 1st question i ask myself? is the machine waterproof. This may not matter to some, but i am out in all sorts of weather, i dont run from a storm, i keep hunting, unless of course there's lightning involved. I like to beach hunt and in summer i like to wade out to about chest deep and hunt the troughs. I am mainly a coin and relic hunter but i have a patch of pvt land that has alot of mullock heaps, so i made the decision i need a PI detector, but i cant cough the $6k for the GPX5000, so i was going to give the infinium a go over all sorts of terrain and see how it went on the gold. I pulled the pin on the Infinium because a little bird told me Garrett has a new PI machine due for release in August, so i put the hold in the Infinium for now.

I picked up a PI machine this morning an old Minelab SD2200V2 (its actually newer than the GP Xtreme i used to own and bought new), and that will do me for now for the gold hunting, buuut i am soooo concious that its not water proof it bugs me already.

So ask the question, do you now or maybe later require a waterproof machine, and if so tick that box and dont look at anything that isnt.

Just another opinion in amongst a load of opinions :D

All the best with it

cheers
Tony

I have owned an AT Gold for 5 months now and I have found 5 nuggets with it but it really struggles on the mineralised ground. You can tune it out but it just doesn't have the punch of a PI machine. I am very interested in buying an Infinium because I love to hunt in water and all sorts of weather. I will have to sell the AT to upgrade but I am buying an ACE250 to go after coins and relics. My mate uses a 250 and has been pretty successful so far. I would love to hear from anyone using an Infinium in the Golden Triangle as that is where I will be going after gold. I have found one nugget up there but most of my finds with the AT have been in clay outside of the golden triangle. I live in an area that rains a lot so waterproof is a big part of my decision. Hope to hear from an Infinium user soon !

Ziggy still hasn't mentioned whether or not he wants the detector for gold, coins and relics or both. The answer to this question could help to identify a suitable option.

Cheers,
Nugget

Ziggy said:
Tassie I think the visual display for me would be good because I'd get visual feedback on what I'm hearing.
Also what's the main reason that some people use earphones, is it only to block outside noises or are you able to hear the slight signals better, meaning your less likely to miss something.

I wear headphones most of the time
1: to stop external ambient noise
2: the most important? You can hear your targets clearer especially in junk.

I am a sounds man and only look at visuals to confirm what i am thinking, they are handy, but i can and have lived without a display, you get a feel for it.

Hi all The wife and I are interested in Gold detecting we are both new players and are starting to look for detectors to purchase. I am thinking about getting the AT Gold I have sorced a new one with full warranty for $650.We live in Gympie Queensland and are starting this new hobby mainly to find gold any advice as to where to look or type of detector to buy is appreciated. :D

Hi MeandMel, welcome to the forum.

If you can get your hands on a new AT Gold for $650 (providing its genuine) I'd say grab it, they retail for around the $800-$900 mark and are a great beginner / intermediate Gold detector. They're certainly no GPX 5000 but they are a stand out machine in their own right.

Cheers,
Nugget

Latest posts