You are not logged in.

• Register to access all forum features  

Creekfossicker
01 September 2015 01:42 am

I'm new to fossicking. I found this rock last week and think I'm on to a rock laced with gold. Is this gold ?1441032140_image.jpg

1 user likes this post: silver

AtomRat
01 September 2015 01:45 am

Very hard to tell from that photo sorry mate

Wisdom is knowing how little you know

Martin
01 September 2015 02:30 am

Doesn't look like gold.

Maybe a bigger photo with the whole rock in it.

Gear: Minelab CTX 3030 and PRO-FIND 25 Pinpointer
www.mineralcollectiononline.com - My Minerals, Fossils and Collectables website

Flitgold
01 September 2015 12:43 pm

Yes it does look like gold...but a bit more perspective would be ideal

silver
01 September 2015 12:58 pm

If it is,.... I hope it's just a small bit you chipped off the mountain. yikes wink

What a great day ! ,... " I'll see you in the field ".

1 user likes this post: Ryan27

Metamorphic
Gone Walkabout
Gone Walkabout
01 September 2015 10:30 pm

HI CF and welcome to PA.

There is an old saying mate.....if there is any doubt that what your looking at is gold, then it isnt!

Gold is very distinguishable and would be quite obvious in the amounts you beleive are involved with your rock.

Read some of the other threads mate......good advice in the only way to tell is crush and pan!

Even if its a bit distorted color wise by oxidization, weathering etc , You must utilize its specific gravity to tell you for sure.

But sadly no....it dont look like gold to me dude!

Regards

Meta wink

(PMAV member) There is no better indication of a lot of gold, than a little gold - Sam Cash.

4 users like this post: Ryan27, Big Nugget, WalnLiz, Chewy

Chewy
02 September 2015 12:53 am

Sorry, not this time. I don't think it is gold, would be noticeably heavy for it's size.

Here gold gold gold gold.

BigWave
19 January 2016 03:16 pm

Ways to determine gold include:
1. Compare its weight to a similar host rock of the same size. A VERY noticeable weight difference will get you excited, but will not be definitive.
2. Specific Gravity Test, but you have to know precisely what the host rock is.
3. The Scratch Test - scratch the "gold" areas and see if the scratches and caused by brittleness or deformation. Silicates are brittle (including Pyrites) providing chips and dust, whereas gold is ductile and will only deform.
4. Measure conductivity with an ohmmeter (this is my favourite). Put both probe tips on the same target grain without touching each other and if you get a reading of a few ohms or less, then get very excited. Try on other grains. Sometimes these grains are connected within the host material. This would be gold.
5. Crush and Pan. This will destroy a potentially valuable specimen, but is a definitive test.
6. The final test is really for the experienced and careful. Etch with a dilute (5%) concentration of Hydroflouric Acid (HF) for a few days to 1 week. This will dissolve ironstone, silicates (Mafic and Felsic) etc, but will not touch the gold. Be VERY careful with using and neutralising/disposing of this acid. Use proper body protection! Use only Nitrile gloves!

GPX-4500, ETrak, Direction Finding Daughter

2 users like this post: kawman, Phoenix76

Dig'n-it
19 January 2016 08:45 pm

I'd be giving a small section a scrape with a knife to see how soft it is and whether you get a nice bright gold showing as opposed to the seeming dull look as shown in the picture.
Good luck

GPX 4500, pick, Jeep Cherokee and gold fever

Contact Us - Privacy Policy - Terms Of Service

View Desktop Site