What is the best coil for GPX4500 to find sub 1g in the Vic GT?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've just bought a GPX4500 and wondering what is the best coil for picking up small shallow gold (sub 1g) in the Victorian Golden Triangle, which is typically highly mineralised. The guy at the shop I bought it from was very indecisive so I walked away with nothing to do the job. I do have the standard 11" DD and 15x12" Mono that came with it, but thinking I may need something smaller. From what I understand a small DD will handle the mineralisation better, but I here a lot of people raving about small mono's. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I'm so desperate to find some yellow around diggings. Cheers Dig'n-it. :)

Hi Dig'n-it, I have had a 4500 since its release. While there is some hot ground in Vic where you need a DD coil, in most places a small mono will find the sub grammers and the 0.1 and 2's. I have done well with the nugget finder sadie coil on the 4500. Going slow and low over flogged diggings you can find small bits (unless they have been done to death with an SDC 2300).

PS don't be afraid to rake thick accumulations of leaves and sticks off diggings/mullock heaps sides, probably means they have not been detected for small gold with a SDC.
cheers RDD

The 11mono will do the job and has good ground coverage, any smaller coil 8 ml mono great coil ,sadie coils are good I also have a 10x5 nf mono also great coil,i think I would go for a 8 ml mono good depth and has a little more ground coverage than the others any of these coils will do the job everyone has different preferences the main thing is to concentrate and learn what the detector is telling you regards john :)

You could also try the coiltek elite 14 " camo coil, its super sensetive at finding sub grammers down to 6-8" + it punches pretty deep for bigger nuggs.. best of both worlds i reckon :)

Thanks guys ..... all good input. I'm thinking I'll go with a 8" ML mono or NF Sadie. I really do appreciate the assistance. Cheers. Hope to see you out there.
Cheers Dig'n-it :)

I have to agree it's not so much the coil but the operator that finds the small ones however I have had good success with ml 8" mono or coiltek 14 x 9 mono blitz and the new coiltek 14" elite will also punch a bit deeper if you have the arm strength to carry it around all day.

Rege-PA said:
A 6in Round Detech Mono will ferret them out.

Couldnt agree more mate!

The new Detech coils are fast becoming known for their power and lightweight.

The 6" mono round works an absolute treat on my TDI Pro Oz series on the small bits in the mullocks.

Cheers

Wayne ;)

G'day Dig'n-it don't be afraid to use the 15x12 mono that came with it, it will find 0.1g and up no worries, just go low and slow
and don't be afraid to experiment with the gain and stabiliser, a bit more gain might just perk up those faint targets.

Never tried that John . Does that effectively turn it into a 11x5 mono or is it just a smaller dd. I normally use the Sadie but more options is always better.

Don't know why I said 11x5. Meant 7.5x6 (half 15x12)?

It turns a DD into a mono only using half the coil from memory ,a friend is using a gp extreme with a 11 inch commander DD and the front switch in mono he is finding small gold at a good depth over the last 8 week he has 22 grams using the detector this way. Its worth try and with the later model detector we have a lot more control over how the detector runs regards john :)

markgoldhunter said:
I have to agree it's not so much the coil but the operator that finds the small ones however I have had good success with ml 8" mono or coiltek 14 x 9 mono blitz and the new coiltek 14" elite will also punch a bit deeper if you have the arm strength to carry it around all day.

I agree, my favourite coil at the moment is the Coiltek 14 x 9 blitz. It will pick up sub-grammers with ease in shallow ground around Vic, and have picked up 0.1g nuts in WA with it, minutes after being told my 5000 would be useless in this flogged out area and that I needed an SDC2300 :)
I am keen to give the new coiltech camo a run though. I have heard good things about it.

:cool:
Hi all.
Im just about to get my new 4500 in the mail..
Im looking foward to having a scratch around..
Im up in Darwin and wondering if anyone knows of any fossicking areas within 100 kays of D town

12x7" NF or 8" Commander would be my choices, but the 11" Commander does a top job as well, and capable of a bit more depth if you happen to swing over a gram+ bit.

Metamorphic said:
Rege-PA said:
A 6in Round Detech Mono will ferret them out.

Couldnt agree more mate!

The new Detech coils are fast becoming known for their power and lightweight.

The 6" mono round works an absolute treat on my TDI Pro Oz series on the small bits in the mullocks.

Cheers

Wayne ;)

I was told not long back the Detech coils were pretty good, not to expensive either, the 6" sounds like a good match for the TDI so would probably work good on our SPP as well. How would you compare the Detech coils when used on the Whites machines to the Minor Johns or Razorbacks. (if you have used the MJ & RB coils that is).

Most coils from the 15 x12 ml down will find sub 1g pieces the important thing is the detector is set up properly and the operator is on the ball regards john :)

Latest posts