Shu Roo electronic kangaroo deterrent

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
I am looking to possible get one of these fitted to my soft-roader in the absence of a bullbar, anyone using them or just the cheapy plastic ultrasonic whistles? They are pretty pricey at around $500-550, though might be good insurance if effective. :)

1440498061_img_20150825_195304.jpg

I used to use the roo whistles and never hit a roo front on. Had a big one hop parallel with me though and slam into the side door up Cooma way. The whistles are cheap so worth putting on as cheap insurance imo. Those ones you're talking about though Goldpick are pretty exie though.

When I was younger and lived out west, we used to just turn off the headlights and keep on cruising. Figured they would see us and get out of the way. Never hit a roo doing this. ;)

Ramjet said:
When I was younger and lived out west, we used to just turn off the headlights and keep on cruising. Figured they would see us and get out of the way. Never hit a roo doing this. ;)

Did you ever end up in the bush :p from all reports the cheapie whistles work we sell alot from my work.

i wonder if the whistles work better at higher speeds because my wife had some on her subaru and cleaned up a smallish roo when she was only doing about 60 kph out Heathcote way.

bushpig said:
Ramjet said:

Did you ever end up in the bush :p from all reports the cheapie whistles work we sell alot from my work.

Never ran off the road. S uprising how much light y he moon and stars throw out.

Goldpick

Helena Bender from Melbourne Uni analysed how well these and Roo Guard worked and found they make no difference at all to animal strikes. She found the frequency of the devices wasn't even in the sensitive portion of the roo hearing. They don't work.

http://hdl.handle.net/11343/38945

From the shoo roo website FAQ:
Q. Will the kangaroos run away?
A. No
Q. Does buying a ShuRoo guarantee that I will never again collide with an animal?
A. No

Save your money.

Jon

Well wouldn't be any good mounting it on my defender then. I can't hear myself think half the time, and that's inside the truck :lol:It has got a serious bullbar though. :)

Have ended up just going for a figure 8 ECB bar for the front of the Outlander, bit better protection than a nudge bar even though it isn't the prettiest thing in the world. Not many other choices for a monocoque chassis.

I did try the cheapy whistles back in the early nineties for when I drove across the Nullabor and back, didn't see a single live Kangaroo on either trip, even during dawn/dusk driving - go figure. :eek:

I've driven the Nullabor many times and not seen a roo as well. I have also hit a few across there on a couple of trips. I reckon the best policy is always to drive as the conditions demand it.
Jon

Took a roo down the side of my old ute whistles attached, big bugger dented the door so hard you couldnt get it open. No sense in that small head cavity they have mate. Been cleaned up out bush on the bike a couple of times they just go kamakazi when they get spooked. Bull bar and a bit of luck is my honest method, whilst on the road, I have commuted for years through roo country roo shoo or not you're bound to collect a numbskull one in the end.

Best protection is a good insurance policy.

I've hit roos with and without whistles. Like someone else said there is always that one idiot that will change direction and hit you.

Latest posts