Bundy Ben, X-terra 705 finds

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bundy Ben

Ben
Reaction score
Well, it will be 2 months tomorrow since I added the 705 to my collection & so far I am impressed.
I guess I have put somewhere in the vicinity of 50 hours into to learning its (and the coils) capabilities. Give me a week or so and I will total up a coin count. Mostly concentrating on pre-decs but have done a few beach & park sessions that yielded a few spendables.
Currently running both the 7.5khz concentric & 10x5 DD 18.75khz that come with the standard gold pack. I find the DD separating better in the trashy ground that I have been targeting of late so bit the bullet and have the coiltek 15" 18.75 on it's way.

Anyway... This is the tally this week since last Sunday morning. Total of about 8hrs swinging in 2 newly researched & permitted areas.
1439464324_image.jpg

Very happy with the silvers Ramjet, couldn't find a halfpenny for 7 weeks & then found 5 this week.

Amachris, research mate, lots of time looking on the ol' net & following up leads. I have probably spent as much time on the net & checking out small museums as what I have actually using the 705.
The 3 silvers here came from an old railway station, the line was closed 50 years ago. Hardly even a sign that any of the line existed, let alone the stations that are all long gone. Still trying to find the whereabouts of the other stations.
Best of luck & hope you get yours soon.

At first glance it had a handful of spots treasureman but when you dig through the research and start looking out to the 150km mark from town... Then it's endless spots to try. I have learnt so much about the towns history in the last 2 months. :)

beast of a coil. how far back in history have you been researching bundy? or how old are some of the towns?

treasureman said:
beast of a coil. how far back in history have you been researching bundy? or how old are some of the towns?

Earliest 2 areas are about 1850s one to the south about 50k & the other west about 170km. Bundy itself, 1880s onwards. Oldest coin so far is an 1872 Brit penny found on a railway station that opened around the 1890s. Second oldest was 1879 found at an old township to the north (long gone except a few trees) up near Miriamvale.
Even though nowhere near as old as southern states, plenty of places to try. Within a few hours we have many old gold & copper mining areas dotted through the ranges & plenty of old towns that were there with them. Even in my own yard I have found a thripence, several pennies & a half penny.
On old copper smelter up in the ranges 1900s (heritage area that one so a no-go area) but managed to track down an old town nearby that turned a few surprises for us
1439554539_image.jpg

Our session working an old area mate with an AT Pro & me on the 705.
1439554807_image.jpg

excellent research and results. looks promising and what is the old brick building? copper smelter?
i think youll find some goodies in the months to come

That was the chimney at the smelter site. There was actually 2 within a few hundred meters of each other. Managed to get a town plan that showed where every house block was... & the pubs :)

Yeah mate, 1913 was the last at area was worked. Hardly a sign of the old township at all except the trash in the ground. :)
Currently working closer to town an an abandoned township that went from 1896 - 1990. All houses removed, slashed grass & about 18 acres of territory... To many places, not enough time ;)

Finally, one of those good days. :)

Got a few solid hours in this morning and found a little glory hole, finally giving me some confidence to keep hunting this particular area.

The better half wanted in on the action so went back out this arvo for another sesh. She picked where she wanted to have a go (never picked up a detector in her life) & I was the digger. Within 10 minutes her 1st coin ever was the 1954 florin (top right). After awhile the 15" coiltek got a bit heavy for her so changed it back to the 10" minelab and starred her over to the place I was at this morning. Within 2 meters she had her next 2 coins (thripences, top right). Bugger me, beginners luck!!
After another 20 minutes she was done so had a quick blast myself walking back to to car & managed the last penny of the day.

Anyways, hopefully will have some more tomorrow night, teaming up with a mate and starting early for tomorrow
1440232621_image.jpg

1440232554_image.jpg

Latest posts