Polish for tumbling jasper

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Explorer385

Terry Rushton
Reaction score
Hi all,

Got some nice pieces of jasper from around Pebbly Beach and have tumbled them with 220 grit, then 400, then 600 for about a week each. Tumbled in a barrel reserved for polish only with tin oxide for a week but they are still a bit dull.

Is tin oxide ok for jasper or should I use a different polish. Have some cerium but haven't used it on them yet.

Lovely smooth round pebbles but a bit dull. Want them to really shine.

Any advice appreciated.

Terry

I use Cerium Oxide for all my final stage tumbling, most rocks come up with a nice finish. For the few that dull up once dry, i find rubbing a dab of cooking oil on the rock can solve this.

I've never had any problems using Tin Oxide on jaspers both tumbling & cabbing- It always brings them up to a fine polish. Cerium also works OK

Dug hug,

How long do you leave them in the tumbler?

How much tin oxide do you use?

Do you do a soap tumble after that?

Terry

Terry,

I've a small 2lb vibrator & use a couple of teaspoons full - generally takes 2 to 4 days max for the polish. Followed by a couple of hours in clean water with a couple of drops of dishwashing detergent.

The Rotary tumbler takes a lot more tin oxide about 3 tablespoons heaped for each lb then I run it for a week. Same again a short wash with clean water & a few more drops od dishwashing detergent for a few hours.

I use the same quantities of either Tin Oxide or Cerium.

The Rotary tumbler is heaps slower but rounds the stones more than the vibrator which polishes quickly while retaining the shape of the original stone.

:)

I've a small 2lb vibrator & use a couple of teaspoons full - generally takes 2 to 4 days max. Followed by a couple of hours in clean water with a couple of drops of dishwashing detergent.

This sounds sooooooo wrong on sooooooo many levels. Lol ;)

Chewy - Oooops, per the thread I was referring to the polish stage only. Obviously time for the grinding & pre-polish stages need to be factored in. :lol:

Thanks Dug. I think Chewy was getting excited by a 2lb vibrator! Lol.

But seriously, thanks.

I've actually got the jasper in now with a teaspoon of 20,000 diamond grit.

Was going to look at it in a week and see how they look.

Terry

Latest posts