Ultrasonic Cleaners for Coins

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day

Got one of the Aldi machines awhile ago and the kids and I spent a few hours putting anything we could find in it. They do a good job for the price, I put all my rock specimens, keys, watch, jewellery, DVDs through. Seems pretty tough. It will strip the paint off a plastic soldier like a snake shedding its skin :D

Cheers

Chimpy

Hay Nugget,

I used to use Industrial sized ultrasonic cleaners for cleaning fine stainless oil filters from aircraft and they do a great job.
You can clean almost anything in them providing it can handle the frequency and the liquid.
They would be great for cleaning nuggets and specimens that's for sure.

Cheers
Mick

They're absolutely great on nuggets, especially coarse grainy ones and a must for any delicate jewelery. Even good for cleaning under your fingernails when you get home from playing in the mud after a days prospecting. :D

cheers Wal,

Hi All,

Can the ultrasonic jewellery cleaner units be used to clean up beach coins?

I've seen a few cheap 40000hz units on flea bay and wondered if they have enough power to loosen up the muck.

Ive been finding a dozen or so coins each time I go to the beach and they're starting to add up :)

Cheers,
Tim

I just started using one on my finds seems to remove dirt but not years of petina Doesn't matter if silver or copper or modern however does a great job on jewelary.
1438860031_image.jpg

As above, good for loosening and removing soil from nooks and crannys on coins/jewellery, but anything harder than that and they aren't so effective.

If you want to clean bulk lots of coins, especially beach coins with corrosion, a rock/gemstone tumbler is the way to go, though might seem too expensive for some. They can be purchased from most lapidary shops, Lortone is probably one of the more well known brands out there. :)

1438955210_image.jpg
I have seen home made tumblers made from copy machines. BUT here is a Xpo of above product you be the judge.
1438953840_image.jpg
B4. I have used the key way to represent a flat coin & a 1921 penny (seen better days)
1438954217_image.jpg
1438954313_image.jpg
. 15 min wipe - turn (change water)15 min. ..My thoughts , not a coin restorer device. Maybe more affective on jewellery It worked on the ring I found recently.
1438955301_image.jpg

If only I could find more rings, my very first outing I found 2 gold rings in about 10 minutes.

Now I'm the king of 5 cent pieces and tent pegs lol

Just some questions to someone who may have the Aldi Ultrasonic Cleaner, we picked one up this morning and have put in a few coins found on the beach, using water with a couple of drops of detergent and they have had possibly a total of about 10 minutes to breaks to cool, at this stage not a great deal has happened, the water has gone very slightly brown and there is small amount of residue on the bottom of the cleaner, but none of the coins look much different, how long do they normally get left if they are not badly marked, these are mostly ones that have been in the sand for some time and lost their shine. One 5 cent coin has a dark film over it, but nothing seems to be happening with it.

Graham

I have a jaycar ultra sonic. It doesn't clean coins either, haven't tried to much I tumble my coins now. Manly got the ultra sonic for cleaning the dirt out of any gold that I may find, for that it is excellent.

Peter

My experience with ultrasonic cleaners is similar to Peter's - useless for coins, but good for jewellery where dirt, sand and grime have infiltrated tiny crevices. Even then, they don't work miracles.

Ok, thanks for the answers, looks like we have to try and find more jewellery, nothing so far. Get $4.90 first evening, $2.40 on the second, $0.55 cents on the third and nothing except bottle tops and lead last night. Seems like we are heading in the wrong direction, thought that the beach's we did would be good as have big caravan parks above them, but it looked like only the drinkers carry things down there and leave them.

Be careful when cleaning jewellery with gemstones with a ultra sonic cleaner you can damage the stones

Latest posts