Getting fittings onto canvas layflat hose

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bundyjd

John
Reaction score
I bought a roll of this 38mm canvas layflat http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-5-38mm...57?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item20f01132e9

Just tried to put some aluminium camlock fittings on it, and I can't for the life of me get it to slip over the fittings. It just barely goes onto the first barb of the fitting, but refuses to go any further. I tried warming it with the wife's hair dryer and putting liquid soap on the fitting but still no go.

Is there a trick to this, or do I have a faulty hose? I have emailed the seller to ask but don't expect to get much joy there.

How smooth is the surface on the cam locks. ?
If it is a bit rough, Try smoothing it with some wet and dry first.
Don't worry about taking the sharp edges of the barbs. We only run about 30 to 40 psi pressure.
Not 200 to 300. LOL
Then do the soap/Talcum/hair dryer trick.
And use Band Clamps. Not radiator hose clamps. :D
These are the type that have a bolt through them. Not worm drive.
That is a good deal for that type of hose.

Soaking in hot water certainly helps. Are you absolutely sure the hose matches the fitting size? Ive only had issues when ive made mistakes by a couple of mm.

Band clamps are always the go, good call Tathradj!

fabric hoses are designed to be really tight, you are supposed to soak them and you can also use a grease on the camlock. i use timken automotive bearing grease i have a paintbrush in the tin coat lightly once the water hits it it goes pretty hard.

You may have purchased the wrong type of camlock ie. theres a threaded joiner (part f) and then there's a sleeve type, does it have one way beveled edge to hold the hose on?

should be part e or part c

Different-cam-lock-couplings.jpg

I'm using Part C fittings.

I'll try smoothing out the barbed section on the fittings as per Tathradj's suggestion and soak the hose in hot water for a while.

Thanks guys

yeh i think you'll be right then mate, its just that those hoses once on will never come off and they are going to last forever. you cant have both flexible and long lasting on one cloth.

only thing i dislike about cloth hose is it grabs mud like a demon and its muddy down here :)

I just got a reply back from the seller suggesting I cut a couple of 25mm slits in the hose, then rest the camlock on the ground with the tail pointing up and push the hose down onto it.

I assume that I then just trim the excess off the hose with a blade once I get it on.

I guess I'd better get some band clamps too before I start, because it sounds like the hose won't be coming back off in a hurry!

wow thats a really wierd things to say, why should you have to cut your hose? id be going down the grease the crap out of it path first mate. use a mallet to tap into the hose as well.

Also try using the tabs to pull the hose down over the barbs.
Think along the lines of a Chinese finger trap.
In other words, The material is bunching up and tightening the hose
not allowing it to slip on.
Oh, Don't forget to slide your clamps on up the hose first. :D
I do it all the time, Spend an hour setting and soldering a plug on then find I did not put a rubber boot on first. :lol:

Haha, yeah I thought it was a bit odd too but I don't think I will miss an inch off each end of a 20m hose.

Hopefully it won't actually work like a chinese finger trap or I will have trouble typing another please help thread on here with my fingers stuck in a hose :)

Solved.
You got me curious so I went had had a look at my cam locks and fabric hose.
Have a look at the barbs on the cam lock. You will see the first one is slightly larger than the others then there is another one half way up.
I cut the cam lock barbs of in front of the second one leaving about 3 or 4 left.
I then cut 2 slots opposite up the canvas hose about 20 mm long.
Using dish washing liquid, I got two pairs of pliers then pulled it down over the barbs.
It is a tight fit but does go on.
Don't worry about the hose coming off. As I said before, We only pump at 30 to 40psi. Not 2 or 300 psi.
And ONLY use band clamps.
I use this as an example.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/T-Bolt-H...70?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item2a52c8c626
Thanks to Ebay and the seller.

i second the t claps i use nothing else, mind you i pay about $4.50 for mine and they are brass and stainless but none... not one has ever let me down.... ever

They also being designed for heavy use, have rounded edges to stop them from cutting the hose
when under pressure. :D :D

very true, i used ot wrap my layflat with duct tape before putting those little clamps on, no need with the hd ones eh mate

Nope. :)
I have had a think about doing that but the clamps I have pose no problem.
If it did it would give me some thing to think about. LOL

Any idea which size clamp would be the right fit?

CLAMP HOSE H/D T-BOLT SS304 JBS 36-39MM

CLAMP HOSE H/D T-BOLT SS304 JBS 38-41MM

CLAMP HOSE H/D T-BOLT SS304 JBS 40-43MM

I'm guessing the second one.....

bye the sounds of it your second one might be a bit tight, it has to get over the lips on the insert i'd go bigger and you can always tape and clamp.

Latest posts