Cape York

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RnV

Rob
Reaction score
Hi all I'm doing a trip to cape York next month any ideas of places to have a look around and do some detecting . We will be up there for a month taking the caravan so limited a bit on some of the tracks

I presume it's an off-road spec. van. It'll have the sxxt shaken out of it. Your choice though. I would prefer and swags / stretchers and an gazebo type cover.
Jaros :D

If you can see if you can get a book called " back of Cairns " or " the Tim Scatchers "
Ion Iddress travelled through the area extensively around the turn of the century. there may be some places he mentions that ring a bell. if not he is a good read anyway.
Enjoy safe travels.

Mate
Cape York is a big place!!! is there "Gold" up there??? YES !!! there is, around Coen, Starkie etc have a look at Minemapsonline, get some info from Gold & Ghosts book, your biggest problem will be getting permission, have a chat to George at MinersDen he may help with "General" info.
cheers
Lee

Thanks lee it is a big place we are spending a month up there I've got a few weeks to do some research before we leave
Rob

Hey Rob,

PM me and I will give you some contact details of property owners up that way. Not promising anything though mate.

BP

Hi folks,

The missus and I have been told by a local that it is probably ok to camp and detect the Wenlock/Batavia Goldfields because he sees people there all the time!!!

Can anyone confirm if this is correct? Want to do the right thing and not have to panic whenever we here a vehicle on the road.

Any other info on the area would be much appreciated.

Will be in the area in the next week or two.

Cheers

Den & Linda.

Rvn get yourself a book called "The new Chum" by John Hay there is good detail about all the gold fields up there. Try contacting the Lockhart River council for information about accessing fields the Wenlock and if you are nice they may let you head northeast towards the blue Mountain area if your into heading into the wilderness. Otherwise if you contact the Depertment of natural resources they will be able to assist you will details on the stations.

Thanks Northern Gold,

Will be in Cooktown tomorrow, hopefully be able to find book or maps their.

Thought we had finished Golding when we left Georgetown so this is a spur of the moment thing.
Else wise we would have done a bit more research on the area.

Den & Linda

Thanks guys for the tips definitely want to check out the wenlock .
Hey bp can't pm yet
Rob

Wenlock/Batavia Goldfields ........... My first gold stompin' grounds from back in my Weipa days .

Yes, you can 'free camp' there ......... and they are relatively easy to access.

After you cross the Archer River, (Stop for an Archer Burgher there, they're quite famous - and filling !)
turn right at the Lockhart Road turn-off [heading towards the East Coast] travel for about 18 -20 ks till you hit the Wenlock River.
This road is frequently graded as it is the main access route to the Lockhart River community
50 meters or so up over the crossing ..... immediately turn left, follow any of those tracks and you're there !!

Tracks are sometimes a bit rough, especially after the Wets but 'drive to the conditions' and you'll be OK.

Alternatively, take the second left turn-off (under one k from the crossing) follow for around 2 k's will take you past heaps
of diggings, shafts (some very deep!) and hills 'n gullies ..................

Some great level camping spots there, reasonably secluded, apart from the occasional but rare visits of local hunters from Weipa and the Archer areas.
Cattle sometimes also wander through from closer properties, brumbies, marsupials galore, echidnas, heaps of birdlife .................
........... and wild-eyed prospectors.
Rarely see snakes, sometimes scorpions (watch for them under rocks and dead branches) and the inevitable face-clinging Golden Orb spideys !

You can drive back down to the river crossing for a wash 'n a splash and fill the water tanks - but boil before drinking any.

If you wander from camp on foot when you're prospecting - mark your camp and take your GPS - getting lost there will give you anguish !

After the Archer River Roadhouse, they ain't nuffin' there till Weipa, 180 k's away.

Trust this helps ........ and your gold will be 'hard won' ...... but the trip will be great !

Thanks for the info pedro we plan to camp along the wenlock somewhere
Where we can get the van to
Rob

No problem Rob .... my response was primarily to Qlden's enquiry ................

For you [and Qlden?]:
If you take the FIRST LEFT turn once through the crossing and then KEEP LEFT .... this follows the RIGHT bank of the Wenlock,
albeit on the high side of the river - there are many great places to camp with your 'van, with plenty of turning room .....
and magic views of the river and it's wildlife. And easy access down to the river .

The high side is good .... on account the big biteys don't like to climb !!
Most SHALLOW sandbars are OK to frolic in .................. but deep, dark, green areas ARE NOT !!
Swim in these ONLY if you DON'T wish to keep your legs ATTACHED ....... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Another alternative for your 'van is: just BEFORE the crossing take the last turn to the RIGHT.
A good road/track will terminate in a nice, cleared area at the end of a great lagoon/billabong. Tons of cleared space, generally pretty secluded
and well worth a day or few, just for the solitude .....
River and billabong both hold barra, saratoga, sleepy cod, perch and probably others forgotten, as well as the aforementioned biteys !

Swim here also ONLY if you DON'T wish to keep your legs ATTACHED ....... :eek: :eek: :eek:

AND there are no shallow sandbars here, only deep, dark and green ....
Land-locked river pools and lagoons are prime areas for territorially challenged crocs ..... it ain't worth the risk !
Even the smallee ones can fetch you a nasty suck ..... and no, you can't see them coming !

Lots to see everywhere, you really shouldn't miss it if you can accept that it is remote and takes some getting there.
I'll be going back next year, after the Wets .... long trip for me from the Sunshine Coast - I'm planning for a month/six weeks at the goldfields.
Just me, two Beagles and the detectors, packed in the Troopy ....... don't get no better, aye ?

Pedro, you are gentleman.

Thanks so much for the detailed info. It has put Mrs Qlden's mind at ease.
(Which in turn means less grief for me.)

We are currently at Elim beach for a few days before heading further north.

Should be around the Wenlock area in 10 days or so.
Will let you know how we go.

Incidentally, called into Cook Shire office yesterday and they confirmed there would be no trespass
Issues.

Cheers.

Latest posts