Cheapest ever diy vibratory flat lap?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Had an idea pop into my head. I dont have the money for yet again another machine, polishing large rock slabs is something I havnt been able to do at home or the gemclub.

With a quick thought of things that vibrate around the house 8) I instantly think of the washing machine.

Im sure that there is a very easy possible way to abraise a slab or polish it whenever a load of washing takes place!

It may take longer, but its something that doesnt need attention, nor run 24/7 as long as its not needing to be done in a hurry.

Basically a copper or steel round plate ( needs to have lines cut into it just like a normal vibrating lap somehow ) attached tight to the washing machine top ( im talking for a front loader here too ).

An arm closeby holds the slab / rock down onto the plate and the abraisive between the two polishes the rock.

Like I said, a rock would be complete off one load of washing, it could take a week, but its a possibility.

One problem is how much the excess weight will affect the washing machines exists vibrations and if it would cause an unbalance at all. We dont want to kill the machine.

*shrug*. :|

a bit like the ol' Dell laptops the samsungs? I know they have plenty of gold n brass in the dishwashers :cool: ...

but seriously, I dont see why this wouldnt work as long as its not affexting the balance too much

It would only work on an unbalanced rince cycle and spin dry. Most would cutout if there was too much shaking which is what you want. You could tie it to the back of the car on skateboard wheels.