Minelab GPX battery replacement

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just a quick questions I have 2 GPX batts for my 4500 both only hold about 4hr of charge before they start to sound off at me. I can send them into master instruments to be replaced, just wondering where other people have gone...... I know I can buy the batteries and install them but not comfortable doing that. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dan

Just had a chat to the nice guy at HYE he seems to the 4hr is ok for the batts but I just wanted to confirm you should get 8+ on a new battery......

Run the battery until they give the low battery warning to see how long they will power the detector I run mine for 2 days 8 hrs usage total 4hrs each day and charge every 2nd day . So you should get a full day detecting ,have you done a battery check when they are fully charged regards john :)

Cheers guys I have done a battery check and they seem fine at the start. I did buy the unit second hand and i know the batteries were charged but left for 18 months before i brought it so I'm guessing they have degraded over that time...... might have to get one done at a time :) thanks for the advice

dan

Hey Dan_Dan ... how'd ya get on with your battery? and who did you end up sending it to?

I have one being done myself atm and it's been a headache, so i hope your experience has been better than mine.

Cheers
Gypsy

Hay mate still waiting until i have some more funds i had one quote come back at about $200 for a replacement which is fair but need to save some pennies

Dan,
Maybe worth a try?
Power up your machine and place it on the floor and let it flatten completely overnight.
Then put it on charge using your 12V adaptor and leave it all day.
Don't disconnect it as soon as the light becomes solid green.

Hope that works for you Dan_Dan. Mine wouldn't keep running beyond about 3.5-4hrs. Sent it away to get new packs, and has the same issue.
Was only taking about 1hr to charge full as well instead of 3-4hrs from flat.

Tried 2x cycles with the same outcome, so upped the ante and did 2x o/night charges of about 10-12hrs and still the same, so in my case it didn't work out and has been sent back for a bit more evaluation as to why. Mind you the o/night charge was still on the 240v not the 12v, so ymmv (you might get a different result).

I still may end up having to buy a complete replacement if there is no change this time, but i am hoping there may be an issue with the Voltage regulator and/or sensor.

Keep us updated eh buddy?

Cheers
Gypsy

Dan_Dan...well in the end i had to bite the bullet and sell some gold and buy a new battery. Apparently the latest packs inside have a terminal plug on the packs and it's just a matter of unplug, remove, install and plug new packs. Not sure if the 4500's are like that.

As for my 4000 OEM, well my bloke has now gone o/seas for 5x weeks and his staff aren't as technical, so are hesitant to play with the Voltage regulator sensors. As a result, i couldn't wait another 5 weeks to get on the ground hence the new purchase.

Something that came to mind as well. If you bought your setup "used" and have the older Inoxa brand charger, check for it being warm after a charge and if so try a mates if possible for charging. My old charger is "working" but to eliminate that as the cause i bought one of the new ones for my new battery in case there was/is an issue with it.

Upon using the new charger i could tell right away that it was much cooler to the touch than the older one at the end of the charge cycle, now whether this indicates an issue i'm not sure, but have heard of some of the older ones having "broken" wires at the 240v outlet end of the charger. The only thing i don't like about the new charger is the lighter weight wire leads compared to the older one, but while it's working i will leave it as is.

Oh & BTW... my bloke is only charging $125.00 return Express posted for his work as well. Just to offer you another option.

More food for thought anyway....

Cheers
Gypsy

Latest posts