Driveway discovery

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Spotted this piece while walking up the yard this morning
1438156705_image.jpg

1438156727_image.jpg

This is the second fossil ive found recently
Hopefully ill find a complete one someday ;)

Shape looks familiar. Reckon you have found a brachiopod - spirifer fossil Sandta. Any idea of the age of the rocks in your driveway from a geo map of your area?
RDD

Gday guys , ive googled images of your suggestions and am pretty certain that none of them match this piece. I havent looked up geomaps ( im not sure how all that works as ive never done it , but will have a look soon) .
im thinking maybe its just a leaf but i dont really know.
The first fossil i found here( unfortunately i posted it in another section somewhere) could possibly be part of a brachiopod ( clam)

Ill show the photos to 'the fossil man' next time I see him ( could take take some time ) and get you an answer mate

I'm also guessing you've had your eyes peeled for more?

Can you post a photo of your closest road cutting or an area which shows the geology / layers?

One finds interesting, two finds is a source nearby to me. You can PM photos to me if you like if you have anything to show your landscape / geology I may be able to help identify and find more.

I've found plant fossils in sedimentary layers before a couple of times but nothing like what you have

http://australianmuseum.net.au/common-fossils-of-the-sydney-basin

Should have done my reading first.. you live in the sydney basin which has a heao of coal layers sandwiched with fossil layers of sea life, plant and animal from around the Triasic periods. There wil be many finds but if your lucky you might have a layer exposed on your property or they were simply placed there from another collector and location

A PM from a fellow member set me off on a course today.
He gave me some good info and as it turned out a very hot lead :D
1440229957_image.jpg

1440229979_image.jpg

1440230013_image.jpg

1440230043_image.jpg

1440230086_image.jpg

1440230133_image.jpg

As i was alone in a rather remote location i didnt want to get too close to the cliff face as bits were falling off the whole time i was there,so my finds were from scouring the piles and debris of already fallen rocks. Just like spotting four leaf clovers, it wasnt hard to spot the odd ones out ;) but I only stayed for less than an hour because all the rocks started to blur and i couldnt focus anymore i thought it time to move on.
Im pretty happy with the results , and very happy for the advice given.

great photography sandta,.. fantastic detail,...w h a t ..a.. f i n d. :eek: :)

Ok , the rain has been pretty heavy ,on and off ,over the passed week. Yesterday turned on a beautiful day ,so i figured i would go back to the quarie to see what the rain had exposed.
As it turnes out , for me anyway, bright sunlight is not the ideal conditions.
Light cloud cover ,producing filtered light ,would be much better for this activity.
1441491922_image.jpg

The 2 large pieces at the top of the picture were obviously the muddy bottom of whatever body of water it was, as both pieces are covered in little clams.
1441491998_image.jpg

1441492036_image.jpg

You can see that the fossils themselves have come out of their resting place as i cleaned the rocks
1441492086_image.jpg

1441492119_image.jpg

This next picture you can see a small clam imprint but above is possibly the imprint of a razorfish (ironicaly razorfish have been mentioned recently on another unrelated post)
1441491868_image.jpg

I think the pic below is an imprint of a piece of wood (at first i thought it was petrified wood)but being so flat,and only a fragment of its original form , it too could have been a larger variety of razorfish
1441491813_image.jpg

Finally the one below , is the hole from a pointy cone shell.i couldnt get a good photo ,but i can see the ridge lines inside
1441492307_image.jpg

I know these are not perfect or ideal specimens but it is still quite a feeling to expose and find something that is as old as a dinosaur .
Not something we all do everyday.

Latest posts