FBS/BBS/v3i/multi frequency info for the more technical minded.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting that, I have a mate who's son teaches at Uni all this stuff and he was the one who told me it used 28 harmonics not separate Frequencies, whether it is the best system or not is another matter but either way it is Very Clever and put to use in the right conditions it does Ok,

John

A lot of info can be had by reading the Patents on things of interest also....not easy to understand, but its freely available.

I'm an audio recordist and even I gave up being too interested in what was happening inside the very expensive magic digital boxes I was using, sort of took the fun out of it worrying about that stuff, that's for the electronics engineers who build the things to worry about....... With digital audio though i was only concerned with what was happening between 20hz and 20khz.

Though yes it is interesting, harmonics or fundamental freqs aside, seems like a digital metal detector is more like a musical instrument than I'd have given it credit for. :D

It matters not what some of us think about these models...the runs are on the board with them and there is no disputing it.

Narrawa said:
It matters not what some of us think about these models...the runs are on the board with them and there is no disputing it.

You're 100% right. Been enjoying my 3030 and by all your accounts the V3i has been entertaining you very much. Everytime I get a Florin I have a grin from ear to ear.

I have to say I struggle reading some of the stuff that was in that link. Not that it's too technical, it's just some of the info was not quite accurate.
Other than Carl (who used to work for Whites) there aren't too many informed voices there.
If you really want to learn about detectors, try to get yourself a copy of Inside The Metal Detector. It was written by George Overland and Carl and is a very good read. Covers most topics and is a good foundation for those wanting to understand their machine a little better.

That was an interesting topic, though have read it before and came away a bit frazzled from all the techno talk, just not my forte I guess. I have previously seen a you tube clip of a fella using a frequency meter to manually set the Explorer frequencies via the noise cancel function, and that just led to more confusion on what frequencies exist/are utilised. Mind you, the way he sets up his Explorer in this particular instance would end up driving me to distraction. :/

https://youtu.be/xcChyUlgPIs

Goldpick said:
That was an interesting topic, though have read it before and came away a bit frazzled from all the techno talk, just not my forte I guess. I have previously seen a you tube clip of a fella using a frequency meter to manually set the Explorer frequencies via the noise cancel function, and that just led to more confusion on what frequencies exist/are utilised. Mind you, the way he sets up his Explorer in this particular instance would end up driving me to distraction. :/

https://youtu.be/xcChyUlgPIs

You Too Aye, Its great to know but there is a point where I have to slow down and read it again, Great info though.

John

I went through that some years back looking for the edge with my ExsplorerII....it didn't exist. The noise cancel frequency shift i think was explained by Carl in that thread somewhere..?.. the same way it was explained to me back in the day. It has far more influence on EMI effects than its ever going to have on target depth and response. Same for PIs when folks claim that manual tuning has a big impact on the depth and sensitivity of the PI. Again...its a way to control EMI than target response. Any gains had by adjusting the freq for better response, will be lost to the other gains like ground noise and EMI...... Nothing for nothing.

Comboed to a larger coil and higher manual freq adjust was a thought i had some time back.....larger coils for depth, yet adjusted for the higher end of the manual tune adjustment meant any significant gain to the larger coil by the way of sensitivity was lost to the other effects, mostly EMI control....you cant have both if the EMI level on the day/hr is in the realms of your manual tune frequency.?
Same for using a small coil and the lower end of the frequency scale.

At the end of the day....tune for best EMI cancellation....the small amount of freq shift gives bugger all gains to target response.

Latest posts