Nokta Fors Gold information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Nokta team received the following message and images from a FORS Gold user in AU and we are sharing them with you.

''Up at the old gold fields in Slatey Creek Creswick, vic.
1st time to actually use this baby since buying from Brad at Aussie Detecting in Bendigo.
The Nokta Fors Gold has suprised me big time. It actually picked up these 2 small nuggets that were under neath some metal trash roughly 25 inches in the ground.1st time out and one very happy customer. Well done Nokta this machjne lives up to its reputation. Thanks, Thomas. Australia.''

1417100227_b61ebf1368032a589b9cd94c9288508e25d53aa27489b0619cpimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

1417100227_f6dd8c25a789ef61b2bb4f2d55286d026488e7e13f049b5968pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

1417100227_f73ef1010e10719da2f5cf27689ae7bb4605085b8183e97e44pimgpsh_fullsize_distr.jpg

Nokta Fors Gold
Metal Detector review for very highly mineralized ground.
I chose as a test site an area that I have had limited luck for finding gold nuggets. I have found some here and there, but finds are usually few and far between.
The test site is very noisy, contaminated with rubbish, mainly iron left over from loggers and fencing wire from farmers, as well as led bullets and numerous hot rocks. Over grown with vegetation and rocks scattered all over, it is hard to swing a detector at this site. I have used a few top brand metal detectors at the site over the years and have had minimal luck.
As the Nokta Fors Gold is new to me, I was not expecting to find much, and thought I might take a while to get to know the machine, this wasn't the case.
The most impressive thing about the Nokta Fors Gold metal detector is the ID Masking feature and the way it completely got rid of the iron noise.
After finding a small piece of iron, I was able to use this as a test sample to cancel out the unwanted sounds that heavily contaminated and had
previously made detecting difficult in this area. In a different area you may have to adjust the machine again if there is different level of iron around, but this is not much of a problem as it is simple to adjust. Just wave the detector over a sample iron find and adjust again, takes about five seconds.
I then tested the Automatic Ground Balance feature, and was able to reduced more of the unwanted noises. This control is great for the beginner and professional alike. The ground balance feature distinguishes ground noise from the things you want to chase. If it's ground noise, it will disappear with a couple of waves across.
Using these two controls made the work a lot easier and a hell of a lot more fun than using other much more expensive machines. With other machines I spend more time digging holes than looking. I was able to cover a lot more area as I didn't waist a lot of time digging holes.
On the first day after about an hour of using the machine I was confident that the Nokta Fors Gold could handle the iron rich ground that I was working. I played around with the controls and found them very straight forward and easy to use.
Feeling confident I went straight for some holes that I had been working in previously and found a few bits of very small iron and thought the Nokta was going to perform like other machines, but after adjusting the machine to rule out the small iron bits and checking the signal with a piece of test gold that I carry in my pocket the machine could still register the gold and the iron bits were not registering at all.
I continued along the creek bank, checking old holes as I went, there were no problem signals from any other bits of iron. Then in one of the holes I heard a signal that was very close in sound quality to that of my
test piece of gold. With the built in pin pointer I was able to easily sift thru half an inch of dirt to find a nice small piece of gold, see picture.
Continuing further up the creek, finding heaps of small lead shot, I decided to detect the water in the creek and in a small puddle found another nice piece of gold about a few inches down.
The second day wasn't much to talk about, got heaps of signals but only found trash. Tin foil, ring pulls, lead shot and iron although I was very impressed at the depth at which the Nokta was able to find. Previously I had been over this area with my Minelab 4500 and had no gold signals, but heaps of iron and trash signals. with the Nokta Fors Gold i could get rid of the unwanted iron noises with the ID Masking. The Nokta machine is very light and well balanced, no real need for a bungie support cord on this machine. I swung it around for about four hours on each day for 2 days, with no problems. I suffer from arthritis in the hands, and get back and shoulder pain when out and about, comes from getting older, but had no problems with the Nokta Fors Gold.
Target depth in this mineralized rocky ground was impressive. After playing with different settings I was able to pick up quite deep signals for small targets, depending on soil type and target type. The controls were quite easy to configure, user friendly.
The Ground Balancing on the Nokta Fors Gold was excellent. The best feature I found was the Automatic Ground Balancing. Most of the time after hearing a sound I wasn't sure of, all I had to do was swing back over the noise and if it was ground noise it usually went away with one or two passes. If the noise continued then I would check the value on the screen in the handle to see weather it was worth chasing or digging
for. The automatic ground balance saved me a lot of work by the end of the day.
You must remember I have gone over this ground with the Minelab 4500 and mid range Garrett machines before, and there also has been other people using their Minelab 5000 on this site as well. I am not comparing the actual machines but just the operation of the way they work. The Nokta Fors Gold is a very easy machine to use.
I was rapped in the vibration mode, its not just good for people with hearing problems. There is vibration with or with out sound. As the sound signal changes with different finds i.e. gold vs iron so does the vibration, so you can feel the different values. Night detecting around your camp would be good with this setting. When starting out, use the vibration with sound and the screen on the handle so you can get used to feeling what your detector is finding. Also the vibration mode does not alter your setting values.
The lead light in the hand grip which acts like a torch is a great idea, as myself and a lot of other people in Australia like to prospect at night because summer days are too hot. I haven't tried this out yet but will review this later.
I am very impressed with the Nokta Fors Gold Metal Detector. The ID Masking to rid iron noise and the Auto Ground Balance makes it a superior machine for noisy Australian conditions. Features such as vibration mode, low weight, built in pin pointer, torch LED, user friendliness and depth range for small targets, makes it a high end machine for a low end price. Great value for money.
I would not hesitate to recommend the Nokta Fors Gold for gold detecting and relic hunting. At the moment I have not finished testing the unit in Australia, as all experienced prospectors would know, we have so many different ground types.
My next review will be using the Nokta Fors Gold on the Australian beaches.
Robert Crampton
Owner
Crampos Prospecting Supplies. [email protected] www.crampo.com.au

We received the following message and pictures from Steve Herschbach of USA and we are sharing it with you:

''I was prospecting in Northern California not too long ago. I was running the Nokta FORS Gold and concentrating on some areas littered with square nails, cable bits, rusted cans, and other ferrous junk. There were places the Nokta running in dual tone DI2 mode sounded like a machine gun from ferrous low tones. I would go along with the detector going "putt - putt - putt - putt - putt - beep - putt" and on hearing that beep, stop to dig a bullet or some other non-ferrous item.

There was a bit of a mound around the base of a tree and I swept around it getting ferrous tones, when all of the sudden I get a strong non-ferrous beep. I looked down at the target id displayed on the end of the FORS Gold handle and it was showing 82. I thought "That's odd, a coin." I was still not tuned in one what the numbers meant exactly on the Nokta but on a typical 1-100 scale an 82 would be something like a penny or a dime. I have yet to find a really decent old coin since moving south, so I thought I was maybe going to dig some nice silver.

I gave a couple digs and was surprised to see nothing pop up. Hmmm... must be bigger, deeper. So I open the hole up and dig deeper, and this dirty gray lump pops out of the ground.

My exact thought "you have got to be kidding me!" It was a filthy lump but I knew instantly it was gold. I got out my water bottle and washed it off a bit and saw gold and large chunks of white quartz - I had found something really special. After cleaning it ended up as 1.83 ounces of stunning gold and quartz that would do a museum proud. Just a really spectacular specimen, the best I have ever found. Thanks Nokta!

''
1419239675_herschbach_2014_1-83_oz_gold_nugget_no_ca.jpg

1419239675_herschbach-fors-gold.jpg

Hi all,
Rather than reproduce my findings here, its easier to just link to it.
Over the last week on and off due to down time traveling from state to state, i had a little time to get out with the FG to an area close by thats not very kind to VLF detectors.
Though this was my first goldfield attempt with the FG, it wont be my last as im planning on returning here for round 2 this week.
I didn't go easy on it, however i knew from the start this was going to be a challenge for the FG as it has/is for any top of the range VLF detector in this location. And iv tried a few here for this very reason.

Despite my findings thus far, i believe this unit to have good potential in our fields that will with more time, prove fruitful over other top of the range VLFs.

No vids or gold to report in round 1.

http://australiangoldfields.freeforums.org/post20425.html#p20425

Thanks for the review Narrawa, sounds like you are giving the Fors gold a good ol thrashing, hopefully something will turn up in round 2 of testing. :)

Which pi and coil did you put over the ground before the FG ? I'm glad someone has pushed into some mongrel ground to give it a working over.

Iv used the GX-4500 with an array of coils including small DDs at this location.

One of the reasons i took a shine to the Nokta FG after reading as much as i could, was the fact it had a finer Ground balance adjustment. That came into play in the second location, as the F19 failed here as did many others iv taken there due to not having that poofteenth more range. As fine as the adjustment is, it gave usable results. What i didn't mention was the toy car i dug from this location at around 10". No big deal really..other than the usual questions as to how & why it was where it was?. Which will probably cause me some kind of life long stress related illness as i ponder for answers. :|
If i was able to pull a toy car (alloy) from that depth with a dumbed down VLF on my first outing.....im hoping for at least a Tonka truck next visit.... :eek: :D :D
Seriously tho, the potential is there in this model detector. Again, only the MXT that i know has done any good there, and its GB range is very limited due to not having manual GB for a start....let alone a tad more like the FG.?
The other thing with the FG is, it appears to have more gain compared to say the F19 which in most cases could be run at max gain in the first location, yet in the second it mattered not, it could not GB with usable gain. That model talks up the ability to GB all the way to salt. :8 Kinda feel a little had with the purchase of that one.....however iv not held it for any longer than a few minutes. Im sure it has a trick or two waiting for me.

As a simple park/backyard hunter the FG is worthy of concideration....as long as the mineralization level remains under about 80, it IDs very well both visually and audibly. On the goldfields the verdict is no in yet, but not all gold fields are as nasty as the ones im working either. Others im sure will find different findings.

The boot and doors open, and the steering wheel actually turns the front wheels like a real car....how cools that.?

The better assortment of finds from today with the Fors Gold.
Hmmm?....contemplating selling my V3i....ouch!!...never thought id entertain the thought, but it is only a thought. :lol:
Click on the pics for a bigger better look see.

Love this one...possibly from the 1860s.?

Which use to look like this..click here--->LINK

A broach me thinks.?

The guts of an old fob watch....could be gold plating on it.?

Heaps of other finds like thimbles, old buckles, buttons and an array of other things not really worth the effort of a pic.

A link to the first round at H.E.
http://golddetecting.4umer.net/t21006-racer-vs-known-brands#204830

Narra,
Nice collection...
I like the cricket memorabilia ....
Thanks for posting....

Cheers Nanjim
Jim

Heading back out on Sunday for round three, will give the v3i another run and make a decision during the week if its a keeper.???

As much as i like the detector, im finding myself hooked on the speed of the FG. I do enjoy fiddling around with the v3i....man against machine kinda thing. They are a pretty good benchmark detector in which to compare others....so i'll be in heavy thought. :D

I'll let you know.

rumor has it that there was a holey dollars found in hillend not so long ago !

wish it was me 8.(

nice finds you have there :)

might be off the the hill tomorrow , i have the fever again , after a month off detecting

From todays efforts.....showing only the worthy.
An old button with material still attached...barely.
1885 British penny.
And the buckle thingy.?

This area will now be left for the purpose of testing new machines/coils/skill to see what we left. :lol:

Central West Prospecting Supplies Mudgee is stocking the Nokta/Makro range of products, including the new RACER...which i had my hands on today. :lol:
Impressive lightweight little VLF detector indeed.

I'll have my hands on one permanently latter this week. :D

I'll keep regular posts on how its going as i put it through its paces in a range of locations as iv been doing with the FG model...which i'll now hand down to my other half who had her hands on it, and lost interest in her own detectors since doing so.
:p

Cant wait for a day off to give it a try. :lol:

Just a question. Is the forsgold you are using
A detector you purchased or a was it supplied
At no charge for testing purposes?

It was supplied for testing due to lack of reports on its operational performances in our soil after i contacted Nokta. I now use it far more than i do my other VLFs.

You'll be seeing a lot more of our finds from both the FG and RACER over time. :lol:

Latest posts