GPX handle problems

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 5286

Elijah
Reaction score
Hi all, Just wondering if alternatives to the ML GPX handle exist? For the second time this year, the front side of the handle on my gpx has snapped.
$258 in the toilet so far...

I'm not particularly hard on my detector, though i do swing large coils so i suppose that puts extra stress on them..
Anyway basically looking for an alternative, I've sourced the smart point cable+plug so that's no issue... Thoughts/tips?

How about hand-crafted Queensland oak?
1437991927_handle.jpg

$115 and available here: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Custom-made-detector-handle-/131564374286?hash=item1ea1d9090e

Ive heard of blokes breaking handles its really common apparently. Supposedly you're supposed to only hold the handle with the bottom three fingers and point your index like a pop gun. I reckon the wood option is a goer im planning on buying one when i get around to it. Thanks for the link grubstake

TheSilentBugler said:
Thats a pretty thing grubstake.

Isn't it though!

Here's the pics from his auction - lovely, natural timber grain:
1437999470_handle4.jpg

1437999489_handle3.jpg
1437999505_handle2.jpg

The bloke's a retired cabinetmaker apparently, does it because he loves his woodworking. He's a prospector too and found that having a better handle reduced the strain of hours spent swinging a coil. :)

TheSilentBugler said:
Thats a pretty thing grubstake.

Can't say i share your sentiments.. Think i'll pay n have something machined up.. Couldn't deal with that goofy looking thing..

Thanks though..

Just buy a standard Genuine Minelab GP handle (no button). Much cheaper than the GPX handle with button.

Drill a hole in the top of it and insert the button off your old GPX handle.

Apparently the issue was the plastic that the GPX handles were being made of... Minelab have since been getting them made in Australia. Hopefully the quality has improved.

Nuggetbuster said:
Just buy a standard Genuine Minelab GP handle (no button). Much cheaper than the GPX handle with button.
Drill a hole in the top of it and insert the button off your old GPX handle.
Apparently the issue was the plastic that the GPX handles were being made of... Minelab have since been getting them made in Australia. Hopefully the quality has improved.

If that's the case, it sounds like the breaking handles were known to be not fit for purpose, so Minelab should be replacing breakages free of charge under Australian consumer law.

G0lddigg@ said:
its generally from people holding the handle too high mate, which will happen more so with a larger coil.

AND! Users are not adjusting their bungies correctly. If the bungie is adjusted so the coil (no matter what size) hovers just above ground when you are in an upright stance about to start swing but not holding onto handle. The machine can be guided with thumb and forefinger if so desired.
No pressure on the handle no breakage.

If your handle breaks it is worth sending in to Minelab service.

Those wooden ones look nice, but I'd be wrapping it in some tennis racquet grip.

Seen this issue (with the poor quality ones) come up before on another forum & Minelab were replacing them from all reports - either through the dealer or sent back to them.
The issue is/was when it happens in the bush if you don't have a replacement on hand. For that reason many were either buying the wooden ones above, making their own up or drilling out the SD/GP handles to have as a spare just in case.
I had a "S" shaft as a spare (the "S" shaft upper + lower shaft to make a complete set up actually cost me about the same as a replacement handle but you need to use the quick track button from a broken handle or make/have one made) so if it ever happened to me I could just change over to that & there was then no handle to break on it - no or minimal downtime on your day out or extended trip waiting for or getting a replacement. Never had to use it due to a handle breaking though even though I once slid down an embankment with pretty much most of my weight on the handle. Didn't break then or in the many times used after then so I struggle to fathom how they can break in normal use (apart from the poor plastic/quality issues mentioned).
Another cause I've heard of is people over tightening them.

Ended up buying one of the above handles from a guy in canberra (wasn't being used) It lasted a day, then couldn't deal with it just not comfortable.

What i've done now is what was mentioned above, I bought myself 3 standard replacement handles, drilled a hole, fitted a couple buttons, removed the smart point cables from the 3 broken handles, connected them up, problem solved...

Another thing i did to make them stronger, was remove the grip, and fill each cutout slot with epoxy.. If i break one of these off I'll have one made out of Titanium...

- Ej

Geez... wish i'd known about Minelab replacing them.

Seems rude to me that when presented with my broken one the local Minelab dealer didn't mention that as an option. Guess he was only too happy to take my $$ and keep mumm about that little gem. :mad:

Hope the one i paid $138.00(w/button) for lasts longer this time around. :rolleyes:

Was at Gold Search Australia at Dunolly today I noticed he had wooden replacement handles for GPX detectors for $65 at that price it pays to carry a spare ,he also had heavy duty skid plates for GPZ and SDC regards john :)
1459847248_p4050361.jpg

Latest posts