Show us your camp set-up

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Croc proof swag for FNQ :) ..................... and not just croc proof but horses also :Y:
I remember a night in Archer River when in the midst of night a herd of wild brumbies came thru the camp ground ................... sounded light a freight train going past and was glad to be off the deck as I reckon those on the ground would have had their heads tucked under their arms :eek:

1491423511_swag_pajero.jpg

Yeh Bogger,

I can understand how you feel about things coming through your camp at night time. Years ago when I was in the RAAF we used to go bush with the Iroquios choppers on Army exercises and we often had APC's charging thru the bush near our hutchies at night. Not a great feeling. 8)

Cheers

Doug

Rockhunter62 said:
Yeh Bogger,

I can understand how you feel about things coming through your camp at night time. Years ago when I was in the RAAF we used to go bush with the Iroquios choppers on Army exercises and we often had APC's charging thru the bush near our hutchies at night. Not a great feeling. 8)

Cheers

Doug

Doug I'm sure you would have got that tuck ya head under your arm and pray feeling :D :D :D You know it's close ............... but how close ? :rolleyes:

Bogger said:
Croc proof swag for FNQ :) ..................... and not just croc proof but horses also :Y:
I remember a night in Archer River when in the midst of night a herd of wild brumbies came thru the camp ground ................... sounded light a freight train going past and was glad to be off the deck as I reckon those on the ground would have had their heads tucked under their arms :eek:

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/img/member-images/7268/1491423511_swag_pajero.jpg

Did the same thin in the Cape in 97 too many hungry lizards up that way.

Rockhunter62 said:
Yeh Bogger,

Cheers

Doug

Try a hutchy in the Malaysian jungle knowing (having seen several) that bloody great King Cobras were close by and hunt at night. And they reckon we RAAFies lived in luxury..........

Doesn't make for a good nights sleep and I mean several nights, especially when the monsoons were in and we found out the military blow up mattresses actually do float.

condor22 said:
Rockhunter62 said:
Yeh Bogger,

Cheers

Doug

Try a hutchy in the Malaysian jungle knowing (having seen several) that bloody great King Cobras were close by and hunt at night. And they reckon we RAAFies lived in luxury..........

Doesn't make for a good nights sleep and I mean several nights, especially when the monsoons were in and we found out the military blow up mattresses actually do float.
That is true however you have to be very lucky to get one that stays pumped up you must have got the odd one out ]:D

Ha! Mattress pneumatic, never used it, but had to produce one for the DP1 checks.
Like the "smocks pshcolgical" tropical, useless!

The gear they get today is great. Hammocks in Malaysia or any J, get off the ground!

davent said:
Ha! Mattress pneumatic, never used it, but had to produce one for the DP1 checks.
Like the "smocks pshcolgical" tropical, useless!

The gear they get today is great. Hammocks in Malaysia or any J, get off the ground!
I know its not for the tuff ones now its all glamping military style

Covered 16500 kms in 7 weeks solo last year. Traveled from Gladstone-Longreach-Tennant-Creek-Alice Springs-Halls Creek-Broome-Dampier Peninsular- WA coastline to the Rainbow Coast via North West Cape and Shark Bay-Coast and cliff tracks along the Great Southern Byte to Eucla-Port Augusta-Coober Pedy-Oodnadatta-Birdsville-Roma-Brisbane and back to Gladstone. The photo shows my camping set up which worked out perfectly for a single person set up. Photo Taken in the middle of the Tanami about 300ks south of Wolf Creek Crater.
1505776474_wp_20160907_003.jpg

Planning a similar trip for this time next year through Armhem Land-Darwin-Kimberlies-Broome and back up the Dampier Peninsular and have two and a half months booked off work to do it in.

My camping setup consists of a rooftop tent, pillow, sleeping bag. For food, i take tins of soup and a loaf of bread. Usually camp in the bush for 2 -3 days and spend every bit of daylight detecting. I tend to eat a piece of bread will still detecting only because I'm getting low on energy rather than hunger. Funny how i don't get hungry when out detecting but go to the pantry 5 times a day when at home lol. Cook soup at night and hit the sack ready to go again for 11 - 12 hours the next day. When I first started out I bought all the gear, Engel fridge, hotplates, chairs, tables etc. But just found that I like detecting more than wasting time cooking/cleaning so leave it all at home now. A few times I've still been detecting till 1:00 am with the head torch on. Detector seems to run better at night also. Probably be a different situation if I went with someone but when on your own I find I just want to keep detecting.

Rockhunter62 said:
Hey Tonyj,

Is that Mick Taylor I see hiding behind that tree? 8) 8) 8)

Cheers

Doug

Never saw Mad Mick, but swear he was around sometime around 3am. Got up as I needed a piss, standing with my tackle hanging out, dead quiet, nothing moving. Not even a breath of wind. Moon rises and lights up the horizon and I get that feeling that I'm being watched. That's when I notice a person standing about 10 to 15 meters away, just a dark figure about 6 feet tall, doesn't move or speak, just stands there staring at me. It was about this time, with my heart hammering itself out of my chest, that I recall that all the termite mounds in this area are slim upright structures standing about 6 feet tall. :8

I packed up at first light and got to Wolf Creek Crater well before any other travellers arrived. Had the entire place to myself and even in daylight there is something eerie about that area. Awesome sight though and would go back again.

Latest posts