Ringwood, Croydon goldfields..?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As ive been going through my books, I cant help but notice the ringwood and croydon goldfields mentioned in the text.

Does anyone know of a reserve, park or marker of these goldfields or are the now buried under the ever exanding eastland..

If anyone else knows some other lost local goldfields, feel free to add here

yeah, you got me thinking about that area again when you mention your from there. Im just wondering if theres something left, even to look at?!

warrandyte is very obvious to gold activity and thats just next door too, but not heaps to be seen in ringwood / croydon.

my guess though ( if it was alluvial ) the goldfields would be at the east-most base of the major mountains in the areas.

I guess your talking about Croydon hills,
warrenwood, ringwood area
the main part of that gold field is very sketchy
It was more pockets not a field
there where diggings behind Croydon hills primary
but i beleve they where covered over

There are other diggings ( if not filled over )in warrenwood behind the football club
as for ringwood itself
don't belive gold was ever found there
but was definitely found around it

Its certainly been mentioned in 1970's books ive got XIV, and mentions Croydon and Ringwood goldfields exactly, not as croydon hills or outskirts of ringwood. I dont know if this is a history mistake or if they really were there.

As you stated, it could all be under residential and business now, but out of concern and hope, mabey theres a plarque or some history or hill left somewhere.

Ill have to dig my face into google and possibly Ringwood library.

Wi also note that ive read nothing of warrenwood or know the area. Another place ill have to catch up on, cheers.

( I should also add: hows it goin XIV!! :D )

Warrenwood is just between Ringwood and Warrandyte, and next to Croydon Hills AtomRat. Used to live there many moons ago. :)

I recall reading recently that Ringwood City Council buildings are situated on the site of an Antinomy Mine.

http://www.maroondah.vic.gov.au/RingwoodHistory.aspx
1436526328_screen_shot_2015-07-10_at_8.49.53_pm.png

i googled Antinomy to get a better understanding of the mineral... but found this in wiki... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antinomy

such an irony for a local council building to be put here :D

"literally means the mutual incompatibility, real or apparent, of two laws"

"philosophy... used,,, to describe the equally rational but contradictory results of applying... the,,, criteria of reason... that are proper to the... sensible perception or experience... Empirical reason cannot... play the role of establishing rational truths because it goes beyond possible experience"

hey AtomRat... i do :-D
it was just a bleary eyed copy paste from the screengrab of the local newspaper article above
the irony has made my morning... a really nice play on words

I grew up in Nth Ringwood, spent the best part of 30 years there, and the last bit in Kilsyth, so would be considered a local lol , never even heard of gold there.....we all knew about Warrandyte and the like :eek:

Funny where the hunt for gold send you :cool:

Ringwood Croydon gold field
is the top end of a creek system
warrenwood reserve
wasn't a lot found and was forgot about very quickly
panned there for 3 hrs about 6 years ago for 5 colors
and very small ( fly poop )

I've been keeping busy. Thanks atomrat
will have to catch up for a beer over xmas when I'm down that way
might even get out for a dig. If the wife allows :lol:

Might be able to show you a few spots

Excellent work on an answer xiv, will take a look at warrenwood and the ringwwod shire building hehe

at least you saw some color, all you need is a fly swarm for lots of poop.

would be cool to take a dig somewhere mate, hope to see ya near then!

Mavsta said:
I grew up in Nth Ringwood, spent the best part of 30 years there, and the last bit in Kilsyth, so would be considered a local lol , never even heard of gold there.....we all knew about Warrandyte and the like :eek:

Funny where the hunt for gold send you :cool:
Haha right under your toes! Must be something in Kilsyth being so close to Lilydale and its lime quarry

My in-laws live 5 minutes walk from Warranwood reserve, damn it, means I'll have to go see them more often now!

Also remember that when the Ringwood east link tunnel was being dug there were a few very large nuggets foundI'm also only 15min away :)

I lived up top of Loughnans Hill in Summit Cres. in Ringwood for a while and used to walk my dog a GSP along the Mullum Mullum Creek every day - never thought of panning a bit of dirt back the in the 90's.
Jaros :p