Drinking dam water

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best bet is to carry more water than u ever need. If u vehicle breks down or u injured so cant drive then u need good communication .cb only good in areas where there is a few people around u that may pick up u call . If in remote areas u need sat phone to get help . But at the end of the day in remote areas u should be travelling with another veichle so u have back up on the spot .

Think you guys are missing the point of the thread.
No matter how well prepared you are things can still go wrong.

You can carry enough water to last a few weeks, but that won't help you if it leaks out all over the dirt.
Annoys me when people try to sound smart by stating the obvious or saying just carry more bloody water.

I use a KATADYN HIKER PRO ( pumps 1 litre per minute ) filters down to 0.2 of a micron, and use an MSR SILT STOPPER ( filters down to 5 microns ) on the end of the hose to prefilter before it gets to the katadyn filter .

As said above I have a 20 litre water jerry in the 4x4 permanently , will take more if going on longer trips.

The life straw cost in the vicinity of $38 from outlets like BCF BUT read the fine print on how to use the life straw before you decide on buying one. I bought one then read the internal instruction sheet , do not use with saline water as it will affect the chemicals used so i guess that drinking water from a creek would be ok but a puddle that might contain ground salt , there is no positive answer, but if the water source is saline / salty like from the ocean then it may not suit the purpose, our urine is saline so its not meant for that, I bought one , then got to read the fine print, would not have bought it knowing the limitations, it sits in by survival kit. I carry spare water in 1.25 or 2 litre bottles , takes up the spaces between my gear and I know it comes from a safe place .

Think about your situation before your in it and when and if it occurs ..................... stay calm and don't panic.
Most cars have washer bottles ................... front and rear so don't put any additive in them and there is a few litres there alone.
Sat phones probably best bail out and a current service can be had for $15 a month so costs near zero, but don't leave it in the car as a K is not far to walk but try crawling it with a broken leg or back injury after a fall. As has been said preparation is the key

I start with min 20lt jerry and another 20lt if going to the never never and 40lt fuel is always on the back
Sat phones if you know exactly where you are are good however i invested in a plb that is no bigger then a packet of smokes and clips on your belt once set off you will be found no problems battery last for 10 years

7.62marksman said:
I start with min 20lt jerry and another 20lt if going to the never never and 40lt fuel is always on the back
Sat phones if you know exactly where you are are good however i invested in a plb that is no bigger then a packet of smokes and clips on your belt once set off you will be found no problems battery last for 10 years

Just a note on Sat phones ................. on the Thuraya sat there is basically an sos button that you can nominate up to about 6 friends that when set off / activated sends an sms at pre set time intervals with what ever message you have pre loaded along with GPS co ordinates. I'm sure other brands may also have this feature ?
If heading into remote area one or the other should certianly be on the must have list ;)

Thanks mate i am sat phone dumb have no idea i went to the local optus shop early in the year and the bloke had no idea what i wanted and could not give me any info think he was new to the job thats why i went home andngot a plb anyway i go bush to get away from all them phones and internet

7.62marksman said:
Thanks mate i am sat phone dumb have no idea i went to the local optus shop early in the year and the bloke had no idea what i wanted and could not give me any info think he was new to the job thats why i went home andngot a plb anyway i go bush to get away from all them phones and internet

I'm hearing ya ................. it's like a mine field purchasing sometimes.
When I brought sat phone was going to run thru optus ..................... all calls to the phone are at like $2.75 a minute Thru pivotel all calls to sat are just a normal mobile call. In other words no different to calling any normal mobile. Calls out are 99c a minute but you can just sms someone then they call you back which makes it cost effective if the wife / boss wants to talk to you for an hour or so ;)
Pivotel look after you also in that they even turn the data feature off so it can't be used unless requested. At $5500.00 for a 15Gb a month plan I can do without data on my sat phone :eek:

In n w qld where we are normally drilling for minerals e get quite a few wet holes .(water) that if asked by the station owner we will put a pvc liner in it so he (or us ) can put a solar pump in for his cattle feeding normally a tank then cattle troughs . Cattle nearlly allways spend the night around the bore at nights . If u ok to walk in the mornings follow the cattle tracks in the opposite direction to the cattle ,in the arvo follow them back to water . Most bore water we have had tested is good enough to drink . We genually run our showers ,toilets etc at camps on bore water and sometimes our drinking water comes from a bore . Also if wild camels in the area drink where they drink as the have antiseptic in there saliva and thats why a lot of stations dont want u shooting them anymore as they clean the water for cattle .(They also the purest breed in the world and they sell them to the Arabs )

B5MECH said:
Coffee filters could help but who takes a coffee machine to the bush :lol: Let me know I'll come :D
Done that .................... dragged one to the tip of Cape York ........................ Cappa's on the Cape ;) All the mates hung it on me but funny when it was fired up how long the line was for a good cappa :)

1481778111_img_20161215_143107.jpg
1481778131_img_20161215_143039.jpg

Here is another filter bottle, fill 2 pure, this one removes chemicals and bacteria, will filter about 1000 Lt.

yep dirty water is better than dying of dehydration a lot of things you can do, filter through sand, charcoal filter but boiling water for min 10 minutes, take water from top section of water source, running water if possible not still water,big plastic bag wrap it over gum tree leafed branch seal it and place small rock in it to help catch evaporation from leaves.plenty of great advice from others so best was store plenty of water in car and evan water drops on your trails. on your way back you can pick up an drink

B5MECH said:
When all else fails and there is no water, no vehicle, no creek or dam, no rain all you need is.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6m-q-sRSsx0
And a shovel to start digging and a mate to finish the digging :rolleyes: :D
Some may say BS but water is under your feet some places close some places far just gota know where to dig
In n w qld we have found water in 15 mts in the odd spot . Digging in creeks (dried up ) it has got moist at 3 feet .. Enought to save u life . But that will be on a bend (slow side ) and be 1 in 20 holes i dig . . If u have ran out of water u can try this but better off ( up here ) watching the cattle and finding their suply , U use a lot of energy and fluid digging 10 holes .Could kill ya . Find a high piont ,use u energy to get there , and look for cattle tracks . If am go the opposite direction .If pm go same direction as the cattle . Befor dark u will find bore water troughs .
Some people on this site did not like me saying should not be a prob . BS take more water than u need and a sat nav phone . U should only ha e a prob if your veichle breaks down ,u got lost ,ran out off fuel ,snake bite ,roll over in that creek crossing ,only had water in one container not three ,(in case of leaks ) Slip fall ,brocken bones ,taken by Marsians or ets . End off day dont travell alone and u allways got back up except for ets , u on u own . Anyone who says we smart ass for stating the easy answer dont know the bush .

Latest posts