Drinking dam water

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
davent said:
Sawyer filters are similar in size to life straws, and will filter out chemicals, you can buy them on line, google sawyer water filters. Make sure its the activated charcoal filter.
cheers dave

Thanks davent.......already on it.

https://www.prospectingaustralia.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=195204#p195204
LC76 said:

If you were really worried about arsenic in the water, you could filter the water through crushed up charcoal from a fire in a sock or cloth of some sort, then filter it through the sawyer, and all good.

rory said:
if you have found a dirty water source (dam) dig a hole about 500mm to a Metre away from it dig it deep enough to be below water level it will filter through ground and accumulate in hole .empty the first lot out and then let settle drink out of hole with straw ( peice of grass works well) so you dont disturb the sediment. the technique is called a gyspy hole good enough to drink if ur desperate
Still supposed to have a Banksia flower stem(as a filter) in your mouth(or other safe foliage) to make sure you don't end up sucking up a water beetle,....they recon them things'll kill ya. :eek:

About lifestraws and sawyer : "Keep in mind neither of these two filters can remove chemicals, dissolved solids, or viruses."

Eating charcoal after drinking dodgy water would help the body not dissolve as much too

Alum, chlorine and iodine really need to be in the filter for it to give pure water. I've looked into all straws and basically they are just a filter down to micron size with zero chemical purification. I won't be buying one or 'depending' on it

I'd prefer to use a large black garbage bag, fill it with foliage from trees if there are any and leave it in the sun, in a couple of hours you'll have clean drinking water. Filters and stuff will probably work for dam water or creek water but Id still boil it all first if possible.

Running water is generally always better than stagnent water.

Just my opinion anyway.

Think i may have found a filter that does everything i want.
Still doing some research to make sure it's legit though.
$40

http://www.water-to-go.com.au/product/water-bottle/
http://www.water-to-go.com.au/facts/filter-facts/
bottles_filter_footer.png

Cheers mate, even better seeing it in action. $40, can't go wrong. Compaired to others its litres it can handle are a bit less, but you gotta expect something I guess. Buy an extra filter if possible. Still not 100% but close enough to and it removes some chemicals and virus.

Both those products look pretty bloody good, looks like ill have to upgrade.

Try the Sawyer Water Filter weighs only 2 grams; Link thro (google it) The Ultralite Hiker.

Note; about the only thing which will remove dissolved toxins (e.g. blue green algal toxins) and solutes will be an activated charcoal filter: bulky!

I clarify dam water with a small amount of slaked lime (can easy carry powder enough for a few days) This precipitates suspended solids and clarifies the water. The clear water can then be canted of and boiled (slow rolling boil 2 mins) or treated with chlorine tablets.
longjok

Back in my Army days in the early 90,s i completed a reasonably hard survival course at the Pulada Jungle Training Centre in Malaysia.

When we ran out of water and were getting desperate enough to drink from streams we would add 4 drops of Betadine per 1 litres of water and allow at least an hour or so for the Iodine to kill any germs present, all first aid kits will have a little bottle of Betadine in them.

Betadine should be avoided by pregnant women,people with thyroid problems and people that a sensitive to Iodine e.g people that are shellfish allergic.

Sodium Silver chloride tablets can also be used and are affective after 30 minutes

davent said:
Pauly, that would have been whist at RCB?
Who were you with, I was 3RAR and did RCB in 92. Drank water from an elephants foot print in a dry creek bed! Milbank filter and puritabs...

Forgot all about those puritabs and the countless Malaria tablets lol, yes RCB, i was posted to 5/7 from 8/12

I am just glad they didn't make us swim in the Penang harbour, no amount of tablets of any sort would have helped lol

1465263670_images_7.jpg

Latest posts