Drinking dam water

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A drinking straw may work but I still wouldn't drink it !!!
1445312617_drinking_piss.jpg

I recall that great outdoors man, Bear Grylis [sic] doing a special about the great Aussie outback, and the promo
had him drinking his own urine , as he had no water, while sitting under a Boab tree.
Hahahahahahahahahha.

Redfin said:
I recall that great outdoors man, Bear Grylis [sic] doing a special about the great Aussie outback, and the promo
had him drinking his own urine , as he had no water, while sitting under a Boab tree.
Hahahahahahahahahha.
But he's on TV Redfin, are you suggesting he's not the real deal? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now you ruined it for me Redfin, i even went out and bought the $10 Bear Grylls knife :lol: :lol: Mind you, that was a fair distance back to those cars as well in that clip above and he may have needed to cross that 'ravine' to get to his vehicle. :lol:

Boil the water n use a sock half filled with charcoal(from the campfire) n sand if no sand all charcoal n the water will filter through it done it heaps of times and never been sick,otherwise you can always use purification tablets but even then i still boil the water
Oh dont forget to try n seperate as much dirt n shit b4 above process :lol:

LC76 said:
Thanks for the replies.

I usually carry 3 litres with me but have ran out a few times.
Last summer I spent quite a lot of time out in 35+ heat and it made me wonder what I could drink in a desperate situation.

I just purchased a canteen kit so I can at least do some cooking and boil water.
http://i1078.photobucket.com/albums/w499/LDC76/IMG_20150709_133123_zpsxp3nmat9.jpg
But I'm still unsure about gold processing chemicals that still might be in the water.

Only 3 litres of water??? That is not very wise !!!no offence mate

if you have found a dirty water source (dam) dig a hole about 500mm to a Metre away from it dig it deep enough to be below water level it will filter through ground and accumulate in hole .empty the first lot out and then let settle drink out of hole with straw ( peice of grass works well) so you dont disturb the sediment. the technique is called a gyspy hole good enough to drink if ur desperate

I think you got enough response there '76 so I wont add to it.

But it reminds me of a place I was deployed to in 2007/8. I shared digs with this crazy Romanian who was a conspiracy theorist who's theories became more and more mental the shittier this place became. We were surrounded by rice paddys that were dry at the time and the monsoon hadn't really come that year. We used to get re-supplied with bottled water and very limited rations through the local garrison but everything else we had to scrounge and buy out of the local villages. Not an easy task in the middle of the Malitia leaders territory where a lot of locals hated us with a passion and the order of the day was rioting, fire bombing and killing.

Out the front of our patch of real estate, there was a bore but it was very old and had what is know as a "Dragons' Head" hand pump on it. You can still get those pumps in The Third World but ours was ancient, rickety and had been fixed with wire and old bits of car tyre many times over and I think Noah watered Giraffe and Chooks with it on his Ark. To get anything out of it, you had to master the trick of priming it with a bottle of water to get the suction going and then gently finessing it along to keep a steady flow and not get air-locks in the damn thing.

The Romanian and I had got hold of two huge black plastic buckets, about 80 litres each, and we would fill them every few days and man handle them inside. A bit of chlorine and this other crap we had would go in and over night a lot of the minerals would drop out and form a rusty sediment and on top was a metallic looking glaze similar to what you see on some stagnant water or in swamps at times. It was as hard as and soaps and detergent didn't work too well either, made your skin like one of Noahs' Salt Water Croc's (..now how did he manage all that again Vicar?)

But, we used it for everything other than drinking and set up a good system where one 4 litre billy type of thing we had of boiled rust water was enough to make two buckets of warm water to wash with. One to get wet then scrub with soap and the other to rinse off with. Fairly primitive and labour intensive but we were very fortunate to have score somewhere with a bore since we were in this same district for a long time.

The Peecekeeper

Be careful when drinking directly from any unfamiliar water source

Even if it seems OK initially you simply do not know what the water contains there could also be non immediate health issues in doing this

It should be avoided unless in a serious genuine survival situation (you fear you will dehydrate or die from thirst)

You may get away with it you may not!

If you chance it and get away with it great, if you get it wrong you could have serious issues it could even kill you

Even in a survival situation (time permitting) I would consider extraction or sourcing water from other sources eg plastic/condensation from plants

Life straws and water filtration tablets will filter all of the natural nasty stuff such as microorganisms, bacteria etc and these are recommended even by the manufacturers to be used only in survival situations.

However man-made chemicals particularly some of those used in mining (Particularly older gold mining activity arsenic,cyanide mercury) and agriculture are not as easily filtered out,and usually require more complex methods to filter out correctly and to ensure safety

even at trace levels some of these chemicals are seriously nasty

Sawyer filters are similar in size to life straws, and will filter out chemicals, you can buy them on line, google sawyer water filters. Make sure its the activated charcoal filter.
cheers dave

Latest posts