Anyone know about vic Gobur goldfields

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My memories had been triggered in another post so I thought id ask..

I know my grandfather owned half a gold mine in Gobur near Alexandra, Vic. He used to take off for months and stay there working the mine with his mate.

Any information about Gobur, how would I trace his where abouts or mine location? I know he was last in there 10 years ago, he is now passed away.

Jack Stewart was his name, lived on old-gobur rd with a wonderful looking alluvial creek behind his large farm acreage.

My father doesnt like to share info about his father so im unable to gain any info from him :/

You could try the State library, they would have the info on a out of the way gold mine as any one else.

Hi AtomRat. Believe it or not I lived at Gobur from 1979 to 1985, have family still in the area and my mother was laid to rest at the Gobur cemetery many years ago. I still go there regularly and have contacts still there. Would be happy to chat and see if I can help direct you to someone there that may know of him. I can say a lot of the "old timers" are dropping fast there so if there's anyone there that may know of him, better ask fast. Cheers. :Y:

Hey Macca,
I have missed Atomrat in the last couple of years.
He was informative and fairly prolific in his posts.
I would love to see him back again.
Cheers Steve

How's things Mackka?
I checked his profile and saw he was on in January 2019 so figured he may get a notification that there was action on his post. Can only try, if he responds I may just be able to help him.
Cheers :perfect: