A true story..or...Gold in my veins.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks reefer,

I came home from playing in the masters squash tournament this weekend in Busselton. We've made it into the finals so I'm back there at 10 am tomorrow. I just needed some light reading to quietly pass the evening by while resting and recuperating.

I thoroughly enjoyed your stories and those of your ancestors. I hope you get the chance to put pen to paper and record everything you remember. My sister has some books left in a suitcase by my late mother. They are the journals written by my grandfather or great grandfather Hinze from the gold coast. I visited the old homestead that was on land at Advancetown now covered by the Hinze dam. The old house was later moved to the pioneer village before the dam was flooded.

I think most true Aussies value this early history but so much is lost through the lack of time and energy to put our memories on paper. Please keep the stories coming. There is no other way to preserve this important history.

Phil

Moneybox!..Busselton eh! I love that place..the wife and i encountered the best chilli mussels weve ever had there way back on our first trip to W,A...hehe..and we Stayed at the Grand Hotel on our trip there the year before last on our Wildflower sojourn. :p ..Just a lovely part of the world ,that's for sure :cool: Hinze!..are you related to the former politician of that ilk?...if so what a story THAT would be. I'd be keen to get my hands on those journals if I were you. God only knows what a wealth of history lives within those pages!
Your right in what you say about our family histories. Most people I know are interested in their family history , but there is so little of it passed down to them.In other cases it all seems way too hard to dig it all up...its amazing what you can uncover with a little digging up...just like hunting the yella ;)
I have been a little hesitant with a few of the yarns my old pop and my dad used to tell, for some of them would be half a novel in the writing. I have considered doing an abbreviated series of them ,but its not quite the same in the reading of it back to myself....my old pop had such a special way of telling the tales, and i feel i would not be true to him if i did'nt go the whole hog, so to speak...but we will see.Cheers...and please go for a training run for me out on the jetty next time your there..throw a pebble off the end for me...that will bring me back there to retrieve it one day..and.. perhaps we could enjoy some o' those mussels over a beer or three!Cheers ter ya..Rossco :cool:

oh!!! Moneybox! I forgot to say GOOD LUCK! in the tournament!..give em' hell Darren! :Y: :cool:

reefer said:
oh!!! Moneybox! I forgot to say GOOD LUCK! in the tournament!..give em' hell Darren! :Y: :cool:

Yes Darren it was a busy weekend. I don't need to go jogging on the jetty after five squash matches over four days. Every muscle has a bit of twinge. I won every match but dropped three games overall. Mrs M took the shield into Bunbury and had my name engraved in Gold. That would be the first recorded evidence of me playing ball sports. I started at 49 yrs of age because she wanted to get back to playing so I said that I'd give her a hit. I loved it and have played ever since apart from missing the last two years due to travel.

However you might have just given me an excuse for a trip to the end of the Busselton jetty. We last went there the year the underwater observatory opened. I have no idea when that was but it was quite a few years back.

The old journals have been kept safely hidden away for many years. I doubt anybody has read them for more than half a century at least. These are the things we think we'll get to when we have time in retirement but I've never been so busy. Have I really got more to do or have I just slowed down too much? I'm not sure...

Yes Russel Hinze was my mum's cousin. She spent a lot of years in the Nerang/Advancetown area and met my dad there as well.

:Y: Good show mate!..you've every reason to be proud of yourself for your efforts. :cool: A lot of history awaits you to uncover :p ...only.. time waits for no man! :| ..well.. I guess I;ll get back to the next story in this series of yarns: "The Cricket Club"....cheers!Rossco :cool:

The Cricket Club
They were on the cusp of winning the final match of the season. At 9 for 197 they had laboured all afternoon since tea for for this last wicket and there was only 15 minutes on the clock before the opposition snatched a well earned if not annoying draw.
Danny Pearson, captain of the Balmain side dreaded the word of the umpires shout of "over' yet again, as he received the ball from the keeper. What to do. He had worked his fast bowlers to a stand still and used up the spin boys ad nauseum.
His lifetime friend from the backstreets of the Rocks, the notable Billy Jenkins, could see his frustration and came trotting over from his 'long-off" station.
"Seems like we need a bloody miracle Dano" he drawled. "Yer right there mate. but you blokes are all done n' I can't ask yer ta back up after the 19 overs, you already done". Daniel lamented.
'Tell yer what" said Billy. give me another crack at this jumped-up joker and I'll see if I can trap him in front with slow'n.I noticed he doesn't come all the way down to the pitch with his bat on anything pitched really full. If I can catch 'im with a slow ball right on his toes we might get 'im lbw".... It was worth the gamble. If Billy was prepared to give his all, then that was good enough for Daniel, god knows Billy had the heart of a lion and this game is not over till its over.."Bugger it all," he thought to himself and tossed the ball to Billy.
Walking back to his marker, Billy picked it up and made a show of taking it back 5 yards or so. He stood there making sure the batsmen could see his fingers slightly askant of the seam and the batsman was left knowing this was going to be a fast in-swinger and probably just wide of the off stump, and at a perfect length to step out and pad back down the pitch. No need for runs at this stage time at the crease was the name of this game.
In came Billy and sure enough ,it was a good length ball just outside the off stump and he came forward and blocked it back down the pitch. Confidence was evident in him now as the second and third ball were simply a repeat of the first and he flashed his bat around and practiced the shot , adjusted his box and fiddled with the tabs on his gloves. The opposing supporters roared encouragement and the rounds of clapping and heckling of the bowling side rolled around the ground.
Then came the fourth bowl of the over. Billy came roaring in his fingers obviously positioned for the next in-swinger and the now cocky batsmen prepared to come forward and anticipate the line of the ball. Billy reached his delivery point and feigned a move with his left foot to signal and even faster in-swinger but, as he brought his bowling arm over he relaxed the muscles in his shoulder and let the ball flutter out of his hand with the seam bolt upright and pitched dead true at the batsman's feet.
What happened then no one will ever forget as the ball arrived well after the batsman was committed to an swinger but was devastated to find he was well through his stroke before the ball cannoned in to his foot...plumb in front of his wicket.Oh what a pair they looked as they staggered down the lane in the early ours of the next morning arm in arm and the crowd of wellwishers behind them all chanting the team song. That's the way it was with these two' inseparable mates come hell or high water and ..as it turned out, in the getting of gold. Yes, gold was what they had talked about for years for as Daniel had learned, Billy was a son of one of the 'true blue', his father and he as young ten year old had been at the meeting at Ballarat when Peter Lalor had stepped forward and invited those among the crowd to take the oath.He remembered his father .kneeling in the dirt on Bakery Hill and repeating the well known oath and he remembered the pain in his heart when they told him that his father had died at his post on that fateful Sunday, run through with A British bayonet whilst in the act of surrender with his hands up.
to be continued.
1489143578_english_cricket_team_1861.jpg

The Cricket Club:(Continued)
Six weeks after the funeral of his father, Billy's Mother took Them to Melbourne to finalize HIS Father's affairs.His Mother was surprised to learn from her solicitor that Billy's dad had provided for them very well. Several shipments by coach from the diggings had included those of his fathers and they were very secure at least for the near future.
They arrived in Sydney by ship some time later and his mother a Dressmaker by trade, opened a small Boutique on lower George St. Billy was enrolled at Fort ST. Public School soon after and that's where he met Daniel.
They kind of hit it off almost at once as they found they had similar interests and both shared a passion for cricket. Daniel's father had also passed away when he was younger...lost at sea off the coast of Victoria which saw all hands lost, so they understood each other's pain.I can assure the reader, that when you are a small lad and you lose a parent, its really good to have a brother at your side and Billy and Daniel became brothers very early on. As time went by these two youngsters endeared themselves to their local community in a miriad of ways. Always involved with the welfare of those less fortunate then themselves via various fund raising events via the Cricket Club and both boys got involved in the Newspaper boy caper. Billy's stand was up by The Railway near the old Australia Hotel and Daniel's down by the Quay so they always seemed to have a pocket full o' brass and they were generous to the needy kids among the back streets of the Rocks and everybody looked up to them and respected them for the respect they showed for each other seemed to rub off on all who knew them.
Finally they graduated from Fort Street Senior Colledge and Sydney, especially the areas around and adjacent to the Harbour, was their oyster. 3 years later both graduated with honours from University and all the years of the talk of gold and the life of a freeman with the knowledge and means to.. 'make a go of it' came to pass.
And they arrived at the 'Hunters River Inn" Tambarroora in the middle of September with all the well wishing and calls for ;three cheers" still ringing in their ears.
1489316941_fort_street_school_1859.jpg
Fort Street School circa 1860.
1489317131_hunters_river_inn_tamba.jpg
Arriving at the Hunters River Inn.They were 2-3 weeks securing all they would need for the 'diggin'. Timber props had to be cut and sized, shovels ,picks, all manner of things from a place to stay and securing a claim, a miners right each pots pans, everything and by the time they actually began driving a shaft on the most likely of their claims Tambaroora adored the both of them and a cricket club was formed to play on Sundays.
On the good advice of the locals who know theses things they began on the claim closest to a mob of blokes operating a high-power water sluicing operation. That claim was the last of the untouched gravels of the original finds and of two strong burly gents the likes of Billy and Daniel, the general conscences of 'the locals' was that they would 'do alright'...if they perservered..and perservere they did. The gravels here they found was reasonably compacted but the rock pick made short work of it and they'd drive 4ft and pan etc,etc so as by the time October gave wasy to November and with spring in the air courtesy of the Wattles they were in 20ft and chasing a run of good stuff that had brought them near encroaching on the mob next door!
It was obvious to the 'locals' that they were..' doin alright' as they would say, for they had sent several dispatches coachbound to Sydney via the Commissioners office and often ?"
Even the Chinese got on with them like house on fire and the boys made a point of buying fresh fruit and vegies from them and it was often .." Mornig Billy sa, velly good come no rain for diggy gol day.sa"..and ...velly good Hang Su, you make velly soon plenty big tomatoes for us eh.?
Oh! this was the life they were making a few quid, a lot of friends and Tambaroora was a roaring place to be on Friday and Saturday night and best of all there was Cricket on Sundays:...below Street View South:Tambaroora.
1489320315_album-80048-streetview-south_tambaroora.jpg
Chinese Quarter.
1489320398_album-80015-streetview-chinatown_tambaroora.jpg
By this stage it was mid December and the pay streak was diving down and further and closer to the mob next door. It was just another normal day at the facing as Billy resumed emtying the water buckets placed strategically here and there along the length of the drive. There were 10 or twelve of them now and the floor of the drive was wet under foot right out to the adit. Billy emptied the one nearest the audit over his head and wiped his brow with his kerchief,"christ its hot !" he said out loud and returned to the face where Daniel sat swirling a bit of pay in the old steel pan. It was as plain as day even in the dim light of the kerosene lamp that something was up."Hullo, what you got there old mate." he offered, and Daniel said nothing and just only managed to offer the pan to Daniel.
Oh the joy of it! It was there for all to see, taking up its place in the pan.. that beautiful glint in all its glory! No need to wash this stuff to much,one only needed a flamin' spoon to scoop the gold out of the mix. The locals had told them of the riches of the old diggings and there was a chance that they hadn't got all of it and the proof of that was staring fair in his face. He too settled back in his haunches and soon after was chortling and gafawing in an uncontrollable and throaty skirmish that rattled around there for a bit and suddenly bust forth in a fit of equally uncontrollable half-giggle half- wailing. Daniel by now had caught the contagion and was trying to do a bent-over rendition of the Irish jig that his mum had taught him.
They embraced in the way that brothers do and they marveled at the look in each others eyes. They had hit a pocket , the likes of which they could not of imagined in their wildest fantasies. Daniel stood up and bumped his head on the roof of the drive. That's when the whole section of the drive collapsed on top of them. They were almost certainly dead within a minute or so and it was 4 days later that their cold bodies were freed from the clutched of the clay.They had been driving to close to the power sluicing next door and the weeks of overspray from the operations had insidiously softened the whole drive despite the props they had employed.
They were toasted with a bottle of the best whisky in town and were were long remembered by the members of The Cricket Club.
Footnote: photos courtesy of the Hillend and environs historical records.

traggic but at least they died happy and together. i second daves remark all wonderful history :Y: :Y:

Thank you Davent and Reynard ;) Glad you appreciate the stories and I hope you both enjoyed the "Cricket Club" despite the Tragedy of the collapsed drive. My Old Pop almost always told that one with a tear in his eye at that point. Maybe he knew them or maybe he would work himself up to an emotional state..I'll never know..One thing is for sure!... I won't ever be found 4 days after a lead-collapse! :p I'm an 'open air' miner!!..hehe..Cheers Rossco.

Thanks Reefer
Brings to mind the person I would have most liked to have met - my great grand father. Here's a bit of his history.

We know he was in the Canadian Navy because he dived into Hudsons Bay and saved someone from drowning.
I have his handwritten Royal Humane Society award presented by the Duke of York.

He deserted and joined the Confederate Army.
I have a Confederate $10 note he kept

He turned up in Australia, in particular Ballarat in 1864, coincidentally when the Confederate warship the Shenandoah visited Melbourne.

He became a prospector one Ballarat goldfields
I have his 1864 Ballarat Miners' Right hanging on the wall of my faceting workshop.
I have his fob pocket compass

He became an Australian citizen (occupation given as 'Puddler')
I have that document.

He must have made a good living on the goldfields because he bought a farm in Plenty Road Bundoora and the family lived there until 1962 when it was sold (it is now where Latrobe University is located).

I wonder if its in the blood as I love going bush and panning for yellow stuff (only found enough to fill a tooth) and love searching for gemstones - he was obviously lone gone before I arrived but wouldn't it have been a blast to have been able to sit and listen to his stories he was obviously a bit of a lad and an adventurer.

BTW I have a copy of his miners right saved as a pdf but don't know how to post it here

mate thanks for the story of your ancestor..they were a tough lot..hehe. with regard to your pdf, above where you write you will see a series of icons...you tube etc hover over the small blue one..it will say(image)..left click it and you will get a window which includes the words (CHOOSE FILE) click that and you can then go to where you have the file and then just click( open)the file should then add to your post.cheers, Rossco.

Wow! what a treasure you have there mate!..I note you clicked all the right thingo's to post your photo ;) hehe yes if only we could sit with the oldtimers and write down the things they had to say about the old days :/ I was very lucky as a small child to gather just a smattering of the things my old Pop had to say about his life and times...it seemed he had thousands of yarns and info about his times and by the time I was 22 he was gone and I never got much of a chance to sit down with him in those latter days of his life.
It seems you have some tangible reminders of your great grandfather that I know you value very highly and rightly so!...Perhaps a search through ancestry.com might lead to more info about him..worth a try!
Thanks for posting the pic of the miners right and ..your right.. when its in your blood, its in your dna..and you just gotta go bush and know that the spirit of your Great Grandad is right there beside you, and that way... the 'days of yore' live on through you and me and a whole bunch of blokes like us on this forum whom we regard as sons of the "True Blue". Cheers ter yer!Rossco :cool:

Thanks Rossco - might be a DNA thing, don't laugh but I found out by accident that I am more reactive to divining rods than most people and I wonder if that is a gift from my ancestry. Will be waving them about up at Rubyvale area soon looking for good gravel.
cheers

Our Friend.
an abstract perspective.(read.. 'Day Dreaming')

Our Friend was born about thirteen and a half billion years ago along with it's siblings, in the split seconds of the big bang.When all that ever would be had its foundation in creation.Through a complex process of gravity, dark matter, electromagnetic energy, and cosmic dust, the business of galaxy formation had begun and eventually it comprised a tiny fraction of the fiery mass of the early earth.At some point in time because 'Our Friend,' and its siblings are so much more abundant in the earth mantle than at its core, it is believed that a massive period of meteoric bombardment occurred, bringing with it vastly more of its precious contents than otherwise would have been.And for a long time, it lay locked away within the matrix of the cooling mantle.
Eventually, like all things that cool, also shrink, cracks appeared in the now solid mantle and the process of 'Plate Tectonics' began.What before was one huge continental mass eventually was rendered apart by the unstoppable process of 'Continental drift' and what was once the surface, now became a part of the earths magma and what was once a part of the mantle was now subjected to millions of years of weathering and oxidisation so that now 'Our Friend' was just a picks blow from the glorious sunshine of a warm Spring day in the Central West of New South Wales.Valuable, shining, elusive, addictive, frustrating and rare 'Our Friend' the Gold Reef, lay waiting there for us to find.
copyright 2017.reefer. :p

From Boy to Man.

The young lad stood before the desk.
And stared with dread at the Leather chair
He knew that soon the Headmaster
Would take his seat and sit on there

The young man's hands behind his back '
His feet a shoulders width apart
He wondered what might happen next
And just when all his strife would start

And soon the door, ornate and grand
Was thrust open with a sweaty hand
Twas the priest who ran the show
Now at last his fate he'd know

Of course, the young lad knew the drill
At once he stood up to attention
He knew this man would 'Throw the Book"
and this increased his apprehension.

"You have been found with this foul book."
As he took it from a folder
"You have also been found with these cigarettes,
The possession of which you need be older."

Father Cianta was a Maltese man
Round glasses on his nose
His gaze was a 'self-serving' stare
As far as staring, goes

"This is a ticket for the train
You are, hereby, expelled!
No act of yours will purge your shame"
And on and on he yelled.

The journey 'home' on the train for him
Was filed with trepidation
What would he say to his old man
As the train neared it's destination.

He wondered back to his incarceration
At the 'Establishment for Reformation'
As filled with fear and feeling down
He stood before, the gates of Boys Town.

The years he spent feeling alone
For having run away from 'home'
The sentence of the Magistrate
Six years to spend behind the gate.

It all seemed now so long ago
He was older now, should let it go
Time to turn from boy to man
Forget about how it all began.

Look to his future and build on that
Till suddenly jolted from the seat where he sat
An hour or more had flown away
His 'life' would start from this very day!.

He grabbed his 'things', his Port and coat
There was little else for him to tote
He stepped down on the platform there
And run his fingers through his hair.

He found a seat and promptly sat
Observing this and seeing that
What to do to make a quid
And then an idea flipped his lid!.

He could sing, a marvelous tune
And so he started then to croon
The crowd who waited sullen and grim
Began to gather in front of him.

One, placed a shilling on his coat
T'was like some nectar for his throat!
He sang and sang and they gave and gave
They all seemed enchanted by this young naive.

And when at last he checked his coat
There lay three pounds ten on which to gloat
He had his freedom, he could rent a bed
And peace shone down upon his head.

Copyright Ross.L. Langlands.2017.

HaHA Thanks mate...what you think means a lot to me. If you think it was ok well I guess it is...one thing..if you ever are tempted to say my work is good when it clearly isn't...then don;t be tempted ;) Ok!... :Y: ....see you on Monday mate..my eyeballs are getting in the way of my keyboard!...might just hang around for a while though...go and have a durry etc...

Latest posts