A true story..or...Gold in my veins.

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reefer

Ross Langlands
Reaction score
Old Pop Goodwin my mothers father, packed up and moved the family to Lithgow around 1914.Times were tough for a tin and gold miner around the Tinga area and there were good jobs at the Steelworks ..or the Hoskins Works known as Australian Iron and Steel.
Once there and camped down on the Vale of Clyde, it took a while for that precious job to eventuate. So.. Pop being a miner and the nearby Cox's River being a gold bearing stream, Pop decided to fill in the meantime by prospecting a likely spot not far off the Raglan road.
It was the height of summer and the incessant hum of cicadas and clouds of bush flies were the order of the day. It was getting on in the afternoon and the unbearable heat of the day prompted the old bloke to seek a shady spot a little further up the stream.
First one pan and then two more confirmed it.. Gold! not a couple of specks as is the norm these days..but gold in abundence, gold! wonderful shining heavy and right through the whole wash in the pan. Gold! Untouched by human hands since it washed here eaons ago.
And here it was, his for the taking. Only, he was'nt equipped to mine all this lot, he would need his shovels, his pick, some sheet iron to make a grate for a banjo, blankets to line the sluice trench and sqared off timber for the riffles, tucker and and a bed roll, everything then some. It would mean he would have to pack up for the day ,get back to the family, organise the gear he would need... try to keep a lid on the find he had made, a thousand things and then some went roaring through his gold feverish mind.
To town, as soon as he could get there, to town and never mind the climb back out to the road to.. to town, to town! and never mind the blackberries , to town as fast as his powerful legs could carry him to town, scrambling up over log and branch, through the thickest of the blackberries was the shortest way out..to town and.... then the fall! ...backwards tumbling, tearing, bleeding and crumpled in a heap in the thickest of the berries.

He lay there for how long he knew not. It was getting darker, he knew that much and there was another thing he sensed, something piecing silent and ..deadly in the form of the gaze of a tiger snake. Three or four foot of it erect and agitated, slowly swaying from side to side.. its fork tounge, flicking and caressing the air around it, seemingly waiting for his slightest move to launch itself at his head.
For some strange reason that did'nt make sense his hat was still on his head. He had worn that hat all through his days at Tinga an old felt job in the "Wide- Awake" style. Now with this menace not two or three feet from his face it was his only chance of coming out of this unscathed. Slowly,almost imperceptably, he reached with his hand for it,inch by inch ever fearful of a telling blow from the tigersnake, until at last he had his hat clenched tightly in his hand.
Timing was going to be the "be all and end" all of his next move. He lay there working up the courage, strength and agility that he surely knew he would need in this all out effort to counteract the lightning response from his adversary. When the time came..and with his heart beating like a bass drum, he hurled his hat at the tigersnake.
All but a nano second later the snake struck out at the hat. Like a lightning bolt,'as he later told it'.. he sprung to his feet, jumped over the snake," which by now had its fangs deeply planted among the crumpled rim of his wide-awake"..and toppled... head over heels back down to the waters edge.He was ok, bruised and bleeding sure, but he lived to tell the tale..and.. pulled about 20ounces from that spot..eventually..gingerly.. with a big stick always close at hand..cheers ROSSCO reefer.

Imagine the piercing look from that first glance at one out most daunting reptiles, knowing one strike could be the end of it all within a matter of no time

Smart man to use his hat

Thanks to all who have responded so positively to my humble literary offering. I have many tales of the goldfields tucked away in my heart,as both my grandfathers were handed down the old skills and stories from there fathers, who handed them down to me.It's a shame that despite this knowledge, I am yet to find...MY, 20 OUNCES. :cool: my Greatgrandfather..George Langlands was a relief teacher who travelled all the old roads and tracks throughout the gold districts including Hillend, Tambaroora, Wyndeyer, Rockley and the Abercrombie and although most of the big rushes were a little before his time, the stories and legends were still told around the campfires at night and i have fond memories of them relating those stories to me infront of the old fireplace in Davey St.Lithgow.

These days i try to combine my also inherited knack of music and my modern day highbanking by passing on all i can to my lot including my Nephew, Adam and his strong boys. I was so looking forward to playing for the group from P.A. but unfortunately we will not be able to make it for the Tuena weekend over 10-12th july as Adam:aka:Banjoman, has not recovered from his knee problems sufficiently enough as to be able to suffer the journey.

Finally ..if the moderators think it befitting i would love to occassionally share more of the stories from the goldfields with the members and would truelly love to meet up with all the fellas..and Ladies :cool: some time in the coming spring..PS WITH THE HOPEFUL BLESSING OF THE MODERATORS :rolleyes:i have available my book for children entitled SAGE AND SANDOM and The Island of the Monkmees..a 'colour in" pictue and story book illustrated by Adam's older brother Tony Langlands,personally signed and dated for members children age 8-12...Cheers Rossco.

reefer said:
Thanks to all who have responded so positively to my humble literary offering. I have many tales of the goldfields tucked away in my heart,as both my grandfathers were handed down the old skills and stories from there fathers, who handed them down to me.It's a shame that despite this knowledge, I am yet to find...MY, 20 OUNCES. :cool: my Greatgrandfather..George Langlands was a relief teacher who travelled all the old roads and tracks throughout the gold districts including Hillend, Tambaroora, Wyndeyer, Rockley and the Abercrombie and although most of the big rushes were a little before his time, the stories and legends were still told around the campfires at night and i have fond memories of them relating those stories to me infront of the old fireplace in Davey St.Lithgow.

These days i try to combine my also inherited knack of music and my modern day highbanking by passing on all i can to my lot including my Nephew, Adam and his strong boys. I was so looking forward to playing for the group from P.A. but unfortunately we will not be able to make it for the Tuena weekend over 10-12th july as Adam:aka:Banjoman, has not recovered from his knee problems sufficiently enough as to be able to suffer the journey.

Finally ..if the moderators think it befitting i would love to occassionally share more of the stories from the goldfields with the members and would truelly love to meet up with all the fellas..and Ladies :cool: some time in the coming spring..PS WITH THE HOPEFUL BLESSING OF THE MODERATORS :rolleyes:i have available my book for children entitled SAGE AND SANDOM and The Island of the Monkmees..a 'colour in" pictue and story book illustrated by Adam's older brother Tony Langlands,personally signed and dated for members children age 8-12...Cheers Rossco.

Great yarn Rossco!
Did you and your band play at the goanna muster a few years ago at Mookerawa?

Cheers,
Billy.

Rossco,
That would be an invaluable contribution mate.
If you have a heap of yarns relating to the good old days, It is worth writing them out because
when you are not around, That history is lost.
Especially if they have been handed down from a bygone era.

Yes Billy that was us..glad you remembered us..albeit my P.A. near blew up :cool:

1436064329_mookerawa_1.jpg

reefer said:

Awesome mate and I was the big bald bloke that helped you out with a bit of setup and pack away and tending to the big fire!!

Was a great night and I think I have some photo's somewhere which I will try and find.

Nothing like a few beers etc and some great tunes beside a roaring fire in the middle of the goldfields!! :cool:

Hope to see you out bush again soon mate. :)

Cheers,
Billy.

ah...mate i remember...we shut down two of the outfronts...and VOLA! WE WERE ROCK'N...HEHE Thank you!Yes its really good to chill out and just let the evening unfold with a... huge.. fire, and a glass of...whatever takes your fancy :p mate... stay in touch and we can make it happen again :cool: hopefully in the not too distant future! in the mean time stay safe and I'll look forward to our next meet up.. whats your preferred venue. cheers.... Rossco..oh p.s... would love to see those pics, so dig 'em up if you can ...great to here from you after all this time...you made my day! :cool:

What a beaut story!
Please tell us some more
As Tathradj said, once your gone their gone
would be a shame not to share

Keep the stories coming mate, post them in this one thread if yo want to keep it neat on the forum

Id love to read up on more. I wish I knew about my grandfather, his vietnam experience and then when he returned he worked in his gold mine at Gobur and thats as far as I know.

Latest posts