Chewton-Fryerstown

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Detrack said:
Had a look around didn't see a soul , could hear a few cars go past but keep my head to the ground maybe tomorrow I might see a prospector or two about

Looks like a great day for it Detrack. Would love to be out there today but have too much other stuff on. Hope you get some yellow if you're out there today.

AtomRat said:
I'll be up there again soon mate. See many puddles from the rain by any chance Detrack?

HardLuck - I've been looking for the clear quartz crystals norths of the town, would you have any info on where these are located? I've been into 3 gullies soo far without seeing even a broken fragment yet.

AT. Sorry mate can't help out with that. I've been working south of Chewton. Those pics of the burnt out area are down around Kemps Bridge Rd from memory.

Hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge and experience can pipe in.

AtomRat said:
I'll be up there again soon mate. See many puddles from the rain by any chance Detrack?

HardLuck - I've been looking for the clear quartz crystals norths of the town, would you have any info on where these are located? I've been into 3 gullies soo far without seeing even a broken fragment yet.

Can give you two spots that come to mind both are south of chewton .

Hard Luck said:
Detrack said:
Had a look around didn't see a soul , could hear a few cars go past but keep my head to the ground maybe tomorrow I might see a prospector or two about

Looks like a great day for it Detrack. Would love to be out there today but have too much other stuff on. Hope you get some yellow if you're out there today.

AtomRat said:

AT. Sorry mate can't help out with that. I've been working south of Chewton. Those pics of the burnt out area are down around Kemps Bridge Rd from memory.

Hopefully someone with a lot more knowledge and experience can pipe in.

Cold last night -2 I see a white Toyota Hilux in one of my posted spots has a green P plate on it

..south of town? wonder why I havnt hit anything yet, its where I spend most my time there.

you can post me a pm if you like Detracks, I mustnt be too far off the area. My best finds soo far have been 6" white quartz crystals ive had to gently remove from boulders but havnt seen really any clear.

im usually in a ba ford or vn holden.. real 4x4's lol.

im sluicing as well, not detecting

Okay...so I've been chatting with an old friend from Castlemaine lately. This bloke doesn't prospect but obviously knows a few that do living out that way. Seems like there have been a few nice sized pieces picked up in the general "area" of Chewton and Fryerstown in the last few weeks.
For all anyone knows they were found in Wedderburn and the story is meant to throw us of the scent...lol

Anyways..not meaning to start another rush out that way..oops too late for that now isn't it. I was going to head out for an overnighter this weekend but realised i have a hive full of honey i need to get to so i can stock up for the winter.

So weather pending I'm thinking an overnighter on Saturday 9 April is looking good for me at this stage. I have a mate who is keen to get out so hopefully he will come along as i get sick of talking to the dog at times.

Will confirm later next week but hopefully a few of us can meet up and find some "stuff"...hahahaha

Was there myself recently, got a few little species. Have you run across the Castlemaine pigs yet? Two blokes, one in his 30,s ish and an older bloke 60+? One uses a gpx the other an sdc. Leave rubbish everywhere they go and sh#t anywhere they like leaving it unburied. Their calling signs are sh#t and sh#t paper and energy drink cans. Locals I believe. Nice place ruined by pigs.

Many go up there thinking its middle bush and don't realise yheres a walking track through the half of it which locals use everyday. I've seen some trashy zones, not as bad as melbournes water catchment..but close.

Jon said:
Was there myself recently, got a few little species. Have you run across the Castlemaine pigs yet? Two blokes, one in his 30,s ish and an older bloke 60+? One uses a gpx the other an sdc. Leave rubbish everywhere they go and sh#t anywhere they like leaving it unburied. Their calling signs are sh#t and sh#t paper and energy drink cans. Locals I believe. Nice place ruined by pigs.

I have been known to sh!t anywhere I like in the bush , once I shat on a track :D

AtomRat said:
On another note, has anyone seen Middleton's creek flowing yet or is it still dry

I was walking in the creek last week. There were a number of cup sized rock pools, but no sign of any flow, nor even way up in Browns Gully.

BYO water.

Cheers Len :eek:

Give it 24 hrs and you will see abit more water about, Yes I have seen those pigs many times and have been doing it for a good 12 months in the area.

Not Happy Jane

Hi, my names David.. I am resurrecting this Chewton-Fryerestown thread, rather than starting another one on the same subject.. I'm new to both detecting and this site.

I'm curious as to whether people are still finding gold in the area. I have an X-terra 705 with the elliptical gold coil and have been detecting over the last two weeks on and off either side of Vaughan-Chewton Rd, near Jacobs track to the west, and around Morgan's track and Evanmore track to the west. I've also tried down behind the Duke of Cornwall mine, and briefly down into the Glenluce Upper Loddon state forest. Other areas have been along Crocodile Reservoir Track just north of Herron's Reef.

Today I tried up around Quartz Hill road North of Chewton... Amazing terrain with so many loamed and sluiced areas it looks like and old battlefield.

I was pretty disappointed to come across so much recent littering, with Asahi beer bottles which looked like they'd been dumped there very recently, no fading of the paper labels, as well a lot of toilet paper which had been just left scattered about. Pretty ordinary.

I've heard mixed reviews of the X-terra 705 but I'm beginning to learn how to adjust it for the various ground condtitions... That being sai, I haven't found any gold, but have found a lot of old .22 shells, clothes buttons, lots of bits of lead amongst the smaller items. A few projectiles amongst that lot.

Without expecting people to give up there best spots, is there anywhere generally in the Fryerstown / Chewton areas that people could recommend having a swing?

If you see a silver 1999 Mitsubishi Lancer sedan out in the area, I'd love to say g'day.

My family have a place up in Fryerstown, so I'm up in the area every chance I get.. It's tough work toiling one-up in the summer months.

I'll post up some photos of some of my findings.

Gday David,
You could try up near the garfield water wheel go up north rd theres a road that turns off to it and a smalller track that turns off from that.theres lots of diggings lots of trash but also a little bit of yella here and there
Hope that helps
Cheers
Mardymoose

Like mardymoose says...and just about any hill/flat/gutter in the region is worth trying...it's just a matter of walking over it.

It never ceases to amaze me the stories recounted of newbs going out and making great finds, gold or relics,....with all types of machines.

Like the two guys just recently in the UK....found jewellery items worth a few million, and they are the oldest surviving examples to date recovered for that era....

You just have to walk over it, and dig every target.... :Y:

Anywhere in the area ................ out to Tunnel Hill right side of railway line............... Fryerstown out to Glenluce Springs
Have retraced to a lot of places I got to know as a kid ferreting and have always yielded a result ;)
As has been said pretty much the whole area is worth a look :)

Thanks for the comments all. I'm looking forward to some cooler weather so it isn't quite as gruelling as it has been.

It sounds like I am more or less in the right area. Ive also wandered parts of the Fryers Ranges State Forest and the Fryers Ridge State Forest

1488590486_img_20170302_2055181.jpg

Thursdays findings

1488591339_img_20170301_133559.jpg

One of the most concerning things I've come across in the bush... Rang Castlemaine police station to alert them

1488591401_img_20170228_144045.jpg

Golden Orb spiders out in full force. This one was the size of the palm of my hand.

1488591442_img_20170225_135153.jpg

It almost had me thinking I'd found a decent nugget.. not to be.

1488591488_img_20170226_143228_1.jpg

Last weeks findings..

1488591516_img_20170302_140958.jpg

The Lancer.. if you see it, I'm probably not too far away

1488591602_img_20170302_194934.jpg

Great colours from the setting sun

That just looks like a friendly subtle your not welcome here proceed no further sign to me ? :) :) It would make me check my GPS location and confirm just who's land I may be on ;)

1488605295_subtle_sign.jpg

Latest posts