Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Dozer :)

I'm gonna try and find something that Google doesn't have the answer for. Might have to open up a real book :eek:

Will come back with a new question tonight.

AU

I would think someone who whips around a baseball diamond picking up the bats after the hitters have hit the ball? OR
You are the person who tries to herd the sheep aka (congressmen) aka(Whip) in the Congress of the USA? OR
You got really lucky in US Civil War. Fighting for the Union, you were captured by the South and made to Whip your fellow Northern Prisoners making you a Yankee Whip?

a "Yankee Whip" is an American Dominatrix.

or perhaps it was a gold rush era miner's union official?

btw,

the duck said:
This one is going to be hard to research
Why was the yarra river misnamed

Because it is not in fact a river but a caf crme brulee, and in the local dialect of the first people, "Yarra" meant "can sometimes be walked across"

Over to you Victorians......... :p

the duck said:
You would be a stage coach driver

Right you are duck. Darn I thought it was going to be a tough one.

A Yankee whip was a name for the first drivers of the Cobb & Co. coaches as they were Americans.

Over to you duck :)

AU

Easy,
Ciev X
A boat carrying over 400 asylum seekers to Australia sank on 19 October 2001. 353 people died in the disaster. The Australian government was criticized for not doing anything to help the survivors for three days.

Cheers
Mick

The Cataraqui

As the Cataraqui entered Bass Strait in the early morning of 4 August, she encountered a severe storm. At about 04.30 hours, the ship was cast suddenly onto jagged rocks just off Fitzmaurice Bay on King Island off the north-western coast of Tasmania. Attempts to evacuate the ship were hindered by the large waves and heavy weather which washed many of the ship's occupants overboard. Eight crewmen managed to reach the shore by clinging to floating wreckage, where they encountered the only emigrant survivor, Solomon Brown. 406 Lives were lost. The nine castaways were stranded on King Island for five weeks until they were rescued by the cutter Midge and taken to Melbourne.

Centaur off Qld many years back?, and I cant remember how many hands went down on HMAS Sydney back in WWII but it was around the 400 i think?

I'll give it a "shot". "Devils Brew" is the affectionat name for coffee
Edward Lloyds coffee house (founded in 1668), eventually became Lloyds of London, the world-famous insurers. Similarly, Jonathons Coffee House became the London Stock Exchange.

Latest posts