Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Magilla. An ounce per week would be nice!

Who am I?

I was born in 1830 in England. My brother and I came to Australia the very same year Robert Gascoyne-Cecil visited. Like him, we too travelled to the Victorian goldfields, but unlike him, we came seeking our fortunes.

PT73 said:
Cheers Magilla. An ounce per week would be nice!

Who am I?

I was born in 1830 in England. My brother and I came to Australia the very same year Robert Gascoyne-Cecil visited. Like him, we too travelled to the Victorian goldfields, but unlike him, we came seeking our fortunes.

Would it be Ellen Clacy

You got it Woomera, good on you. I thought this one would be a bit harder as there was not much info on her.

Clacy, Ellen

Ellen Clacy (1830-1901) was born in Richmond, Surrey. In 1852, she and her eldest brother Frederick sailed to Australia to seek their fortune. She visited the goldfields where she stayed for two months, but returned to England where she began a literary career under the pseudonym of Cycla. She earned her living till her marriage writing for newspapers and magazines. Her first book, while memoir, gives a valuable account of life on the Victorian goldfields, particularly for women A Ladys Visit to the Gold Diggings of Australia in 18521853 (1853). She also wrote fiction, including the novels Lights and Shadows of Australian Life (1854), Passing Clouds (1858), and Aunt Dorothys Will (1860). In 1854, she married Charles Berry Clacy. She died in 1901 in London.

A Ladys Visit to the Gold Diggings of Australia in 1852-53: Written on the Spot, Hurst and Blackett , London, 1853.
Bibliography:

Thompson, Patricia (ed) (1963) A Ladys Visit to the Gold Diggings in 1852-1853, Lansdowne Press, Melbourne

No place for a lady

Most of the men who flocked to the diggings in the early years of the Australian gold rush left their wives and family at home. The harsh life of the goldfields was considered too rough for a respectable woman. It was not long, however, before women travelled to the goldfields, and as early as 1851 there were women digging for gold alongside their husbands. An 1854 census of the Ballarat goldfields found there were 4023 women compared to 12,660 men living on the diggings and only 5 percent of these women were single.

A pocket edition adventure

Ellen Clacy, a young, single, middle class woman from England, panned for gold alongside her brother and their companions. At the height of gold fever she captured the imagination of Europe when she published memoirs of her adventure A Ladys Visit to the Gold Diggings of Australia. Ellen wrote of the difficult and rainy journey from Melbourne to Forest Creek. She travelled on the dray, her back resting against a bag of flour and her feet on a block of cheese. At night she slept fully-clothed in a partitioned area of her brother's tent.

Neither mud and rain, nor frightening tales of bushrangers could dampen her enthusiasm for gold digging. Ellen describes the diggings as "a novel scene! thousands of human beings engaged in digging, wheeling, carrying, and washing, intermingled with no little grumbling, scolding and swearing". Along with her daily routine of cooking for the men in her mining party and panning for gold in the dirt they dug up, she managed a few adventures. Ellen, her brother and another of their mining party were lost in the woods after a storm one Sunday night when Ellen fell into a flooded hole. Although the hole was only five feet deep, the self-described "pocket edition" sized woman was completely submerged in mud and water. Many on the diggings drowned by falling into flooded holes, but Ellen survived with only a sprained ankle.

You got it Woomera, good on you. I thought this one would be a bit harder as there was not much info on her.

Thanks for the Quiz PT73, just read a book on gold history and Lord Cecil and Ellen Clacy where in the same chapter. Lord Cecil's goldfields diary would be a good read and Ellen Clacy's book "A Ladys Visit to the Gold Diggings of Australia in 1852-53" you can download from Google books for free click on gear icon top right to download as a PDF file

It would appear that he wasn't aware of the way the thread works, he is new to the forum. If you have a question GT put it up.

Any guesses who it might be. He is part of Australian history, I'll give a few clues. Who am I, "Poster beer 11 gold miner born in 1841"

Hi folks,

Sorry not to post the question this morning, I have been cleaning up after a trip to Tomahawk Creek chasing saphires. Yes we did get a couple of cutters.

The question for today,

Who am I?

Although I died of typhoid in 1915, I have been remembered as the youngest because of who I am.

I hope that this is not too vague. :eek:

Cheers

Doug

Hi Rob P,

Yes you are correct, I happen to go to the Spirit of ANZACS display in Townsville today. He must have been keen to sign up when he was 14 years and 3 months old to serve your country and then die in the Gallipoli campaign 6 months later. I wish our latest generation of young ones were that keen.

Over to you Rob.

Cheers

Doug

Sorry RJ, not the answer I wanted. The question has two aspects and while Stringy Bark creek may be a where, it doesn't meet the intended what is this place answer. This place has an imposing structure and many others also visited this place since mid 1800's.

Rob.

Latest posts