Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No not Horatio Spencer Bob. Good try though....I lived well after my fathers passing in 1858 and well beyond the average age for men of my time.

Although crooked he was not that bent.
:lol:

But seriously, nice try mate. Gotta run to work, will think of another clue and post this arvo.
cheers

I am not Ruse, he arrived with the first fleet almost two decades before I was born and over a decade before my father first stepped foot on these shores.

I spent a couple of hours on this and came up empty, my wife asked what the question was and found the answer in half an hour.

It is Obed West and his father was Thomas West.

Great question.

Yes it is Obed West.
Well done Mrs Magilla! I was just about to post another clue after Bob's request which was kind of a riddle too. Here it is anyway.

Regarding our achievements...

Just like James Ruse, my father's scope was to help sustain the early colony at a fundamental level, however, my sight was set on something of a more personal level that I was utmost proficient at.

Congrats Magilla. Just before I hand it over to you I might post a couple of passages/links re the West fellas.

cheers

;)

Thomas West: Thomas West was pardoned on Christmas Eve 1813 for, his general good conduct and character for Sobriety and industry and also in consideration of his having erected a Water Mill for grinding of grain at Barcom Glen within one mile of the town of Sydney, being the first Water Mill ever erected in the immediate vicinity of the Town, and as a further Mark of approbation of the conduct of the said Thomas West the Governor has been pleased to make a Donation of a Cow from the Government herds.

Obed West: He was a keen sportsman, and at an early stage of his life took an active interest in promoting sports and pastimes generally. In this connection, however, he was principally identified with rifle and pigeon (gun) clubs, and was one of the best shots of his day, winning many valuable trophies for proficiency in gunnery, and being the winner of the first gold medal given for rifle shooting in this colony.

That was a tough one.

I will be away for a few days, if someone else would like to put a question up go ahead, if not I will post one early next week.

The West's, such accomplished men from very humble beginnings. Obed actually produced a memoir commenting on early Sydney life and regularly wrote for the Sydney presses of the time, including the Herald.

Death of Mr. Obed West.
Mr. Obed West, a very old Sydney identity, died on Monday at his place of residence, Barcom Glen, Darlinghurst. He succumbed to an attack of apoplexy. Mr. West was born in Pitt-street, Sydney, in 1807, and was in his 84th year at the time of his death. He was probably the oldest living Sydney native; and it was said of him that he had never been out of New South Wales, and very seldom out of Sydney. The old gentleman was a perfect storehouse of reminiscences of the early days of the colony, and witnessed many stirring and curious sights in the old convict times - the floggings, the executions, and the chain gangs; but he also took an active interest in the rise and development of the colony. A few years ago he contributed to the Sydney press a series of articles on the early history of the colony. He came of a good sterling family, and was held in very high esteem, and leaves behind a name that will long be kindly remembered. The deceased gentleman leaves 113 living descendants.

Some links for further reading...

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/west-obed-13321

http://australianroyalty.net.au/individual.php?pid=I67014&ged=purnellmccord.ged

BTW. I first came across Obed West in a book written by Tim Flannery called the Birth Of Sydney. I highly recommend this book. I'll be giving it to my sons to read when they are old enough to digest it. It is basically a compilation of true accounts and diary entries from the first fleeters, including convicts, soldiers, governors,visitors from countries abroad and even indigenous peoples of the time. I remember reading this book and thinking why the hell weren't we taught this history at school? It would seem some really important history and facts were conveniently left out.

cheers everyone
:)

Who am I?

I arrived in Australia as a criminal and ended up being the first Australian to hold a position that is today held in high esteem.

I was put in charge of convict labour gangs and when my sentence was served I was granted land and convict labour to farm it.

The year after I finished serving my sentence I was granter a Liquor licence and opened an inn in Sydney.

Isaac Nichols is the man, well picked up. Thought it may have taken a bit longer.

His story makes interesting reading, he was Australia's first Postmaster as well as being a successful business man, farmer and he even got into boat building.

Your go Quinton.

Thanks Magilla, yes yet another accomplished man from humble and felonious beginnings. I am very surprised by how many ex-convicts turned publicans/liquor licensees in the day.

I'll have a think and post my question tomorrow.

;)

Latest posts