Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cheers Ramjet. Without google I would never have known this fact, but do know this area is near gold country! Every time I head up the New England I think I must take a detour and explore this area. Anyway, here's my question...

I am the son of a pardoned convict Father and I married a convict's daughter. My father was represented by the explorer Wentworth in a Supreme Court land dispute. After my father's death in 1858 I successfully extended the family holdings by securing more land for farming and investment in both Sydney and the gold mining town of Hill End.

Certainly the right location and close to the timeframe DrDuck. Another clue... By comparison to my father who was thick and short in stature I was a large man. I stood over 6ft and weighed over 100kg.

Oh, I forgot to add some vital clues regarding my father... At the time of his pardoning he was bestowed a cow. He was also minus an index on his right hand, evidence of a hard toiled life.

:lol:

Although totally legit, I was being a little tongue in cheek. They are more anecdotal than vital, but still clues nonetheless. I will leave it a while and then add some more solid clues, unless you get it before then. These people, although not the most prominent figures, certainly played notable roles in the shaping of Sydney's colonial past.

;)

I can only guess at this stage that it may be Darling of Darling river, darling harbor etc. He was defended by Wentworth.
Cant find his sons name yet. Good question.

GT :)

After my father's death in 1858 I successfully extended the family holdings by securing more land for farming and investment in both Sydney and the gold mining town of Hill End.

It's only small but just wish to revise the above. There may be speculation as to when our mystery man secured some of the holdings (ie; before or after the father's death, some certainly could have been prior to)

Balmain Bob said:
Mc Hale, (PT73) ,
dont give too many more clues. I have spent a few hours on this and may be close to the answer. or not.

Hey Bob,
Not sure if McHale was a stab at the answer, as McHale is an Irish surname and there would have no doubt been a few McHales bound for Sydney town on the first couple of boats I'd say. If so, McHale is not the answer....on the other hand, if you are calling me a McHale I suppose I will take that as a compliment. lol

I was only a young whipper snapper at the time. An old family friend used to reference that show all the time. To be called a McHale does have another meaning, but might get me banned if I post the definition or link!

lol

Been a bit quiet the last couple of days around here. As this is my first go at this I am concerned I have made this a tad hard? Before I head out for the day I will leave some more clues....

Like my father, I too share the honour of being the first to do something. While my father and I are unquestionably related, our achievements are most definitely not.

Mate ,
I been out helping the old bloke that Im looking after celebrate his 83rd birthday. As he is only allowed 3 schooners a day we decided to celebrate his birthday at the local pub over 3 days. That way when his mates want to buy him a beer they can and he will be able to drink it with them.

I have also been building a new computer so haven't had time to follow this up but today I will have a bit of time .

Bob

PT73 said:
Been a bit quiet the last couple of days around here. As this is my first go at this I am concerned I have made this a tad hard? Before I head out for the day I will leave some more clues....

Like my father, I too share the honour of being the first to do something. While my father and I are unquestionably related, our achievements are most definitely not.

Questions need to be hard. Otherwise there is no challenge in finding the answer :D

Latest posts