Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gt gets the prize, feral pigs were first introduced by Cook on Bruny Island, Tasmania and then he also released a few at Cooktown when he was repairing the Endeavour. It was a goodwill gesture from Cook to possibly help future shipwrecked sailors. Today they are pursued by hunters Australia wide and cause hundreds of millions of dollars damage to crops and pastures. Millions of dollars are spent annually trying to eradicate their numbers but they continue to spread.

It's interesting to note that the first pigs released at Cooktown have reverted back to their wild genes further than later releases. The Cape York boars have some of the biggest tusks and the meanest dispositions plus they have a fondness for carrion that is not shared by pigs from a lot of other areas.

Go your hardest GT.

Your right its getting hard for a new idea but lets try this one.

What and where was I ?

A young fella named Will was my first followed by 5 others before I was closed and was relocated.

Lets hope this starts to test a few of you. Sing out if you need another clue.

GT :)

Obviously Google proof so far.

Clue 1

A young fella named Will was my first followed by 5 others before I was closed and was relocated.

Clue 2

When I was moved it wasn't far. A few city blocks. I am in Victoria.

greencheeks77 said:
Melbourne Museum ;)

No mate but the right town !!

Clue 1

Clue 2

When I was moved it wasn't far. A few city blocks. I am in Victoria.

Clue 3

When I was moved it was only one year later. My new site was far greater.

A well concealed question, I worked through schools, jails, hospitals and asylums, but the answer is as follows:

Willie, the child of James Goodman was the first person to buried in Melbourne, Port Phillip District. He was buried on 13th May 1836 at Burial Hill, todays Flagstaff Gardens. According to the reference I have, this site was only used for about 6 burials.

The Old Melbourne Cemetery was established in 1837 in West Melbourne, where the markets are now. The first person to be buried on this site was also a child. He was Frederick William Craig, the infant son of Skene Craig. As Melbourne grew, this site was recognised as being too small and the Melbourne General Cemetery (or new Cemetery), that we know today, in Carlton, was established by an act of the New South Wales parliament in 1850 and was opened on 1st June 1853.

I spent 10 minutes reading through the Cemeteries site looking for clues.
Only thing I did not do was research the history. LOL

Good question.

Had me stumped.
I was looking for places where kids may have been accidentally killed, like on a fairground ride and after the 6th death they closed the park and moved it.

Doc you are pretty much on the money. All you need to do is tell me where it was.
It was indeed the first official "Old Melbourne Cemetery" in 1836 and it moved from "The address I seek" to where the Vic Markets are now on ten acres just under a year later in Peel st. It remained the "Old Melbourne Cemetery" until it moved to Carlton and became Melbourne General cemetery in 1853. The bodies were exhumed and moved.
The original site was called Flagstaff hill or Burial Hill.
Infact I read an old book once on John Batman and he depicts the story that the original and first burials were on the corners of Collins and Elizabeth streets in 1835.
This was the year of his arrival and a few others comprising the first settlement , this was a year earlier, but that would of confused things and certainly not be able to googled.

Quite a few blocks from the address I seek DOC. Its your go anyway if you cant find the address either way !!

It was on Flagstaff hill / Burial hill bound by William, La Trobe, King and Dudley streets.

Over to you doc

Some might know this if they have read a certain book, and the answer is Googleable, if you enter the right search terms. But I'll give a little clue first, with more to come if no-one gets it.

I was a famous outback pioneer. Who was I and what was my first horse's name?

You've got it, Bob. Idreiss's book the Cattle King is about him, and I read it many times when I was a boy, and remembered the story about him buying the horse from a Chinaman who said "he no lookee too good" which Sid misinterpreted. Of course Sid has been in the news lately with the proposal to sell the current day Kidman properties to the Chinese.

Over to you!

I am regarded as the first woman to do this. I was born in 1860 but not here in Australia

At the start there were 2 of us but my friend became ill and died. I continued on with my Husband and four other men

Who am I and what did I do first?

Latest posts