Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bingo Chewy! Christina Mc Pherson, daughter of a sheep and cattle farmer from near Winton in Qld, played it on an autoharp while Banjo Patterson was at the place in 1895. it was the melody of "The Craigelee March'"..a tune she had memorized when she had heard it at a race meeting.. Banjo apparently thought it needed some lyrics and the rest is history...you can go to wikileaks and its all there.. well done mate... i thought i had an iron clad case there for a while... but you picked the lock :)
very well done and over to you

Ok I think I have 1... (Thankyou book). Who am I? Born in the USA between 1823 and 1827 (conflicting records), buried 22nd September 1877 in Ararat after dying several weeks earlier from brain tumors. In late May of 1854 I discovered gold at Pinkey point after having no luck at Pleasant creek. This was the 1st discovery in this area. In order to cash in on the remuneration fee off 100 to each man on my team who helped me, I had to prove my case to Parliament, which took place on the 5th may 1863. This was complicated by Richard Davis also known as "Black Harry" an American Negro who claimed to have found Blackmans lead before my teams discovery. However I proved my case by producing receipts I had kept from Mr Chrisp (Manager of Burrumbeep station) for supplies purchased. Also my prospectors licence which was only for 3 months was to expire 9th of July 1854. This proved our case. The 1st strike of gold was only 12 oz, but lead to bigger things. :rolleyes:

Could it be J P Rodd ? He and Black Harry were supposed to be partners on Blackmans or so I have read.

GT :)

I had a sense of humor and was a musician.
Also did a small bit of acting and appeared on many
TV shows.
I was in one of Australia's favorite Bands pounding
out hit after hit.
Who was I and the name of the Band. ?

Shirl and the Hooks is correct. LOL
One of Australia's iconic Bands.
Well Done.
I knew the pounding part would give most of it away. :D
From Juke Box in Siberia.

Thanks mate

Love the hooks saw them many times as a younger lad in the 70's.

Same theme

I am an inanimate thing that weighed 12lb.

easy one.

Dunno the name of it but was found with a GPX5000 at Ballarat ?
On a side note knew Graeme (Shirl) as was also getting my pilots licence at the time when he died on his pre test chopper flight ........................... very sad day and still missed. Living in the seventies

Bogger said:
Dunno the name of it but was found with a GPX5000 at Ballarat ?
On a side note knew Graeme (Shirl) as was also getting my pilots licence at the time when he died on his pre test chopper flight ........................... very sad day and still missed. Living in the seventies

Sorry Bogger not even close mate. My question has followed on with the music theme.

Yes mate sad about shirl, he was great in the Hooks.

That'd be Madder Lake's 12 lb toothbrush, GT.

Good obscure question about a prog rock band from back in the day!

Apparently they are still around, at least with a few of the original members, and released an album in 2013.

DrDuck said:
That'd be Madder Lake's 12 lb toothbrush, GT.

Good obscure question about a prog rock band from back in the day!

Apparently they are still around, at least with a few of the original members, and released an album in 2013.

Now that was the theme song for the skinheads ................. :rolleyes:

nah nah nah nunna na nah nah nunna na na nah na LOL

Spot on as usual Doc, love that song

Your go mate

Had to think about this one, as I wanted a question that continued the loose theme of Australian music, well sort of, anyway.

Anyway, this gritty film was directed by a cult Australian musician, who as a musician probably had more success overseas than in Australia. The film was, however, thoroughly Australian.

Latest posts