Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jimmy Matthews was a small, leathery, but remarkably tough legspinner whose place in cricket history was secured when he took a hat-trick in each innings of the Old Trafford Test against South Africa during the ill-fated 1912 Trinagular Tournament. Both feats came on the same day, and were his only wickets in the game. That particularly wet year was a good one for Matthews - he took 85 wickets at 19.37. He had only made his Test debut the previous winter, doing enough in the last three Tests against England to win selection for the tour. In all, he played more games on the 1912 tour (28) than he did in his entire first-class career in Australia. He did not resume playing after the war, even though he was still comparatively young, and for many years was curator at Williamstown.

if your talking about a hat trick and a double hat trick , hes not the only one and the curcumstances aren't what Id call unusual unless it was the drinking with the spectators on the boundary LOL

You got me Doc I surrender mate !!!

Balmain bob gets it. Trott achieved the rare distinction of taking two hat tricks in the same innings, which is the only time an Australian has done it. However, the first hat trick was a double hat trick - 4 wickets in a row. Trott is the only first class cricketer to achieve that feat. The unusual circumstances were that he was an Australian test cricketer but was playing county cricket in England in an attempt to qualify to play test cricket for the poms.

GT was close, but I'll give it to Bob because he had just about all of the story.

I'll edit in a link when I'm in front of the computer.

In Keeping with the sports theme sort of

I represented my country in 3 different sports before I entered politics after my sporting career finised

Who am I?

Its not Snowy Baker

Well done DrDuck

Yes it was Mike Cleary.
He entered the NSW Legislative Assembly back in 1974 after he finished his Rugby league career. He became Minister for sport and Recreation and Tourism in the Wran Government and latter the Minister for Racing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Cleary_(rugby)

I remember meeting him as a Kid on a school excursion to the State Parliament House .

Over to you DrDuck

It's certainly getting hard to think of new questions.

I was a controversial politician who went on to found a notorious newspaper. One of my nicknames was the town of my birth.

As usual, clues will be forthcoming.

Close, very close, Bob,

My reference has the bloke I'm thinking of as the founder of the Truth, and for a time running it as a one man show. Other references have Willis as the publisher. The fellow I am thinking of is certainly closely associated with the rag, and also appears to have a street named after him in Balmain.

Latest posts