Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Australian women were not allowed to fly until 1927

It was Florence Taylor and Emma Shultz who first flew a glider from Narrabeen beach in 1909.

Vote?
was actually thinking that 2 women were 1st to do something in Australian parliament?
They probably were allowed to vote in parliament, but not outside of the parliament?

I just spent 30 min composing/thinkin of a question, then I pressed the NEW POST instead of submit didnt I ..... what a dill!

Back again shortly!!!

A staunch republican and recommending himself as as a trained surgeon, he arrived in Sydney from Burmingham in the 1790's. He tried his hand at boat building, fishing and also producing salt for the colony.

In 1796 he tried his hand at something else. Something that that no one else had done in Australia before.

Who was this bloke and what did he do?

goldtruck59 said:
possibly John White and his distillation of the eucalypt ?

Nope ... but a couple of similarities there I see - arrived around the same time in the 1790's and was a surgeon to boot! And John White distilled eucalypts - wow!

Gday Rotor.
The bloke that you are looking for is John Boston.

In 1796 he brewed the first beer in the Colony on Bennalong Point . Some people claim that it was James Squires that did this but they are wrong. James brewed his first beers in 1798.

John Boston was a jack-of-all-trades and a master of none.
He crafted Australias first beer in 1796 using corn bittered with love-apple stalks at his mill on Bennelong Point.
Initial excitement quickly turned sour after the guards in Old Sydney Town tasted the drop.

Boston tried his hands at many other things republican, apothecary, trained surgeon and salt maker. Unable to
provide any other value to the colony he departed our shores, but soon came to an end at the hands of the hungry
cannibals on an island in the South Pacific.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Boston

http://www.johnboston.com.au/

cheers

Bob

Well done Bob, right you are!

Yes he seems to have been a bit of a hard case!

Didn't find the second link - that would have made making the Q a bit easier!

Back to you :)

I was born in NSW in the 1830's near Campbelltown and attended school there.

Although I was suspected of stock theft in the 1840s it want until the mid 1850s that I received my first stretch in gaol.

Upon my release from gaol I was now known as Down the River Jack and worked as a station hand a breaker

I stole the prize horse belonging to the squatter and fled the the western slopes of NSW.

From here I committed several robbery under arms offences and had a reward of 200 pound placed on my head.

In June 1864 the reward was increased to 1000 pound after I shot and killed 2 people in 5 days.

In March 1885 with the passing of the Felons Apprehension Act I was declared and outlaw.

Who am I better known as ?

Mad dog Morgan, or John Fuller, or Dan Morgan, all the same person.
Love bushranger history, think there is some connection with Banjo Patterson as well.

Ok, harder one this time.....

at the age of 9, I was employed by the Forsythe family at their Bells creek store. By 14, I had my own lease, and struck it rich!
In 1871, I was naturalised and married a Braidwood school teacher. Later, I moved to Sydney, became the unofficial Chinese Consul.

Who am I, and what was it I did on the Braidwood gold fields that kept it pretty free of racisim against the Chinese diggers?

Latest posts