Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Clue 5

The amazing Brine shrimp that can lay dormant for years made me very attractive after the cyclones effect

Ok well obviously this too hard or no ones playing, so I will try to give it away more quickly

Clue 6

Banded Stilts will only nest on salt lakes and their young will only rear on Brine Shrimp. That is the end of clues for why I am famous for the first reason eluded to in an earlier question.( the world looked on as I flooded and was filmed and viewed world wide)

The other reason I am noted is because of quite a few well placed arty metal figures set up in the early 2000's.

That should do it.

GT

Woohoo good on ya Bob.

We went to Lake Ballard a few years ago en route to Meeka from Menzies the back way on a WA gold trip.
Silly bloody statues was the reason the missus had to walk around this remote salt pan. Still it was peaceful and a very serene setting. Some people are weird as to their idea of art, but each to their own.

Over to you Bob
GT :)

Who am I?

I was born in Granville in 1924

In 1942 I joined the Civil Construction Corps and spent the rest of the war working as a blacksmith in the Norther Territory

Next Clue.

During the weekend and off duty hours I would study the reptiles and wild life around the bases. After the war I supported myself for 18 months or so by writing articles for magazines on the natural history and way of life in the Territory. I also collected animal specimens for museums and zoos world wide.

I think that would be Eric Worrell, I hate snakes and reptiles, but this guy !! geez, he even died in reptile village. Yuk

If I am right Bob, please go again mate.

GT :)

Well done goldtruck.

http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/worrell-eric-arthur-frederic-15631

I remember as a kid going up to Gosford many times to the old Reptile Park. I remember on one trip I thought that it would be a good idea while hand feeding the possums in the nocturnal house to have one get on my shoulder. I learnt very quickly that they have sharp claws and had the deep scratches in the shoulder to prove it.

Ok Gt I will have another go.

I just got home from golf so will post another question in a few hours

cheers

Bob

Was it films about bushrangers?
Because the governments at the time thought the films glorified crime?

Mate, was it the ban on films about bushrangers?

Following the success of the Story of the Kelly Gang in 1906, films about bushrangers had become very popular, and governments were worried that they may be a bad influence on the populace.

Edit - beat me by one minute!

Gday Davent
Yeah mate you have it

Thought that the question might be too easy.

http://www.australia.gov.au/about-australia/australian-story/film-in-australia

It is a real shame that this happened. I believe that our Bushranging History if far better than the of the Wild West in the USA.

There are some great stories to be found of what went on during the gold rush and the during the 1800s

You only have to go back through these posts here to read about some fascinating tales that are virtually unknown to most Aussies

Well done and over to you

cheers

Bob

I remember as a kid, (we lived in canberra for a few years) dad used to stop at the bushranger hotel at Collector, and have a beer at the grave site out the back, it was a constable who was shot by by one of Ben Hall's gang in the 1860,s.

I was Christened "Port Darwin" in 1887, although Came from Philadelphia originally in 1886. I worked hard until 1950. Any idea what I am?

Ive had many a beer over the years at the pub in Collector on the way to or from Canberra. The memorial at the back of the pub is where Constable Samuel Nelson was shot by John Dunn.

Constable Nelson is buried in the Collector Cemetery in Bourke St over near the Police Station.

Cheers

Bob

Tathradj has got it.
Old steam train that took the NT into the modern 1860, s 70, s!

Latest posts