Australian History

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Cowra Japanese PoW break out in which just over 1100 prisoners attempted to escape, the largest prison escape of World War II. The subsequent man hunt resulted in 234 Japanese and 3 Australians deaths. However, it is reported that many of the dead had committed suicide or been killed by other prisoners.

The Peacekeeper

You got it PK.
I'm reading a book about it at the moment called "Die like the carp" by Harry Gordon.

They planned to over run a nearby training camp and capture their weapons.

Your go!

Thanks backcreek, that one took a lot of thinking...lucky I enjoy thinking....I remembered reading about it in one of my Australian non fiction books and obviously from modern history at school.

I will post a Q? tomorrow, my brain and I are going to sleep now.

The Peacekeeper.

Apologies for the short delay with the next question, started off with a quick wheel balance which turned into a full all wheels alignment and two new front tyres on the Disco....It never ends does it.....

Ok, here are the first clues:

1. My father was a Boer War Veteran who enlisted as a Private but later promoted Lieutenant. He was wounded several times however, this did not stop him from signing up again for World War I when he served as a Field Artillery Officer. He survived the Great War and then at the outbreak of World War II, he tried to join the fight again but was not accepted.

2. I was a child of The Great Depression and was the youngest of my four siblings;- one brother & three sisters. When I was six years old, I accidentally chopped off one of my sister's thumbs with one of my fathers Kelly axes that were used to cut up sheep carcasses. In a panic, I threw the severed appendage into the bush and my sister became a left-hander there after.

3. I was apprenticed as a mechanic and worked for a short time in Brisbane before moving further north and onto bigger and better things.

The Peacekeeper

AAAH HULLO!...ANY BODY HERE!...PEACEKEEPER1966....HULLO...cheeez!..looks like his off peacekeep'n, guess i'll have to wait for the duration! :p

Ahh Reefer, sorry old chap! Not Sir Jo, but what a bloody character he was!

Ok, back to business.

4. My move further north with work exposed me to adventure even though I ended up settling in Perth in the early 1950's.

5. After settling down in Perth, I married and set about establishing a successful crane hire business.

6. I enjoyed hunting, fishing and golf and was a very competitive rifle shot.

7. In 1955 I set out on a journey that took me all the way to the Gulf of Carpentaria.

The Peacekeeper

Have not been playing this game for a while, but this is a cracker of a question and has me interested again. So far no easy combination of terms results in a successful google search!

DrDuck said:
Have not been playing this game for a while, but this is a cracker of a question and has me interested again. So far no easy combination of terms results in a successful google search!

I agree Doc. If I am correct this guy completed an amazing trek with his wife and sister to the Gulf. Bush know how and an ability to kill and skin crocodiles were highlights. He made a great film about his adventure to the gulf as an amateur film maker. I bought it years ago. Its called Northern Safari.
Keith F Adams.
The star was Tiger his dog.

Well done that man! Keith Flexmore Adams is the fellow and Tiger was fearless.

My father took me to see the film in Taree when I was about 5 years old and it stuck fast in my memory, especially the theme song, "Goin' north on a northern safari".

A few years back, I was talking about the film with someone and to my amazement, it was available on DVD. Keith has also written a book entitled Crocodile Safari Man that he published in 2000.

I have just checked and you can still get them at his website <http://northernsafari.com/about/> . The book is his bio and a great yarn and he goes into how he made the film and showed it him self all over Australia and internationally as well.

The book and DVD are selling for $30 bucks and the copy I got has been signed by Keith in the fly-leaf, nice touch I thought.

Thanks goldtruck59, you have the floor.

The Peacekeeper.

Latest posts