XP Deus WS4 or WS5 headphones?

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Goldpick

Chris Johnson
Reaction score
For those that already own the WS4 or WS5 headphones on the Deus, what are your experiences with them with regards to comfort (already clued up on the advantages of the remote on the WS4)? Bit of a hard decision over the sound isolation/comfort benefits of the WS5 vs the ability to run a second detector and the portability of the WS4 remote (plus still be able to use the detector should the main control box be sent away for repairs). Thanks guys. :)

Goldpick said:
For those that already own the WS4 or WS5 headphones on the Deus, what are your experiences with them with regards to comfort (already clued up on the advantages of the remote on the WS4)? Bit of a hard decision over the sound isolation/comfort benefits of the WS5 vs the ability to run a second detector and the portability of the WS4 remote (plus still be able to use the detector should the main control box be sent away for repairs). Thanks guys. :)

I own the WS4, Grayghosts and another brand.

My opinion - get the WS4 then get the Gray Ghost Headphones for it or buy the headphone bracket and wire your own
with your favorite pair of headphones.

Clip_jack_web.jpg

HeadhunterXP.jpg

I find the Gray Ghosts more comfortable.

I hope I have inspired you in buying one. You can't go wrong with it and its good value.

The next software update is due soon. Coil wise stick with the 9".

If you get yourself another shaft and coil you will have another detector for your detecting partner.

My apoligy about the rant.

Hope this helps.

That's fine Wolf, I looked at a few reviews on the Grey Ghosts and they didn't come back too good on the comfort side of things, though will differ from person to person. Your setup with the Grey Ghosts and WS4 has much more flexibilty and setup options. If the WS5 screws up, you are stuck with an expensive piece of kit to repair vs the cheap WS4 backphone replacements.

I've been mulling over a detector purchase for a while now to compliment my Explorer for difficult to detect areas (namely iron ridden spots), and something that was a bit future proof without going over board on the $$$. I have no real allegence to any specific brand, so always keen to try something new from other manufacturers, just as you have.

I Did consider an Etrac, but it's just too close in lineage to the Explorer to consider having both, and possibly end up with the same issues on certain sites. The CTX is just too many $$$ for me to swallow for a coin/ relic detector, plus the fact I don't beach detect any more is another deciding factor. The Deus sits nicely priced for even less that the Etrac through a deal I am currently trying to organise.

Will probably start with the 9" and upgrade later on to the 11" should I feel the need. :)

I own the chef phones and these are a bargain.

You may want to give these some extra padding where
They rest on your head though.

Tones are different between both.

I have sold most of my detectors as I eagerly wait to see what
Fisher introduces.

Whatever you buy though make sure you have iron volume with
Fast target separation.

What the Deus needs in my opinion is a small elliptical coil but
Detecting with one is easy to use.

Goldpick said:
That's fine Wolf, I looked at a few reviews on the Grey Ghosts and they didn't come back too good on the comfort side of things, though will differ from person to person. Your setup with the Grey Ghosts and WS4 has much more flexibilty and setup options. If the WS5 screws up, you are stuck with an expensive piece of kit to repair vs the cheap WS4 backphone replacements.

I've been mulling over a detector purchase for a while now to compliment my Explorer for difficult to detect areas (namely iron ridden spots), and something that was a bit future proof without going over board on the $$$. I have no real allegence to any specific brand, so always keen to try something new from other manufacturers, just as you have.

I Did consider an Etrac, but it's just too close in lineage to the Explorer to consider having both, and possibly end up with the same issues on certain sites. The CTX is just too many $$$ for me to swallow for a coin/ relic detector, plus the fact I don't beach detect any more is another deciding factor. The Deus sits nicely priced for even less that the Etrac through a deal I am currently trying to organise.

Will probably start with the 9" and upgrade later on to the 11" should I feel the need. :)

hey goldpick i had the ctx for a yr and i believe i mastered it i spend everyday learning what i could about it and i was very dissapointed with it .not only was it very heavy and nearly broke my arm off after 1 hr of use it was incredibly slow to use like even with its faster recovery speed it is still to slow to recommend anyone swinging such a heavy machine at the 4 second slow pace that is recommended for it to pick up targets and i literally tested its recovery speed with 4 coins spaced out and if i went faster than a 3 second swing each way it would miss coins and that was dissapointing .

but not only that the ctx has a square gasket at the back now anyone who knows anything about water proofing knows you never ever ever use a gasket for something that is going to be removed constantly because everytime you pull the battery pack off the gasket will slighty move and then its water proofness cant be guaranteed this was a major design flaw by minelab and i work with people who water proof all sorts of things and yeh this explains why so many people are returning thier ctxs with water getting into the battery pack because normal people dont even know what reseating a gasket means let alone how to test it with water pressure testers .

i found myself missing alot of good targets with the ctx and my arm would kill me after a short time .

if you get the deus you wont be dissapointed the only thing i wish the deus had was more accurate targets ids but like you said its better to learn by ear and become a master of the machine .i was a huge minelab supporter for many yrs but the FBS technology is just not fast enough yet and the price of the detector well lets just say give me $800 and i could make a ctx wouldnt be very hard at all .accept for the micro circuitry .this is what i just dont understand how can minelab charge $2700 for a machine that is worth no where near that and the gpz7000 well you just know that thing is way overpriced .i used to love minelab but not when they are taking advantaged of customers who know nothing about electronics .im really sad minelab is taking this (lets just overprice everything approach because we are minelab) approach .

im glad i got the deus and i wont be looking back .FBS to dam slow and no good in trash .

Goldpick said:

also if i was you gold pick get the 11inch the 9inch is good but the 11inch will get you more depth and you will still have good target seperation running the deus in reactivity 3 in trashy sites .

Latest posts