Heritage Listed Location Victoria

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

just wondering if it's legal to detect in a Heritage Listed Location??

Thanks for any input

Sorry Vic
It's a National Park i looked up the National Park and it's on a list that can be detected in but when i looked up the old mine site it said it was a Heritage Listed Location so i thought i would ask on this forum as i'm only new to detecting so thought i'd ask experienced and more knowledgeable people then myself and most certainly not interested in breaking the Law . Thanks for any Helpful info.
Thanks

hi all , new to the site , thought id chuck my two cents worth in here , right out of the mine managers mouth who ive had at my place on a few occasions , its not illegal to prospect heritage areas i/e walhalla , its illegal to dig up any heritage items , u can go there and look for coins new or old , u can dig old gold mining equipment i/e old spades picks anything like that , what u cant do is dig anything of a permanent nature listed as heritage , or if you find something i/e old building structres(buried) mining sites structures(listed) pretty much anything marked out on a map , u cant dig , its there for public use and enjoyment anything u do to stop anyone enjoying or not being safe in the area i/e (digging holes not filling them)is dangerous is a big NO NO , i no ive left a big gap for someone to come in and say blah blah but if you read my first line and a half , been there done that !

Aheritage area only means there are heritage sites in the area not the whole area is heritage , lets clear that 1 up i/e , You can make a big rock pool with rocks for kids to swim in , u can even dig the rocks with a shovel(filling the hole) but dont you dare look for any mineral in that dirt , OMG THE LAW ! Public use and enjoyment are the key words , but then again i can show you a government gazette stating mining to be a public use aswell !