G'day from Hoddles Creek

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
golddiggerart said:
Jaros said:
It's a no go for the creek as it is a tributary of the Yarra River.
"Yarra River and tributaries above its junction with the Plenty River" are no go or on the Exempt List.
Hoddles Creek is a tributary to the Yarra.
Looks like you can use a metal detector though. :(

Hoddles is fine and not on the exempt list, I've been going there for many years :Y:

Any creek that is a tributary of the Yarra River located above the junction of Plenty River, it is an exempt creek and a no-no.

1610681526_exempt_creeks.jpg

Cheers,
Megsy

But what is a "tributary" no one can gave an answer to the meaning of that one word. As it can be many links deep or 1 deep there no clear wording on what a tributary is.

Can rattle a few examples of creeks, rivers that technically are tributary under the true meaning of tributary that should be no go but when you ring about them you are told go for it..

A tributary is a freshwater stream that feeds into a larger stream or river. The larger, or parent, river is called the mainstem. The point where a tributary meets the mainstem is called the confluence. Tributaries, also called affluents, do not flow directly into the ocean.

Swinging & digging said:
A tributary is a freshwater stream that feeds into a larger stream or river. The larger, or parent, river is called the mainstem. The point where a tributary meets the mainstem is called the confluence. Tributaries, also called affluents, do not flow directly into the ocean.

Yep that the true meaning of it BUT here where it gets interesting lets take cooper ck walhalla for an example THAT is clearly a tributary of the Thomson River tributary system as it runs straight into it and the list has "Thomson River Tributary of La Trobe River" on it. BUT when you ring the various bodies eg parks dept etc they all say it okay to hit.

Hence why there the confusion re what a tributary is and not and half the reason these ??? mark rivers get hit as there conflicting information and advise and the loose meaning of what a tributary is?? and how many chains deep.

where the nugget said:
Swinging & digging said:

Yep that the true meaning of it BUT here where it gets interesting lets take cooper ck walhalla for an example THAT is clearly a tributary of the Thomson River tributary system as it runs straight into it and the list has "Thomson River Tributary of La Trobe River" on it. BUT when you ring the various bodies eg parks dept etc they all say it okay to hit.

Hence why there the confusion re what a tributary is and not and half the reason these ??? mark rivers get hit as there conflicting information and advise and the loose meaning of what a tributary is?? and how many chains deep.

That's saying that you specifically can't prospect on the Thompson River, that's a tributary of the LaTrobe River. Coopers Creek is a tributary of the Thompson River, and it's not on the exempt list, so it's ok to go there.

Cheers,
Megsy

Gday again RM Outback, Jaros & Mackka!! Yes sorry has been a while ? I drop in and out randomly to check my inbox, but dont get to see the posts too often. If anyone wants to keep in contact more often, and they use facebook/messenger, PM me and ill send you my details

As for legalities on local creeks.. By the way things are currently going with tourism plans, all you need is a mountainbike under your wing, and it seems you can get away with anything. They are also about to flaunt what were quiet forest regions for tourism. 7Mate has no issue telling people to dig the Yarra on The Weekend Prospector show to millions of viewers, so quite honestly, if they are up for attempting to fine someone, they may want to look into thier own damages, tourism damages, development and the ongoing logging of all tributaries of the yarra. Fill your holes, don't trash the joint, enjoy the hobby.

Things have changed here Jaros, bigtime. The laws prevent corporations from mining it all, but as for people.. theres shops selling pans here now and they are about to slap down info signs in the hills with the mountain bike tracks, exposing the heritage sites. Theyve specifically targeted sensitive areas that are meant to have protection, but as millions of dollars and advertising companies such as Red Bull back it all, they can basically go wherever they please, absolutely devistating the hills with 180+ kilometers of new track they will bobcat out. Now thatll cause erosion, not a couple prospectors

Great to hear from you Art. We miss you and I mean that mate. You have always made honest and truthful input to the rest of us. You're a very knowledgeable man who will help any body.
Are you still out there like a lot of us(except me).
No need to reply as your time is your own.
Happy New Year and happy wandering.
Jaros/Carolyn/Nelson. :)

AtomRat said:
Gday again RM Outback, Jaros & Mackka!! Yes sorry has been a while ? I drop in and out randomly to check my inbox, but dont get to see the posts too often. If anyone wants to keep in contact more often, and they use facebook/messenger, PM me and ill send you my details

As for legalities on local creeks.. By the way things are currently going with tourism plans, all you need is a mountainbike under your wing, and it seems you can get away with anything. They are also about to flaunt what were quiet forest regions for tourism. 7Mate has no issue telling people to dig the Yarra on The Weekend Prospector show to millions of viewers, so quite honestly, if they are up for attempting to fine someone, they may want to look into thier own damages, tourism damages, development and the ongoing logging of all tributaries of the yarra. Fill your holes, don't trash the joint, enjoy the hobby.

Things have changed here Jaros, bigtime. The laws prevent corporations from mining it all, but as for people.. theres shops selling pans here now and they are about to slap down info signs in the hills with the mountain bike tracks, exposing the heritage sites. Theyve specifically targeted sensitive areas that are meant to have protection, but as millions of dollars and advertising companies such as Red Bull back it all, they can basically go wherever they please, absolutely devistating the hills with 180+ kilometers of new track they will bobcat out. Now thatll cause erosion, not a couple prospectors
Mountain Bikers seem to be the new "in" minority group for getting things for their hobby at the moment. We've got talk of mountain biking trails being put into a National Park heritage area here ATM too.
Last couple of submissions I've put in for NSW access have come back showing a large number of mountain bike enthusiasts submissions. They seem to be a very organised & a willing to lobby group for better access/areas.
Unlike prospectors/fossickers unfortunately who tend to leave it to somebody else or rely on associations to do all the work. When things don't go our way we then tend to whinge about it on forums rather than approach it through the right channels.
Not saying that's true in your case/area AtomRat - more of a general observation.

One thing I will say is don't fall into the trap of thinking "if it's ok for them, it's ok for us" or rely on bringing up Government Department or other groups indiscretions as defense for your own actions. Simply put it won't work. If caught for prospecting/fossicking where you shouldn't be, argue the point & then get subsequently fined/charged then you'll be fined/charged under the relevant Mining Legislation. Other unrelated activities will hold little defense for you & trying to argue the point will likely prove costly.

Trying to argue "but sir they're allowed to do......" or "the bloke on TV said...." won't hold any water IMO.

hi guys just read all posts l'm interested in teaming up with a partner to explore any areas where that yellow stuff is to be found. as a healthy fit retired guy with a new GPZ 7000 l and an off road caravan "have gun will travel" cheers all

G'day Gravity! Sure would like to learn myself a bit more on the area over there. I've gone through Shiprock Falls / Kirth Kiln ( still yet to find a tin mine out there ) and a little in Gembrook but with little luck at both so far.

I'm open to meeting new people, I'd say we could catch up this weekend but am heading up to Castlemaine again. Maybe during the week or next weekend? Can go for a dig over in the area you are looking into if you like as well

Feel free to PM me for more info and contact
Have you managed to find tin mine as yet? I know of some mines that I have not yet gone into at the bottom of ship rock. PM me if you would like to know more.

Latest posts