G'day from Hoddles Creek

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I live in hoddles creek
I am a real novice and thought I would join up to find out more about the history of findings in and around hoddles creek.
There seems to be limited info available.
Any pointers? :)

Hi Kathy welcome to the forum. Have abrowse through some of the info under the gold maps, and gold resources headings. Also try a search on trove, which is a free to use archive site with Vic state library, and newspaper records and other types of records to. Geovic is a great resource also but takes a bit of getting use to using, it's a free govt website. :)

Hi Kathy, I've been digging and studying a lot of hoddles creek, its reserves and diggings all over for a few years now. Also know many other diggings locally and I am a member at the local lapidary club at Yarra Junction behind the oval. I can give you a fair bit of info, it is a very dangerous area so I wouldn't recommend too many expeditions without thoroughly knowing the area. Many deep shafts are very close by.

There are also many hidden landmarks that not many people know of around the area such as tunnels, crushing plants and old townships locations.

Feel free to ask me questions or if you would like to meet for a chat.

Stix.

Sounds awesome. Would love to know more.
A friend said a land owner fell in a shaft in the area but they are unsure where.
I believe mapping of these shafts are non existant due to chinese not record keeping their finds. Not sure if correct.
I'm very fascinated by the history of it

Supposibly the Miner Surveyor's house which was located nearby was burnt in the fires, but there's always information about here and there and some documents saved. I have not seen many, but have discovered some pages in books at garage sales in Launch! Many Chinese diggings are not listed for the area but signs can be seen of where they were, mostly by the shape of the shaft that has been dug is a giveaway here.

I haven't heard of an owner going into a shaft yet but Gembrook Rd is very prone to collapse due to tunnels and diggings under the road, it will probably be fixed up in the near future as the population sadly increases here. I have heard of many cattle being hoisted from local shafts however. Lack of fencing, signs or warnings make it a dangerous area. Some large shafts and mines in Wesburn and Warburton are covered and safe with mesh and doors, but from Warrandyte to Thomson Dam are many unlisted deep shafts and so on.

Feel free to write down my number xxxxxxxxxx and write a msg / call. I take my children and partner digging around some areas local and they love it, as long as its a warm day that is..

Glad to share some local info as not many have an interest for our area out here and its mining, minerals and gemstones.

Edit: No private no's allowed to be displayed--plse PM or Email.

AtomRat said:
Supposibly the Miner Surveyor's house which was located nearby was burnt in the fires, but there's always information about here and there and some documents saved. I have not seen many, but have discovered some pages in books at garage sales in Launch! Many Chinese diggings are not listed for the area but signs can be seen of where they were, mostly by the shape of the shaft that has been dug is a giveaway here.

I haven't heard of an owner going into a shaft yet but Gembrook Rd is very prone to collapse due to tunnels and diggings under the road, it will probably be fixed up in the near future as the population sadly increases here. I have heard of many cattle being hoisted from local shafts however. Lack of fencing, signs or warnings make it a dangerous area. Some large shafts and mines in Wesburn and Warburton are covered and safe with mesh and doors, but from Warrandyte to Thomson Dam are many unlisted deep shafts and so on.

Feel free to write down my number xxxxxxxxxx and write a msg / call. I take my children and partner digging around some areas local and they love it, as long as its a warm day that is..

Glad to share some local info as not many have an interest for our area out here and its mining, minerals and gemstones.

Edit: No private no's allowed to be displayed--plse PM or Email.

Thanks atom bomb :D :D
Would be great if we could catch up. Met a few fellow prospectors recently. Been a great helpful bunch so far :D
Will message you soon

I forgot about the privacy stuff on here.. To write a PM or private message on this forum you need to make to posts. If you'd like contact faster you can email me if you missed my phone number.

What area of Hoddles Creek are you roughly near, Launch fruit shed or more Prices / Thonemans?

Hey good reading guy's , I live in Mt Evelyn so not far awayWouldn't mind joining you for a day out and learning a little about the area.
Also looking at some local history around Gembrook and Emerald where gold was found but not sure if the area falls just inside Yarra Ranges because prospecting isn't allowed within the shireThere is a spot that falls just outside the boundary but don't know where exactly that is.
Cheers

Yarra RangesHeritage Database
Menzies Creek Gold Diggings Menzies Creek Walking Track,Monbulk

Menzies Creek Gold Diggings have high local significance as part of the "Emerald Goldfields", a place where an early Dandenong Ranges goldfield was opened in 1851 at a time when the first gold finds were made at Warrandyte and Clunes and the rich fields at Ballarat and Buninyong. There was a revival of mining along Menzies Creek during the 1890s and 1930s depressions. A Menzies Creek Walking Track has historical significance as the original route from the Avard Park area (once a mining camp) to the diggings in the Kidd's Bridge area. Traces of gold diggings and remains of a water race are said to be visible along Menzies Creek near the Avard picnic ground.

Description

The Menzies Creek gold diggings covered an extensive area. Part of this area remains within public ownership today, including Butterfield Parks - Kidds Bridge area, and the track from there to Avard Park (however Avard Park is outside the Shire of Yarra Ranges). The Butterfield Reserve area extends along Woori Yallock Creek from its junction with Menzies Creek. It is a small bushland reserve with indigenous vegetation along the creek and some exotic plantings in the picnic area. There is no obvious evidence of mining activities exposed on the surface, however there may be archaeological evidence that survives.

Avard Park is similarly a small reserve with large ash trees (Fraxinus spp.) and a barbecue. There is a row of deciduous trees along the road. This reserve is just outside the Shire boundary. Between the two reserves is a walking track through the dense creek-side vegetation. This track follows the historical track that connected these two areas. There is said to be some evidence of mining visible near Avard picnic ground, however this evidence was not located during the present study.

Physical Conditions: No evidence survives

Integrity: Unable to estimate

(Build 107 (35372) / 25/04/15 ) Terms and Conditions

G'day Gravity! Sure would like to learn myself a bit more on the area over there. I've gone through Shiprock Falls / Kirth Kiln ( still yet to find a tin mine out there ) and a little in Gembrook but with little luck at both so far.

I'm open to meeting new people, I'd say we could catch up this weekend but am heading up to Castlemaine again. Maybe during the week or next weekend? Can go for a dig over in the area you are looking into if you like as well

Feel free to PM me for more info and contact

Cheers AtomRat will do , My trip out to Lake Eildon with a few mates today was cancelled so going out to Frankston beach with my boys instead

Hi guys. I am interested in this area if anyone is interested in catching up and spending a day in the Menzies creek area.

Not exactly sure where we could go, but happy to put some more research in.

If others think it's just not worth the effort, or would rather come and watch the newbie stumble around, please feel free to speak up ?

We recently moved to Hoddles Creek and the creek itself is in my backyard and what appears to be various old diggings on our 40 acres of land, as a complete novis what would be the best starting points, i.e. in the Creek itself or with a gold detector on the property? I have nil equipment sofar.

Keen to learn more on where to start.

Thanks for any help

Frosty

It's a no go for the creek as it is a tributary of the Yarra River.
"Yarra River and tributaries above its junction with the Plenty River" are no go or on the Exempt List.
Hoddles Creek is a tributary to the Yarra.
Looks like you can use a metal detector though. :(

frosty said:
We recently moved to Hoddles Creek and the creek itself is in my backyard and what appears to be various old diggings on our 40 acres of land, as a complete novis what would be the best starting points, i.e. in the Creek itself or with a gold detector on the property? I have nil equipment sofar.

Thanks for any help

Frosty
Hey Frosty,
Id be keen to come and have a look at your diggings and I can bring my detector and show how to use it. Im in Wandin.

frosty said:

Thanks for any help

Frosty

Heya Frosty, PM message or msg my phone

Jaros said:
It's a no go for the creek as it is a tributary of the Yarra River.
"Yarra River and tributaries above its junction with the Plenty River" are no go or on the Exempt List.
Hoddles Creek is a tributary to the Yarra.
Looks like you can use a metal detector though. :(

Hoddles is fine and not on the exempt list, I've been going there for many years :Y:

AtomRat said:
frosty said:

Thanks for any help

Frosty

Heya Frosty, PM message or msg my phone

Hasn't been on since his 1st post AtomRat if you've got his number sounds like you will be better contacting him. All the best for the new year AR :beer:

Latest posts