15" XTERRA all terrain coil question

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been looking at the Coiltek XTerra 15" All Terrain coil as a "i might get one, one day" type thing

there is 3 different frequencies 3khz, 7.5khz & 18.75khz

could someone please explain what the differences are and what would best suit general treasure/relic hunting in parks and beach as according to the coiltek site, they will all work on my xterra 705 gold

once i know which one, i will keep an eye on the for sale section of the forum :lol:

cheers :cool:

Personally I would be investing in small to mid sized DD coil for general park detecting before stepping up to such a large coil, unless you are in super clean ground with not to much junk to deal with, or cherry picking recent drops after events where good coverage can be an advantage. Coverage and depth should be good on the beach, though take into consideration that at 740 grams it will be make your x-terra pretty nose heavy and tiresome to lug around for extended periods. The best all-rounder for both high and low conductive targets should be the 7.5kHz coil, with the 3kHz coil favouring high conductors (silver), and the 18.75kHz is favouring low conductivity targets like gold jewellery where improved sensitivity is also required.

Another coil maybe worth considering as an all-rounder (both from a weight, coverage/target separation perspective), is the Minelab 10.5" 7.5kHz DD coil. This might be a good compromise over wielding a much larger coil.

Also have a look at the NEL range of coils for the x-terras, they are priced pretty well, and have received some good feedback - plenty of sizes to chose from. NEL coils will also be releasing a whole range of coils for the x-terra with switchable frequencies, so no need to buy separate coils for each frequency. Each coil will come with all three frequencies.

http://nel-coils.com/index.php/the-news

Thanks for the info Goldpick, you are right that coil will probably be very heavy on the arm after a while

i might wait and see what the new NEL coils get priced at when released :)

either way im not in a hurry, just getting some research in so if something bobs up at a good price i can grab it

Weaman

Goldpick said:
Personally I would be investing in small to mid sized DD coil for general park detecting before stepping up to such a large coil, unless you are in super clean ground with not to much junk to deal with, or cherry picking recent drops after events where good coverage can be an advantage. Coverage and depth should be good on the beach, though take into consideration that at 740 grams it will be make your x-terra pretty nose heavy and tiresome to lug around for extended periods. The best all-rounder for both high and low conductive targets should be the 7.5kHz coil, with the 3kHz coil favouring high conductors (silver), and the 18.75kHz is favouring low conductivity targets like gold jewellery where improved sensitivity is also required.

Another coil maybe worth considering as an all-rounder (both from a weight, coverage/target separation perspective), is the Minelab 10.5" 7.5kHz DD coil. This might be a good compromise over wielding a much larger coil.

Also have a look at the NEL range of coils for the x-terras, they are priced pretty well, and have received some good feedback - plenty of sizes to chose from. NEL coils will also be releasing a whole range of coils for the x-terra with switchable frequencies, so no need to buy separate coils for each frequency. Each coil will come with all three frequencies.

http://nel-coils.com/index.php/the-news

Great reply Goldpick, and one of those 3 way nels, is my xmas wish list :)

Latest posts