Geovic information and questions

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
any one know how to get geovic to display reef indications like they are displayed on a prospecting map?

+minerals TICK Deep leads & Leads and working detail. Also advice +tenements
Also Recomend +tenements Tick mineral Tick Current Tick license & leases
And +Land status Tick crown land then all crown land is grey. I also do more as this does include national parks.
Under land status & boundrys +Industry related land +mineral Tick resticted & both unavailable this will them go green & red red is a no go national parks etc, green is restricted need permission or to check further.
Hope all this helps it is complicated :mad: if you don't know how to use but once used a few times it does get easier. :) :D

thanks Dave thats a huge help, been overlaying them onto google earth. very time consuming.
i have the gold atlas and those maps pretty much show what im after but too hard too scan and overlay.

on a paper map i have it shows surfacing and workings that i cannot get to show up on geovic, does anyone know where this info can be found? online maps etc that i can use to overlay?
i only know of geovic. sorry to be a hassle.
thanks guys.

thanks Nugget they are great,
since im only fresh to the hobby i know almoast nothing :(
i have found 3 bits in 1 spot and 1 nugget in another
im trying to overlay info onto google earth where i have the spots marked to see why i found gold there and how i can find more in that area.
but cant find the source, im sure there was a reef at the top of the hill but cant find any info for an overlay.
seeing as i have gone out a number of times since, in numerous areas of the triangle empty handed i thought why not go back to where ive found gold?
surely this gold cant be on its own? any tips? :D

Hi, I have experimented with geovic few time but with no result, I wish tha someone can explain to me what to do.
I live in Victoria end detect in the golden triangle.
Cheers

hi every one was just going to aske if some one would be willing to help me, with geo vic maps webpage, im having trouble getting up leads and reefs on my map, I don't understand the terminology enough,, and cart get the info up,in relation to gold bearing areas, would be greatful for any help . thanks mark

Open map layers
Tick/mark. Leads & working details.
I also open Topographic and tick/ mark Watercourses & Lakes
That should get you started, shows all the old workings, zoom into the area you're interested in.
Cheers Tom

Spent about three hours yesterday trying to bring up Leads and Working Details and finally found that the map has to be zoomed in to around 1:100,000 for it to work. Top right corner of map for zoom options.

Cheers
Mal

Does anyone know if you can overlay all the Geovic maps info onto Google earth so you can see it over the actual ground your investigating? I have seen it done before but I have no idea myself.

Cheers,
Matt

Hey MJB I'm with you ... would love to learn how to overlay different maps, Geovic/Mem. Map/old goldfields maps.
As you mentioned examples exist, we just need someone savvy enough to try to explain the 'how to' to the cyber challenged fraternity (and yes I know that we could study up on it and probably work it out, just too time challenged to put up with the frustration).
Cheers Tom

Yeah Tom...I am a bit computer illiterate when it comes to these things too. At the moment I am overlaying my Doug Stone map of the Ararat gold field by putting it up next to my computer and getting a better picture that way. Its a bit of a nuisance but I am getting there.

Cheers,
Matt

It would take a mini-course to teach this stuff. I did a day google earth course at work (the commercial version - which is about the same but corporations have to pay to use) and I am just starting to get my head around it. Same with GIS data - GIS data software, map conversions, Memory Map, google maps, blah blah blah. AND THEN - converting chains to metres to long and lats, upside down maps etc etc. Ever seen a Victorian goldfields Chinese map? bloody hell!!!!!!!

My old mates trick? Blank butchers paper - a compass, a set of coloured pencils a topo map and about 30 years experience. :lol:

there is no 3D modelling but there is a topo layer in the layers toggle - it will show contours etc so you will need to have an understanding of how contour lines are representative of heights, ground layout etc in 2d. if you want 3d modelling, go and check out a site like 'memory maps'. It has full 1:25,000 vic coverage with 3d modelling.

Latest posts