Murrindindi Scenic Reserve (North of Melbourne)

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is one of my absolute favorite places to get away for a few days!
The Murrindindi Scenic Reserve is located approximately an hour and a bit from Melbourne, smack bang in the middle of the Toolangi State Forest between Healesville and Yea.
There are over 100 different camping spots to chose from, all of which have been separately fenced with most of them also having a fire pit and hot plate attached.
The fishing is good if you take the time to find a good spot, with blackfish almost a guaranteed catch, and rainbow trout around in good numbers. Using worms with a sinker would be the best method.
The walking tracks up thru the bush are spectacular, with tracks varying from a short 1 hour return walk to the Cascade Waterfall, to the 6 hour return walk along the Murrindindi River Walk.
If your into 4 wheel driving or dirt bike riding, this place is also for you!
The mornings are cold and crisp, but boiling some water in a billy or saucepan on the coals of the previous nights fire always makes for a good coffee.
Firewood is everywhere, just bring a chainsaw and you will get yourself enough to last a few nights.
There are 6 separate camping grounds to choose from, each of which consisting of between 10 - 25 camp sites.
Toilets are located at each camping ground, with flushable toilets located at the 'Ferns Camp'.
Between Monday to Thursday nights, you will find that there will generally be very few camping at the reserve. Friday thru to Sunday can be a bit busier, but there are always camping sites to find to occupy.
Financially, spending a few nights at the Murrindindi Scenic Reserve doesnt break the bank, as the cost is only $7 per car per night. An honesty box is placed at the entrance where you obtain your permit.
I have attached a link to both the Camping information, and the bushwalking tracks.

http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/__data/as...FS0010-Murrindindi-Scenic-Reserve-Camping.pdf
http://www.dse.vic.gov.au/__data/as...Murrindindi-Scenic-Reserve-walking-tracks.pdf

I have never thought about gold prospecting in the creek, however i have read that many moons ago the area was mined and gold was found. Maybe it would be worth the effort to run a sluice for a few hours!

This area was decimated by the Black Saturday Bushfires, and a ton of money has been spent to restore it to its original state. Although i would argue it is in much better condition now that it ever has been!!
If you live in Victoria, and your looking to get away for a few days - do yourself a favour and consider this wonderful place. I call it one of Victorias best kept secrets!

Hope 2 ride the Beemer down that way towards the end of 2013 so I may try 2 check it out !!!!

L/R

Its a great spot. I forgot to add that the Murrindindi River (more like a creek) runs the entire length of the camping ground.
Nothing better than waking up to the sounds of birds and water trickling down the stream!

Thread dig!!!

Local spot for me and taking the kids there this weekend. Ill take some pics, pretty cool area for camping, drop toilets, waterfalls, 4wding, etc.

Loads of room, used to be open camping views of river back in the 90s but after the horrible black Saturday they created segregated camp spots with no river views but a short 30m walk, first world problems!

Solo daddy kids weekend so no prospecting but the area had a small rush but only small alluvial type. Loads of granite and pyrite which is amazing to see in the river, you get excited seeing the thousands of shinny bits in the rivers lol

Ill try and entertain kids and have a squirt with the 21 but wont have any joy but happy to get out of the house!

The weather will be perfect :perfect: I'm sure you and your family will have a ball :trophy: it's good fun having Dad's weekends away with the kids :Y:

How do you thank posts on here?

Great little spot for quick weekends. Its always got me thinking of an unknown reef in the area as we all do chasing the dream lol.

The area has the most intense granite and pyrites mixture which the old timers found out the hard way it wasnt good but credit to them the signs wouldve been good unfortunately but Alas not the best mixture!

Still, a great place close to Melb suburbs for a good weekend.

The waterfalls are worth the 1km walk!

Yeah that sux mate and shits me to tears as its state forest!

Lucky my neighbour can look after my dog but its crap I agree!

My thinking is 40 camp sites in each 6 or so spots would be a disaster for general camping but yeah I dont have an answer to that mate, certainly sux leaving my dog at home when I go up there!

AB said:
Thread dig!!!

Local spot for me and taking the kids there this weekend. Ill take some pics, pretty cool area for camping, drop toilets, waterfalls, 4wding, etc.

Loads of room, used to be open camping views of river back in the 90s but after the horrible black Saturday they created segregated camp spots with no river views but a short 30m walk, first world problems!

Solo daddy kids weekend so no prospecting but the area had a small rush but only small alluvial type. Loads of granite and pyrite which is amazing to see in the river, you get excited seeing the thousands of shinny bits in the rivers lol

Ill try and entertain kids and have a squirt with the 21 but wont have any joy but happy to get out of the house!

Have to agree it is a top little spot :Y: can be rather busy at times.
Most 4x4ers in the north/ north east and further afield have been to Toolangi :Y:
Years ago Id love nothing better than jumping on my xr600 with a few of the boys on there bikes and take off from diamond Creek and ride all the back roads ( and small sections of main roads) all the way up to Toolangi and back :Y:
Great ride and great place :)

Also agree great spot.

But since the fires it has changed. No more free camping and no more open areas to camp dogs were allowed.
Don't get me wrong there is some Merritt to the changes the main things are great facilities and paid sites tends to be more family orientated.

The river is almost unfish able now due to so many trees across the river and no dogs
But it is what it is.
For memory these were taken at Bull Creek
Photos were taken April 2018

1550907047_img_7771.jpg

1550909787_img_7770_1.jpg

1550909805_img_7772_1.jpg

Latest posts