A Durikai Rock

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I found them also at carbean road fossicking site didnt know what they were so are the hot rocks

Well, after having my Eureka stolen from my house (along with everything else of any liquid value that I once owned some 18 months ago, I'm heading to the shop tomorrow to pick up an SDC. Then heading out west of Warwick for five to seven days to roll the dice (on an uneven surface ;)). Boy, I can't wait. Got that itch again. Will be a lot of good fun irrelevant of the result. Was keen to head down for some gems south of the NSW border, but thought it would be wise to stay in QLD due to Covid madness and the necessity to keep my day job in the unlikely event of a full border lock down. You blokes had any luck in the interim? K Ken, hope you're still on the chase mate.

Update on the holiday trip.....no yeller, bet you guys ain't suprised, LOL.....but , had a bloody ripper of a time out there with the missus, camped at Glendon and did Durikai (North + Carbean Rd for a day) and Talgai (Shanty Gully) + other walk in locations(my 2wd Starlet is a good rig but has its limits). Plenty of the usual (lead) and got the hang of the new SDC on it, pulling 22s (no shell) at a foot, mostly from under the Salt Bush like vegetation where I assume many wouldn't be willing to risk back problems and getting tick ridden. It has been real dry out there in the recent times which has killed 20 + percent of the trees, which now with the wet are falling over. Three or four of the big ones went over within acoustic range and much of the ground surface area is now inaccessible, bit of a worry safety wise. A lot of areas I explored a year or two ago that were dirt without vegetation are now waist high covered with grass. The place now needs a good bit of dry and a fire to take care of the build up (and a real flood after that to take a layer off for the gold!). Anyway will head back out when I get a chance (break from work) for the next crack or to another location if it presents. GL guys, hope you get win. Thought I better tell it as it went.

Success...tiny, but first one with the tector. Came out of pipe clay about 200 m East of the puddler at Durikai.....Finally got one. Was starting to think it was impossible.
1617509179_20210404_140321.jpg

Splinter said:
Wow, what a patch! Did they come in with some heavy equipment (excavator or smilar) afterwards to get the deeper stuff?

No, no machines were used here. It was all done with pick, crowbar and shovels. It's only 50km from Karratha by road and there's a resident mining inspector there who does his best to keep everybody within the rules.

Nice nugget Splinter :) have you really be at it since 2017?

Moneybox said:
Splinter said:
Wow, what a patch! Did they come in with some heavy equipment (excavator or smilar) afterwards to get the deeper stuff?

No, no machines were used here. It was all done with pick, crowbar and shovels. It's only 50km from Karratha by road and there's a resident mining inspector there who does his best to keep everybody within the rules.

Nice nugget Splinter :) have you really be at it since 2017?

Thanks for the reply Moneybox, hard work out there in WA with the crowbars etc. Bet it was worth it for them though.

Wish I could say it has been a long time between drinks out at Warwick Qld, but truth is that it was a 4 year walk to the pub for the first one :lol: .The new tector (SDC) has made a big difference, always come home with something out of the pan in the past, but my old Eureka was not really up to the job. Anyway, now for the challenge of finding something bigger. GLTAGH (Good Luck to All Gold Hunters).

Latest posts