Some gemstones I found over the weekend!

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Went out digging on Saturday with a friend who was kind enough to share a bit of his knowledge with me, and these are the results. I'm over the moon with what I managed to find, the colors are just stunning. Now I believe all the red stones are Red Zircon's and everything else is Sapphire in Royal Blue, Cornflour, Green and a few inbetweeners.

Safe to say I'll be back out there digging as soon as I can get a free weekend again! Sorry I can't divulge the location as I'm sworn to secrecy other than it is in Victoria.

Cheers
Adam

p.s. the Cornflour ones look almost clear in the photos and the long teardrop shaped one in the middle is one of the Green stones, doesn't show real great in the photo.

They look fantastic Adam....You almost gave the spot away mate....You've narrowed the location down to Victoria :eek: ...shouldn't be too hard to find the hole you dug now mate....lol Cheers Wal, :)

What is it in? It looks like one of those cake covers from Woolies which makes the stones quite large.

Newbie said:
What is it in? It looks like one of those cake covers from Woolies which makes the stones quite large.

Its in a lid from one of those yoghurt and muesli breakfast snacks sitting on top of a Dolphin torch, the biggest stones are only 1.75 - 1.90 carats so quite small. I'm hoping to get some cut but I'm not sure if any are big enough, guess I'll find out soon enough. I'll need to keep digging if I want the bigger ones ;)

Adam

Lovely colours Adam, 1.75ct and 1.90ct are plenty big enough to send off to get cut mate. From what I have been told you'll lose upto 50% in the process though. I'm waiting on my first batch to come back from Thailand which should be any week now :D . Be careful mate you could find yourself very much addicted to the Sapphires :lol: :lol:

Cheers

Col

Hunting the yellow said:
have you got any think for size they look like the size of a fifty cent coin some of them :D

Hey Sim

Nah, they are only quite small, even the biggest sapph there is only 1.95 carat so maybe the size of a pea but only half as thick. The Zircon are all quite small. Not even sure any would make cutters for shoulder stones etc. But they sure are bright and colorful :D

Adam

Damn nice collection of stones there Adam,beautiful colours.
The family and I are heading up to Inverall for the June long weekend,gunna do a bit of poking around,will be very happy if we end up with a quarer of what you have.
Well done mate! :)
Cheers,
weeg.

Latest posts