Australia Critters

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, I need a little conformation here...

A good friend of mine has a lady friend here from Melbourne and I'm being told stories of spiders that leap 30 feet and suck your eyes out and snakes that hunt you down to turn your flesh into jello and plants that kill horses... I know that Australia has some nasty critters but plants that kill horses...

Most of those deadly animals and toxic plants can be found at one of the locations 'I' prospect.................better keep it to myself :eek: don't want anyone getting hurt!!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Seriously though, a story I heard :rolleyes: there was a lethal poison out years ago (now banned) called 'lucijet' (don't mind the spelling) from what I was led to believe it came from a plant in Western Australia, it was a highly toxic residual poision, if your tipped a tiny bit on a some fox bait and a fox ate it the fox died, if a crow then fed on the fox it died, if ants then fed on the crow the ants died and so on, I'm guessing that's why it got banned,
Mrs dwt would be more the expert on toxic plants to horses, but there are some plants out there that can be lethal to sheep and cattle as well 8.(

Gota luv natural born killers... i know them all in my area . And i tell ya the more i prospect the more i bump into them..literally!! walked into spider web fell over stinging nettle bush landed on log upset snake ran away in fright and confusion getting strung up with wait awhile vine...hahahahaha it wasnt funny at the time. You gota do your research on your deadlies forsure.
The stinging nettle was torture but glad it was my first and last lesson to be alert ...

1432243493_tumblr_mcudvgvwm21r5523vo1_500.jpg

1432244252_img_20150522_073640.jpg

These are my favorite when I'm out Bush. Big webs and doing the super Web dance when you walk between two trees haha. Where did he go? Is he on me! !!???
1432244661_img_20150522_074315.jpg
1432244688_img_20150522_074238.jpg

On the bright side you wouldn't go hungry if you got lost!

Trap Door Spider I dug up while detecting (In situ after putting soil in my hands looking for a target). This is the poor cousin to our Funnel Web, I was happy to have this camouflaged in my scoop and not his big cousin. This spider is still in the top half of venomous spiders but not on top. Funny how we Aussies think.
1432249299_funnel-webspider2_zps19eb4d8c.jpg

That stinging Tree is up around Mackay, A Bloke up there had a Berry from it hit him on the Nose and he said he felt like his nose was pulsing and getting bigger and smaller each time and A Horse did Die because of it, It got stung on the face and it smash its head on everything trying to stop it or get off what was causing the Pain,

Hahaha some funny err harsh realities of australia portrayed above. I have an eastern brown snake living under my house alongside a blue tongued lizard, redback spiders under the bathroom cupboard and every chair plus white tailed spiders roaming all over the place. The only real danger in my house is the girlfriend

nuggetino said:
Hahaha some funny err harsh realities of australia portrayed above. I have an eastern brown snake living under my house alongside a blue tongued lizard, redback spiders under the bathroom cupboard and every chair plus white tailed spiders roaming all over the place. The only real danger in my house is the girlfriend

GEEZE, A Girl Friend, Watch ya self Mate, They are Still working on An Anti Venom For Those Critters, But it's Hard going coz No Two Have the Same Sting,,

Bugga,, Time to Lock the Doors??

John

Latest posts