Star sapphire cab

Prospecting Australia

Help Support Prospecting Australia:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Seen them nice stars ,and am very interested in knowing a bit about them .
At what stage of polish do you start to see the star?
Do you have to centre it before you start?
Can the star only be a cab( round/dome ).
I have no idea about these beauties ,can any one shed some light?

Stars can be any rounded cab shape Varts, I think it's the rounded shape that brings out the optical illusion. I know very little about cabbing but I know you have to have the sapphire oriented the correct way or the star will not show.

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHjmzCYNXbk[/video]

[video=480,360]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wDTIB43jyk[/video]

I couldn't find any better vids on the subject, have seen a great vid on it but can't remember where.

I've cabbed a few but only one decent-sized one. A jeweller I know was out the other day checking out my new faceting machine and he spied the star (it's about 15 carats finished) and wanted to buy it to make a ring for himself. I was pretty happy, I must have done an ok job if a jeweller wants to buy something I have done. Most likely we'll just do a trade, the star for a nice piece of bling for wife.

The star does have to be oriented Varts. It shows across the crystal, imagine a six-sided quartz crystal sliced across so you're looking at a hexagon. It's on the face of the hexagon that the star will show, not down the length of the crystal. If you cab it the wrong way I'm told you end up with as little tiny star squashed down in a corner of the stone or none at all. Where the gold/bronze sheen shows the strongest is where the star will lie, a bit of honey on the rough stone helps it show. Put that sheen smack in the middle of the cab.

Shape the cab as normal. When you start smoothing it, don't use any fixed grits like a cabbing wheel over about #600. I had hell trouble polishing the thing, the surface just kept peeling. Probably because it contains so much rutile that the softer rutile crystals chew away faster than the much harder corundum and it sort of undercuts and little bits flake off. Everything over #600 must be loose diamond grits in the bit of experience I've had with them.

16696311796_e227b571ae_c.jpg

A flat surface ground on the back of the one above.

15857901588_3247cc51da_c.jpg

Yeah I second that ,nice work
And thanks for the info
Very interesting

Cheers guys. As usual, the camera doesn't show what the eye sees. The star is actually more sharply defined than in the photo and the cracks are extremely fine and not easily noticable. The camera has downplayed the best feature while accentuating the worst :/

If you're going to do one Varts, definately no fixed grits over #600 (I only took them from shaping on a #220 cabbing wheel to finer shaping on a #280 resin-bonded wheel, then everything was loose grits in grooved cabbing laps and finally to #60 000 on a cabbing machine polishing pad. Seemed to work quite well. It was proving impossible to pre-polish on the finer resin-bonded cabbing wheels so I did a bit of research and found the loose grits piece of advice. I tried it and it sorted the problem straight away.

Latest posts